Maxxis Tyres

Nice Standard Features on Vehicles

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
Mad Manny

Nice Standard Features on Vehicles

Post by Mad Manny »

I've owned/own a few vehicles that had nifty features I wish they fitted to all vehicles:

1. I had a Merc C220, one of the 1st on the road, it had a button you could press that would continue circulating the air in the car for 30mins - very nice when parking in the sun at the shops on a hot day.i

2. My daily 2010 Isuzu KB5 300 D-Teq has two nice features:
For about a minute after you switch off & remove the key, you can still operate the windows.
If you press the remote to lock it, then press the remote and hold it, it will close the windows if left open.

I wish Fearless had the above features.

What small features like those did you find useful on a vehicle you've owned?

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Disco Nic

Post by Disco Nic »

Mad Manny wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 pm
I've owned/own a few vehicles that had nifty features I wish they fitted to all vehicles:

1. I had a Merc C220, one of the 1st on the road, it had a button you could press that would continue circulating the air in the car for 30mins - very nice when parking in the sun at the shops on a hot day.i

2. My daily 2010 Isuzu KB5 300 D-Twq has two nice features:
For about a minute after you switch off & remove the key, you can still operate the windows.
If you press the remote to lock it, then press the remote and hold it, it will close the windows if left open.

I wish Fearless had the above features.

What small features like those did you find useful on a vehicle you've owned?
The Duster and the GWM have a time delay for windows. Works nicely.

I also have remote start on the GWM, thought it was a novelty but it’s a nice feature to have on really hot days. Start the car 5 minutes before I get in and the A/C has some time to cool down the cab. Very nice.
2019 Renault Duster - Prestige
2023 GWM P-Series LS - Wuhan Warrior
2009 Echo 4 Off-Roader - Glamper

icemanza

Post by icemanza »

Headlight on for a minute after locking great to to see around car without tripping in hole. A lot of cars allow the opening and closing windows after turning the car off and removing the key until you open a door. Most higher end German cars and my D4 had the ability to close all windows and sunroof by holding remote buttons. One neat feature a couple of cars like the D4 had, and the BMWs were double locking, so if you broke a window, even you couldn't unlock the doors without a remote.
If you look at cars and what comes standard with them, I must give it to the Chinese. They pack everything into their cars and still don't have many optional after. I looked at the Haval H6 HEV super luxury, and it has every option as standard and still cheaper than its competition, same with the P-series. Manufacturers are taking us for fools. Volkswagen, for example, has base models with cloth seats worth more than top end Chinese and then still has R300k extras just to get you to the same level as the Chinese and Koreans. I predict the Japs and Germans are going to lose market share to the Chinese soon in SA due to our economy and the ridiculous price of cars. And have tou noticed the reliability, quality and saftey standards starting to surpass competition especially the smaller European brands like Renualt etc.
ICEMANZA (Richard)
SWAMBO (Angela)
4x4Action Group - 0320
ORRA Club Call Sign - AG30

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

Disco Nic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:18 pm
I also have remote start on the GWM, thought it was a novelty but it’s a nice feature to have on really hot days. Start the car 5 minutes before I get in and the A/C has some time to cool down the cab. Very nice.
Remote start is so useful for winching. At the RDW Jamboree it was such a breeze.
I wish they put the remote window opening and closing in the POER though. H9 had it and it was amazing.

The H9 had a feature that depending on which remote unlocks the car, the drivers seat and mirrors were auto adjusted to the drivers preference. Made my wife and Is days a lot better sharing the car.

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

All I need is aircon and power steering. And yes, I have owned many vehicles with neither.

All the rest is fluff, so much marketing crap that chases the prices up and that start failing after the warranty expires as they are considered "non-essential" when it comes to design.

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

One:
The Paj locks again after 30 seconds if you don't open a door.
Pretty irritating! :lol:

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

Agreed with Jakes

Only 'Luxury' I really enjoy enjoy in a vehicle is climate control. Especially when going off-roading or working on site. Temperature is controlled and avoid overcompensating and complaining passengers.

A vehicle fitted with Aircon, power steering, Automatic central locking, electric window winders and a radio(fitted with bluetooth) is more than anyone really needs.

All these functions of lights staying on, switching on for diagnostics at night, fans running, heating seats before you climb in, all run on your battery without any charge received, and will run down a batteries life performance faster and leave you stranded. Obviously also more things that could break and leave you stranded. One has to draw the line at some stage. Otherwise we could all just order ourselves autonomous vehicles, sit back, read your romantic novels whilst the vehicle paints your nails and compliments your boring life.
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Oh yes, I find automatic headlight activation (on/off based on ambient) quite OK, although most of the time I use the manual setting anyway.
What I consider retarded is auto windscreen wipers.......

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Jakes and Bugjuic - julle rowwe bliksems...
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Ricof4e wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:24 pm
Jakes and Bugjuic - julle rowwe bliksems...
Nie rof nie, net nie sagte Metromanne nie. Hel, daar is n ou op 4x4community wat sy Wrangler verkoop het omdat die deurknoppies te moeilik was om te druk en hy konnie die kar oopmaak nie........

OK, bygesê, dis n ou van Howick/Hillcrest en hulle is almal n bietjie sag.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... levered front vents in front dash
... crank start facility
... double heavy duty springs on rear axle
... off-center pumpkins on underside
... 360* roof guttering
... SFA
... centrifugal oil filter additional to normal one
... door latch thats also bottle opener
... etc ad infinitum ...
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Redman

Post by Redman »

I used to own a Discovery 3, so when I got my Isuzu after that I really appreciated the ignition and the key. Every time I put the key in the ignition in the Isuzu and turn it, it would start.
Then the Isuzu also had a crank that did not sh*t itself.

Swambo's Hyundai Tucson has cross traffic alert. Absolutely not needed, but once you have it, works great when pulling out of parking spots or the driveway. The Tucson also closes the air vents automatically when you enter a tunnel. Quite a nice little feature
Remote start. I thought this was a gimmick but we've had a really hot summer down here. Nice getting into a car that's been cooling down for the last minute or so