Maxxis Tyres

The long-term Mahindra Scorpio S11 Adventure Edition review thread

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Wat is die terugvoer van die Handelaar oor al die snags?
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

LesseW wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:11 pm
Wat is die terugvoer van die Handelaar oor al die snags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wessel hulle het die speed sensor vervang, maar dit het nie die probleem in die geheel opgelos nie - die cruise control is nou heelwat beter op 120kph, maar spring nog rond bo en onder dit. Hulle vermoed die probleem le dalk ook op die instrument cluster en ek het met hulle ooreengekom as die kar ingaan vir sy 10k km diens, moet hulle dit vervang - ek gaan nie weer agter hulle aan ry nie.

Die TPMS sensors het ek eenvoudig net reset, toe werk alles - het 10 minute gevat.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Goed om te hoor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

A few days ago I e-mailed our local dealer to ask about fitting aux lights (spot lights to the lesser English speaking members) and whether it would void the warranty if I do so.

48h later I got a reply with the following requirements:

1) It has to have its own switch; and

2) It must go through its own relay; and

3) Must be fitted by a qualified auto-electrician.

I went with the Hella Comet range - not the best in the world, but it does the job fine - got a special on the 500 series for R900-00 at Midas. It is the same lights I had fitted to my Jimny and NP300.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I had Comets on my NP300 as well. Great lights. Have Warne on the Patrol, but looking at replacing them some time. I lost the covers for them years ago. In the meantime, they have been under water a few times, and the reflectors are not looking good anymore. I presume I will go back to Hellas - most bang for your buck. Without the lightbar douchiness. :)

Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

grips

Post by grips »

11, 2km/l that's good
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Just a few more days and I'm off to the coast with both the Ford and the Curry Cruiser.

The Ford drives sand well and I am anxious to see what the Mahindra can do!
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

So I am back from the coast and it is time to report on the Scorpio's performance.

First the bad:

1) Unless you are a midget with abnormally short legs, you cannot totally fold the passenger bench down.

2) Deflating the tyres to anything below 1,2 bar sets off an array of warning messages: the first being low pressure and the second a possible puncture. The last-mentioned may be due to the fact that I deflated the tyres while the engine was idling. At some stage a 'Merican voice starts kakking you out, but this only happened once.

3) The smallish fuel tank of 60lts. I filled up in Oshakati and then again in Otjiwarongo. From Otjiwarongo to Henties Bay is about 460km. Although it at that stage showed a consumption of 12,8km/l, you have constant range anxiety when driving up and down the beach. An additional 20lt would do just fine.

4) It lacks a bit of oomf compared to the Ford and Navara. You have to keep the engine revving between 3000rmp and 3500rpm to get the most out of it in thick sand. This obviously in turn will affect the fuel consumption. If you however keep in track, you can drop the revs to 2000rpm, but when you have to skip a few tracks, you need to rev it.

5) Due to its flat arse, all the dust and salt spray (from the salt roads) accumulate on the back door and window - I suspect its shape creates low air pressure at the back.

6) The moment you switch on the headlamps, the LCD screen of the radio darkens automatically. At night time this works fine, but in misty daylight conditions you can see almost nothing on the screen. I tried to fiddle with the settings, but to no avail.

Now the good:

1) Fully laden with 2 adults, a dog and 2 weeks worth of luggage, it showed a 12,6 km/l consumption up to the coats at 125km/h. When I left the coast yesterday, and combined with beach driving while towing a trailer, it showed 10,3km/l. Most of the driving was done by my father, so I cannot tell you what the actual consumption in 4x4 was, but I suspect it was in the range of 7-8km/l.

2) To get to one fishing spot known as "Trappies", you have to go down a dune. In 4H and with a trailer, it idled down in first gear beautifully. Compared to my Ford where I had to engage HDC before attempting it, it did really really well.

3) Apart from needing to rev the engine, it drove sand quite well. Comparing apples to apples (power and torque), it would drive circles around my previous NP300 in the sand.

4) My mom and dad, both being in their 60s, enjoyed the vehicle. They mentioned that it was an easy drive and more comfortable than they initially expected. The only thing they bemoaned was the lack of a "oh-shit"-handle on the A-pillar which would have assisted them getting into and out of the cabin.

5) The interior cleans easily. The home we rented had a vacuum cleaner and every day we returned from fishing, I would vacuum out the sand and mica from the carpets. Although the carpets are cheap, one swipe of the vacuum nozzle is enough to suck up all the sand. A big plus is the small (or narrow) dash - just as easy to clean.

My parents are still at the coast and they plan to return on Thursday - I'll then be able to report on the total consumption figures for the whole trip.
Attachments
20220417_110500.jpg
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

ridr

Post by ridr »

Any updates to your long term thoughts? My wife just got the Adventure model yesterday as an 'affordable' family car that we can also hopefully have lots of fun in. This is our first 4x4, so we have a lot to learn.

Slowly discovering the little quirks that I overlooked initially, but still loving our decision.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Being as utilitarian as it is, there will be a few quirks:

1) The infotainment system sits a bit too low, especially when the reverse camera is activated;

2) A pillars generate a bit of wind noise;

3) The cruise control sometimes jumps around a bit;

4) The TPMS system works well, but other brands work much much better etc. etc. etc.

But I love it to bits and it stands proud in my garage.

I have no complaints, it is economical given its size, it is more comfortable than a 76 and it is built like a tank.

It is very good value for money.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

it can be side mirrors,in mine case it was.
try this:

on a inside,where side mirror is,there is triangular plastic with 2 caps
remove caps with thin blade or screwdriver and undo 2 screws and than remove plastic
you will see rubber grommet that guides control cable
grommet is thin and have incisions
cover all those with silicon and you are done
i did both sides.

wind/whistle noise is sometimes generated when at speed, high pressure inside escapes to lower pressure outside.

if i failed to make sense, let me know and ill take photos.

FWM

Post by FWM »

I am going to try this Joe.

I had some wind noise coming from the back as well. I sealed those rear vents off with sound deadening material.
I guess the Indians don't travel as fast as we do so it doesn't annoy them.

Its only really a problem over 120km/h

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

I just turn the volume up.

It's is the only time I am legally allowed to shout at my wife.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser

FWM

Post by FWM »

joe wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:11 am

it can be side mirrors,in mine case it was.
try this:

on a inside,where side mirror is,there is triangular plastic with 2 caps
remove caps with thin blade or screwdriver and undo 2 screws and than remove plastic
you will see rubber grommet that guides control cable
grommet is thin and have incisions
cover all those with silicon and you are done
i did both sides.

wind/whistle noise is sometimes generated when at speed, high pressure inside escapes to lower pressure outside.

if i failed to make sense, let me know and ill take photos.
Good morning master Joe.

Thank you. I have done this and it seems to work. It took me around 10 minutes.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

I have swapped the Ranger for the S11 for a few weeks, just to get a proper feel of how the S11 does duty at the coast, compared to the Ranger.

First and foremost, it does gravel better than the Ford, unladen of course. Being a manual, it gets better consumption too.

It does sand quite well, but not as well as the Ford, and is less practical at the beach - there is simply no substitute for being able to chuck sandy chairs and tables on the back of a bakkie. This can be solved by building myself a trailer (purpose made for fishing) and by fitting a roofrack to the S11 (not that I use a roofrack much, but at least I can affix the awning thereto).

Overall I feel less sympathy for the S11 than the Ranger and I don't feel bad thrashing it around a bit, which it seemingly can handle with ease. The S11 is a no-frills mechanically honest vehicle.

I am swapping it again for the Ranger this weekend.

I have missed the Ranger though, the auto box works better in Swakopmund and I miss some of the smaller luxuries, not that the S11 doesn't have them, but they work much better in the Ranger.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser