The House Doctor

The Numbers......

Topics relating to the Forum
CornellMans

Post by CornellMans »

Maybe we should open a thread per 4x4 track / trip etc that we have done, a dedicated thread where people can review and rate their experience. Not saying that the threads for the specific gtg should be canned, but like building a catalog or encyclopedia of the tracks and trips with pics and videos. would be interesting to get more than one person's view on a particular track, river trip, lebombo trail trip etc.
2018 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 XLT AT
Wilderness 310

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Well said Ricoffy. I was very tempted to reply with a similar post to this one of yours on that other Forum thread, but sanity prevailed and I just moved on.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Paul#25 wrote:Well said Ricoffy. I was very tempted to reply with a similar post to this one of yours on that other Forum thread, but sanity prevailed and I just moved on.
Ditto
Flex is overrated

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Ricoffy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:33 am
A thread on another forum (where everything from wheel barrow axles to beards are discussed) was brought to my attention - some reminiscing occurred about lost and forgotten members - the majority of which are now members here, and one particular post struck a chord. Seemingly, and from their perspective, not much is going on here and that this forum will remain tiny in comparison - or so the post resonated.

I for one hope it does. People seem to forget that this is a dedicated 4x4 forum run on the initiative of the 4x4AG. We do not want wheelbarrow threads nor do we want to hear about someone begging for money nor do we want to hear what argument you may have had with the missus.

Thumbs up to the administrators, moderators and founders - keep this site dedicated to the cause as you have done so well over the past 2 years.

Beards are critical 4x4 accessories, and it seems many just can't grow a decent one.

Lets take Kingsley Holgate as an example - a magnificent beard, you'd need a Flame Thrower to soften that enough to trim it, the guy has a wealth of offroad knowledge and is generally an all round good guy.

The we have ASPW - Face like a baby's bottom , and the hole in the middle emits the same kind of stuff....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ricoffy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:33 am
A thread on another forum (where everything from wheel barrow axles to beards are discussed) was brought to my attention - some reminiscing occurred about lost and forgotten members - the majority of which are now members here, and one particular post struck a chord. Seemingly, and from their perspective, not much is going on here and that this forum will remain tiny in comparison - or so the post resonated.

I for one hope it does. People seem to forget that this is a dedicated 4x4 forum run on the initiative of the 4x4AG. We do not want wheelbarrow threads nor do we want to hear about someone begging for money nor do we want to hear what argument you may have had with the missus.

Thumbs up to the administrators, moderators and founders - keep this site dedicated to the cause as you have done so well over the past 2 years.
Thanks Ricoffy, I too was alerted to that Thread. Damassel is sorely missed there :lol:
We are not in competition with any other Forum.
We are not post chasing.
We are a dedicated Forum for enthusiasts.

As for the silly comments that this Forum is dead - over the past 60 days this Forum got more people into Low Range despite having 240 times less members - meaning we are over 240 times better at our purpose.
... and that, in the end, is all that really matters to us.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

CornellMans wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:54 am
Maybe we should open a thread per 4x4 track / trip etc that we have done, a dedicated thread where people can review and rate their experience. Not saying that the threads for the specific gtg should be canned, but like building a catalog or encyclopedia of the tracks and trips with pics and videos. would be interesting to get more than one person's view on a particular track, river trip, lebombo trail trip etc.
Cornell, we have place for this in 4x4 Chatter, broken down per province.
Here's the link to Gauteng;
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=368

You are welcome to add any other province & do your reports there.
If it's out of SA, add the Country.
I'll happily make it a sticky.

For Example:
Limpopo 4x4 Trails
or...
Swaziland 4x4 Trails.
Etc...

The guys can search by province/country, or by the trail name (if spelt correctly).

Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Mad Manny wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 am
Thanks Ricoffy, I too was alerted to that Thread. Damassel is sorely missed there :lol:
We are not in competition with any other Forum.
We are not post chasing.
We are a dedicated Forum for enthusiasts.

As for the silly comments that this Forum is dead - over the past 60 days this Forum got more people into Low Range despite having 240 times less members - meaning we are over 240 times better at our purpose.
... and that, in the end, is all that really matters to us.
Manny I must say, as someone who enjoys both Forums. something got lost with the split of the two forums. Many members here are very knowledgeable on many subjects and very outspoken on all those subjects.

Yourself Xj and Apocalypse is just some whose wider posts I miss. You rebelled against a 10 percent moderation or as you called it censorship and put in a 100 percent censorship so that arguments cannot break out.

This forum is doing well for what it is but I miss a good argument or just plain obnoxiousness of some of you.

Have a great day.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Mal Hannes wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 am
Manny I must say, as someone who enjoys both Forums. something got lost with the split of the two forums. Many members here are very knowledgeable on many subjects and very outspoken on all those subjects.

Yourself XJ and Apocalypse is just some whose wider posts I miss. You rebelled against a 10 percent moderation or as you called it censorship and put in a 100 percent censorship so that arguments cannot break out.

This forum is doing well for what it is but I miss a good argument or just plain obnoxiousness of some of you.

Have a great day.
Just to clarify: My departure there was not related to the departure of many others like Apoc, XJ Junkie etc.
That exodus was motivated by, what they felt, was heavy handed moderation.

My story was a different story all together:
I had arranged over 66 'GTG's' there, some of the longest Threads (Suzuki section & Pub for example) were started by me.
The 4x4 Action Group had a section on that Forum for club communication.
Everything was going well.
Then slowly the usefulness of the 4x4Action Group section was eroded. Guests could not see it.
Then it stopped coming up on the latest posts feed etc.

At the AGM at Barnardsvlei arranged by Former Chairman Crips, Colin (Striker 69) asked for a more streamline communication medium.
He felt that mails & texts were difficult & that, as he was not a member of that Forum, it was of no use to him.
This lead to Michael offering to start our own Club Forum.

This Forum was only intended to be a Club communication tool for Club members.

However, requests from the many recently ousted former members of that Forum pressured us into opening it to all - under strict conditions.

Anyhoo, as soon as it was seen that this Forum was established I was set up there, Johan Slabbert spent weeks baiting me, finally I responded, using wording that should not result in any action, unsurprisingly I was banned for 2 weeks to 6 months - that was 2 years ago...

This Forum, as stated previously, is not in competition or opposition to any other Forum, many of our members, like you, post on both Forums.
So if it's perceived as a thorn in anyone's side, that is unfortunate, but not my problem...

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Can we get off the topic of the other “4x4” forum please. It’s anything but 4x4’ing over there.

I get my fix here or on the Cruiser Club.

If I wanted wheelbarrow fixing or baking advice, I would go onto that forum.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The Numbers as @ 8 July 2020:

Forum:
Total posts 21688
Total topics 896
Total members 344

Club:
120 Members
* Renewals have fallen during lockdown - I am attending to this.

Facebook Page:

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 pm
The Numbers as @ 8 July 2020:

Forum:
Total posts 21688

24 hours later

Total posts 21766

78 posts in the past 24 hours - that's the most posts since Karen saw Squirrel speak about the coming Lock Down & mistakenly though "We are Led!"...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

We broke 900 new Threads today...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Statistics
Total posts 22222
:lol:

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Statistics

Total posts 22827
Total topics 945
Total members 361

Club has 123 members
Our FB page has 4467 members

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Statistics

Total posts 23000
Total topics 959
Total members 366

Club has 124 members
Our FB page has 4488 members

Marginal growth in all areas over the past month!!!