The House Doctor

Possible water in the rear diff

Offroad Vehicle Specific Discussions
HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

It is grease as CV joints are used on the rear drive.

As per Apoc, the diff breather setup is well engineered, with a breather pipe disappearing up inside the bodywork.

grips

Post by grips »

This.

Both Pajero setups not sure which on your Pajero uses. But these bearings are not vented by the diff breather.
I got water in a front hub bearing of the American Ranger. The vehicle were stuck in mud and water for five hours.

I checked diff`s and bearings shortly after recovered. It had breathers under the bonnet. Check all bearings and found no water in any. When I rebuild the diff`s I installed new seals and bearings. After the first three wheels were clear I decided not to open the last one. Murphy struck around 2000km later 250km from home. Water somehow got past the seals.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
bPfZtQ.jpg
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

grips wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:48 am
This.

Both Pajero setups not sure which on your Pajero uses. But these bearings are not vented by the diff breather.
I got water in a front hub bearing of the American Ranger. The vehicle were stuck in mud and water for five hours.

I checked diff`s and bearings shortly after recovered. It had breathers under the bonnet. Check all bearings and found no water in any. When I rebuild the diff`s I installed new seals and bearings. After the first three wheels were clear I decided not to open the last one. Murphy struck around 2000km later 250km from home. Water somehow got past the seals.

It’s pretty unusual for water to get past those seals as well as the grease and into the bearing !!

Not unheard of , again , if it’s hot when it’s submerged , the sudden contraction of grease and air can cause a vacuum which can suck liquid past the seal.

But for if to be that hot it’s either buggered anyway or the brakes were glowing , it’s also possible that the seal was previously damaged .

As you say though , if you do get a serious amount of water into the bearing you’ll know soon enough…
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

henris

Post by henris »

Taking the non return valve out of the breather, sorts this out. But it still needs to be extended to above the waterline. Mine are about 1m from the ground.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:15 am
Taking the non return valve out of the breather, sorts this out. But it still needs to be extended to above the waterline. Mine are about 1m from the ground.
the non return valve is there to prevent foreign materials (dust as well as water) from being sucked into the casing as it cools, but to allow pressure build up to be relieved as it heats.

Ideally, the casing should be under vacuum when cold. Even if the breather is run into the snorkel you should leave the non return valve in the line.

As far as it goes, we used to evacuate the gearboxes, diffs etc on some racing vehicles so they were close to complete vacuums to prevent frothing...

Works far better than snake oil to improve your lubrication performance!

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

This is the set up on my Paj rear diffImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

henris

Post by henris »

Apocalypse wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:36 pm
henris wrote:
the non return valve is there to prevent foreign materials (dust as well as water) from being sucked into the casing as it cools, but to allow pressure build up to be relieved as it heats.

There is a little cap, with a spring and the little seal. I just take the seal out. Leave the cap as well as the springs.

I have never had water in any of my diffs.

But I do have Uniglide FRC.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Apocalypse wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:36 pm
henris wrote:

There is a little cap, with a spring and the little seal. I just take the seal out. Leave the cap as well as the springs.

I have never had water in any of my diffs.

But I do have Uniglide FRC.

I'v never had water in my diffs either. I simply ensure they are properly vented and sealed. I only put oil in them.

Only ever broken a diff by applying too much torque to them. but you won'thave that problem with a Toyota motor.... not even if you've added super go faster snake oil....