Healthy Sleep

The Mitsubishi ASX as a Viable Platkar Alternative

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
iandvl

The Mitsubishi ASX as a Viable Platkar Alternative

Post by iandvl »

It's been a tough few weeks. A day or two before we headed off to mini-River Trip and Kruger, some moron in Pretoria drove into the back of the LF's corsa at flat taps. It was not fantastic for Liana, as it meant concussion, a cracked C2 vertebra and spending the next two weeks in a neck brace. We asked advice about her doing the river trip, and doctor said it will be find provided she just walked over the "bumpy sections". Since we only did the Klein Lethaba section of the river - which is a lot tamer than the Molototsi, it worked out OK. It was rather funny watching her trying to spot game in the Kruger as she could not turn her head.... :lol: :lol:

In any case, I was at home for a day after that trip before I flew out to Angola again for two weeks. I've had excellent service from TuffStuff and they've impressed me yet again, but it has been a bit of a nightmare sorting out insurance (as well as some other personal issues) from afar. We've also been reduced to just a single vehicle. Liana does not like driving the Patrol in the city (she does like driving it when we're offroad) and she has been borrowing her mother's little Hyundai or using Uber to get to work and back. The priority for us upon me getting back from Angola has been to get her a new car.

I stayed in Brits for many years and know various people there - including one of the big vehicle magnates there. He owns Brits Nissan, Brits Ford, Brits Haval, Brits Honda etc. I gave him a call last week, and found an absolute gem. A 2017 2L Mitsubishi ASX with very, very, very low mileage full service history etc. It's top of the range - ie: leather seats, panoramic roof - even heated seats etc. We paid the deposit and sorted out the paper work yesterday. I've just transferred the outstanding balance. And so we'll be collecting her "new" car tomorrow morning. I'll post some photos when we collect it.

Overall, I was super impressed with the test drive. It's rock solid on the road. Being the luddite I am, I'm not totally happy with all the electrickery inside the thing, but it is the first Mitsu I've had. Perhaps I shall buy myself a Pajero one day after all and figure out the elusive Super Select everyone speaks about... Perhaps, being a fellow Mitsu owner, even wheelbarrow repairman from the Eastern Cape might decide to bury the hatchet and convince people that my comments on the Mitsu section at some other forum were sincere. And they may let me back... Fat chance that... :lol: :lol:

Anyways, I'll post a few photos when we collect the vehicle tomorrow. But so far I have been super impressed with the new vehicle. Still early days though...
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Enjoy the car.

Be careful what you say about the Wheelbarrow repair guy. He's Manny's hero
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

FWM

Post by FWM »

Congrats Ian

They are great cars.
Its kinda funny that you bought a Mitsubussie after the SS debacle

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Thanks Willem. I am Super Selective in terms of vehicles. But I am Super Impressed with that car. We collect it tomorrow.

But as per my chat the other day, if that deal had fallen through, Liana and I would have come through for a visit in the Woesrand to check your options. Appreciate the effort in any case.

Perhaps various folks see it as an olive branch to the larger Mitsu community ? Except for wannabe HR's and wheelbarrow repairmen. The wheelbarrow repairman has probably already reported this post to Dirk.... :)

Perhaps I should join one of the Mitsu forums and post this there too.... :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I once famously said "Mitsubish is like Zimbabwe - everyone likes them and wishes they would do better."

Mitsubishi SA could be better- they are a Nissan-Class brand, but the vehicles are good (unlike Nissans non Patrol offerings).
It's a pity Mitsubushi joined the Renault/Nissan/Dacia cabal though.

But I think it will be a good vehicle, certainly cheaper than a similar RAV, and better specced.

Good luck, hope she enjoys it...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Nice cars and safe cars.
Enjoy Ian.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

We collected the vehicle on Saturday. It is due for a service which Brits Nissan is arranging for us here at Mitsu in Pretoria East - at their cost. :) It's a little early to actually give any details regarding consumption / similar. As I said originally, it is full of electrickery, and the LF did not clear the counters before driving the car back to Pretoria. She did, however, figure out how to pair her phone with the thing and similar. Priorities differ for folk I guess... :lol: :lol:

I'm a decent bloke though - I spent 30 minutes with the service manual yesterday learning how all the things worked and then set up the computer / display in the units she wanted after giving her a quick crash-course in mitsu-computer-thing-101... I also took the car and filled it up yesterday afternoon and reset all of the various things, so should get decent averages in terms of consumption and stuff soon. Otherwise, very happy with the vehicle. It is rock solid on the road and the 2L petrol motor makes decent power. So one needs to focus or one is over the speed limit rather quickly... :lol: :lol:

Dealership-side, Brits Nissan is really one of the few Nissan dealerships that are up to scratch. Sterling service and very impressed with them all.

And yes - pics or it did not happen. Liana with her "new" ASX.
asx.jpg
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Brits is generally a crappy place, but strangely most of the car dealerships (even Mahindra) are bloody good. Very weird. Like finding culture in Brakpan.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Lohan Otto is the owner of the Brits Auto group (http://www.britsauto.biz). This group owns the Nissan, Ford, GWM, Haval and even Honda dealerships in Brits. I'm pretty sure he probably has an interest in Mahindra as well. Anyways, he is a hands-on DP / owner and very good. You can see this in the staff, service etc. It is one of the few Nissan dealerships I may even take my Patrol to... :lol: :lol:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

I have had an ASX for my wife for almost 5 years. It is quite a high spec for the money, and best of all, it is not a hijack target.
The good ground clearance and great suspension works well on our crappy roads. And it has no fear of dirt roads and is great and comfortable for driving long distances too. Congrats and enjoy!
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

iandvl wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:46 am
ll.

And yes - pics or it did not happen. Liana with her "new" ASX.

asx.jpg
Congrats many happy miles
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys