Erin Bosch, Insurance

Percentage of income spent on vehicle repayments?

General / Off Topic chat

Percentage of income spent on vehicle repayments?

50% + of my salary goes to my vehicle repayment
No votes
40% of my salary goes to my vehicle repayment
No votes
30% of my salary goes to my vehicle repayment
No votes
20% of my salary goes to my vehicle repayment
5%
10% of my salary goes to my vehicle repayment
50%
0% I buy cash
45%

Total votes: 20

Shane

Post by Shane »

Hedgehog wrote:I think, that people judging here are daft. Each to his own, and everyone has different prioraties and requirements to their lifestyle... but I will add this:

If you buy a car @ R600k and pay R11.5k a month after finance charges, you can pay it off in 72 months or 6 years..

Have a look at the year on year increase of vehicle prices, and see if you could buy a new car (Of the same value/class of car in 6 years time) cash, if you saved R11.5k a month?

The Jeep Rubicon Unlimited for example, cost in 2013 brand spanking new R430k.
The 2019 model, costs R900k plus.

6 Years.. :)
Who said anything about buying new? It's not the only option.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Shane wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 pm
Hedgehog wrote:I think, that people judging here are daft. Each to his own, and everyone has different prioraties and requirements to their lifestyle... but I will add this:

If you buy a car @ R600k and pay R11.5k a month after finance charges, you can pay it off in 72 months or 6 years..

Have a look at the year on year increase of vehicle prices, and see if you could buy a new car (Of the same value/class of car in 6 years time) cash, if you saved R11.5k a month?

The Jeep Rubicon Unlimited for example, cost in 2013 brand spanking new R430k.
The 2019 model, costs R900k plus.

6 Years.. :)
Who said anything about buying new? It's not the only option.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
No it's not the only option, but that was the one I was talking about.....

But taking your point, you could save up to buy a secondhand car cash, of the same value(Type)... and it would cost less, lets say if its a Toyota, it would probably still retain 70% of its original value (probably more on resale) after the 36.5 months it would take you to save up for it, so lets say R600 @ 70% is R420k. (If you take my figure of R11.5k)

But...someone has had it for 3 years.... :)
I do about 40 000 km a year. So it will have 120 000km on.. And if it is your only vehicle and you do maybe 30 000 km a year (average figures if it your daily) then you have 4 years then its at 240 000 km..
And if you save less than R11.5k a month it would take you longer before you could buy it..

Don''t forget that the guy buying new... will still be getting money for the car when selling it @ 120 000km...

Then taking things into consideration like motor/service plans and maintenance costs v/s out of service plans and out of warranties costs.... You would probably end up with the same financial burden as the guy buying new....
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Shane

Post by Shane »

Certainly some valid points!

Personally I cannot see myself forking out 700k for a new vehicle... whether financed or cash.

My wife bought a new Fortuner 3 years ago. I suggested that she drive it till the wheels come off, all the while putting away the same amount as what an installment would have been. 10% escalation each year.

That way, when she REALLY needs to replace her vehicle she would either pay cash, or have a significant deposit.

The aim really being to minimise financed capital thus minimising interest paid.

She too does a lot of mileage and the "old" vehicle would then be retained as a runaround in her business.