Maxxis Tyres

Corona Covid-19 & Camping/Wheelin'

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

Corona Covid-19 & Camping/Wheelin'

Post by Mad Manny »

This is a hot topic, discussed with much panic & emotion.

The question is "Should I go camping or Wheelin' in view of the Covid-19 virus?"

My view is this:

*If you are virtually in self isolation, then going out is going to increase your risk.

* If you are going to one of these packed, crowded campsites (Good luck finding one though) then no.

* But if you are going to remote, thinly populated venue, then I can't see why not.

Some say I should not do any unnecessary travel, I personally live in Gauteng, I go to work, I have to go into hardware & food stores, I need to fill up with fuel etc. So for me, personally, going away to a quiet place for a few days will REDUCE my risk.

I understand that many of you will reply in disagreement, typing from deep in your underground, well-stocked Doomsday bunker, but to people who are not idiots, I would like to offer my personal view:
1. The economic effects of Covid-19 far outstrip the medical effects.
2. Everyone in Italy who died (4500 odd) would probably have died in the next few years anyway.
3. Do not fear the Virus, fear spreading it.
4. So far, in South Africa, the lives negatively impacted by Covid have mostly been affected by the economic fallout - not the virus itself

So to sum up:
* Calm Down
* Avoid Crowds
* Decide if your risk of exposure will increase or decrease should you go on a trip.
* Do not destroy the economy (what's left of it) just to avoid a few days of mild flu like symptoms.
* Stay informed.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

While self preservation and the health and well being of our own families is probably paramount in our minds we must also take time to think about how our behavior might negatively affect others.

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

Let me turn this thing around, well ok, my life is backwards. Where you are worried about going camping, I'm worried about leaving my camp, and going into town. I had to go do some shopping today for the next few weeks. It was horrible leaving the safety, seclusion and "quarantine" of our camp, and it's 30odd population, to venture into town. My wife actually noted that she could feel how things got more stressful over the 40 minute trip into town. We filled up the car, bashed through the Spar, and got the hell out of Dodge.

We have noted that the usual exodus of people into town over weekends, has declined. People rather get those that are going into town, get things for them. I have no problem with this, because it just means less people out there, coming into contact with the outside world, and coming back, to possibly infect us at home.
David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases

Shane

Post by Shane »

*Italy asking the world to listen and react before it's too late:*

A letter from Italy,

Peace for all,

We live in Italy - Milan.

I'm going to share with you and explain to you, "How is life here in Milan" during these difficult days and how do I think you should learn from the mistakes and their consequences that we live here.

We are currently in quarantine. We don't take to the streets, the police are in constant motion and arrest anyone outside his home.
Everything is closed! ... business, malls, stores, all streets without movement.

Feeling of the end of the world !!
Italy, the country of living life, is transformed from one moment to the next as if it were a dark country of war.

It is a fact that I never thought I would ever live!

People are confused, sad, anxious and helpless, and often do not understand how this reality was imposed on them and when this whole nightmare will end.

*The big mistake was that at the start of the first hit people continued to lead their lives as usual and took to the streets for work, entertainment and feeling like a vacation period, so gatherings with friends and banquets abound.*

Everyone was wrong and so were you!

I beg you, be careful, this is neither a laugh nor a joke.

Protect your loved ones, your parents, and your grandparents! The disease is dangerous for them.

About 200 people die here every day, not because medicine in Milan is not good (it's one of the best in the world), but rather because there are no places for everyone!

Doctors choose who will die! This is only because of the silliness of the citizens at the beginning, who decided to continue their lives as usual, regardless of the new situation!

Please, learn from the mistakes, we are a small country that could end up with a great tragedy.

*Listen well now...*
Don't go out into crowded places.

Try not to eat in public places.

Stay longer at home during this time!

Listen to the Ministry of Health guidelines (don't play it!).

Talk about a meter away from each person, do not come close, do not cuddle or accept.
Get a complementary and preventive treatment and learn from others' mistakes.
We recommend that you take vitamin C to boost your immune system.

Helping professionals prevent the spread of the epidemic ...

In Italy, the entire country is isolated, meaning 60 million people in quarantine !!

This would have been prevented if people had heard the instructions from the beginning.

Take care of yourself and the life of the ones you love

Share it with maximum people to help the world!!
Follow us at Times of Knowledge

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I'd be safer camping than in Gauteng.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Shane

Post by Shane »

Mad Manny wrote:I'd be safer camping than in Gauteng.
I agree that you are probably safer at a remote camp site than on Joburg.

The above (if true) just adds some insight from someone facing the worst of it.

We farm with animals. A lock down will sink us.

Many businesses can close their doors and all they lose is income.

If we do the same, we not only lose income but the 1000 odd pigs born/week at an eventual market value of R2.5k/pig....

Added to that, we have 25 000 pigs on site that need to be fed everyday.

If a lockdown is implemented I will be forced to open the gates and let them out to fend for themselves......

So for me, it's a toss up between getting this thing stopped and not over reacting.

To tie in with this topic, if you are going to a spot that is REALLY going to be quiet - by all means.(Assuming 200 other campers don't have the same idea)

But if you're going to Harties to camp with 200 other campers who suddenly have too much time on their hands - well that's just irresponsible.

cor123

Post by cor123 »

Shane wrote:
I agree that you are probably safer at a remote camp site than on Joburg.

The above (if true) just adds some insight from someone facing the worst of it.

We farm with animals. A lock down will sink us.

Many businesses can close their doors and all they lose is income.

If we do the same, we not only lose income but the 1000 odd pigs born/week at an eventual market value of R2.5k/pig....

Added to that, we have 25 000 pigs on site that need to be fed everyday.

If a lockdown is implemented I will be forced to open the gates and let them out to fend for themselves......

So for me, it's a toss up between getting this thing stopped and not over reacting.

To tie in with this topic, if you are going to a spot that is REALLY going to be quiet - by all means.(Assuming 200 other campers don't have the same idea)

But if you're going to Harties to camp with 200 other campers who suddenly have too much time on their hands - well that's just irresponsible.

Irresponsible because of the virus or the thieves ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cor123

Post by cor123 »

Manny, why are you so thick headed and stubborn . Where are we going ? ImageAs a matter of fact , I do have a little farm on the Vaal so if it comes to that , I will rather go and fish and relax there

Shane

Post by Shane »

cor123 wrote: Irresponsible because of the virus or the thieves ?

Both! ImageImageImage

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Shane, do you slaughter and butcher pigs also? If so perhaps we can buy direct?
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Excellent idea Wessel, I’m up for a road trip to the Freestate to buy some streaky bacon
Flex is overrated

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Me 2 Kurt
Let’s go

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Shane

Post by Shane »

LesseW wrote:Shane, do you slaughter and butcher pigs also? If so perhaps we can buy direct?
We slaughter but we do not butcher on large scale as we have a 50% shareholding in a company in Kimberly that cuts the carcasses into primal cuts.

Were it not for the current situation I would have happily made a plan for you.

Look up "The Flying Pig" on facebook. They sell cuts directly to the public and deliver to PTA/JHB area. Or at least they did....

Once the corona dust has settled we can chat.

Wave

Post by Wave »

Bugger wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:41 pm
Me 2 Kurt
Let’s go
As long as you go in your own cars... :lol:
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

It would be arrogant to think for a moment that SA and Nam will not follow the trend of other countries. I have spoken with a MD - who is quite high up in the ranks - and they are scared shitless of a situation where they will not be able to control the spread of the virus. Very few hospitals and Clinics in Nam are prepared or have the facilities to care for infected people.

In my opinion, a curfew or mandatory isolation is on the cards, it is just a matter of time.

With that being said, I am reluctant to travel at this stage, not for fear of being infected, but to incur unnecessary expenditure. Although not proclaimed by our government, the courts have virtually come to a standstill. I understand from my mates in SA that the CCMA has also stopped hearing labour matters. This is my bread and butter and if a payment holiday is declared, my firm would not be able to collect debt. My monthly drawings hangs in the balance.

So too my and my wife's second business. We started a creche in January and a 10 days ago the government ordered the mandatory closure of all schools and day cares.

Although my finances are in order to take a blow, we have taken steps to curb any unnecessary expenditure and that includes camping unfortunately.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer