4x4 Action Group

Logic - Reporting of a stolen vehicle

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

You'd thing a Professional Claimant would be aware of the 6 hour rule...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I had a look...

He said "
My heavily pregnant (41 weeks) fiance against medical advice drive through, with our infant son to come and pick me up. We live in Harties and my Hilux was stolen in Fourways... "
Interesting, most pregnancies last 40 weeks.
At 41 weeks she'd be overdue.
Also interesting is he left her alone in Harties (it appears) while he was dining in Fourways! :shock:
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Yes, he appears to be properly dodgy
Flex is overrated

Erin

Post by Erin »

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I know that Cartrack’s R150k recovery warranty is subject to them being notified of a vehicle’s theft within 6 hours.

As far as I am aware, the recovery warranty is between Cartrack and Tuffstuff or their underwriters where they require that a Cartrack system is required. If I remember correctly though, Tuffstuff no longer insist on Cartrack only, but accept other systems too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

I have read the thread and at the second Page I remembered why I left that forum.

Social media cuts both ways - deep too.

But I agree, 6 hours should not be an issue - its pretty straight forward if you think about it.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:32 pm
You'd thing a Professional Claimant would be aware of the 6 hour rule...
You would be amazed of how many people disregard or fail to read a contract (or amendments thereto). And I am not talking about uninformed people, architects, engineers, doctors and even lawyers - which is pretty negligible if you ask my opinion.

Most insurers have a clause in their agreements which allows them to vary terms and conditions unilaterally. Its sound in law. However, it still needs to be a reasonable amendment which should not place arbitrary requirements on an insured. Its a question of potential prejudice.

If my insurer requires me to report my stolen vehicle within 48 hours, and thereafter amend the t&c to 6 hours, I think I would have a pretty good case to make out with the ombudsman when the claim is rejected. Again, its a question of prejudice. What would the prejudice on the insurer's part be if I, circumstances permit, only report it to the police within 6h30min from it coming to my knowledge? Or seven hours for that matter?

Then again, the same would apply to the insurer. What would his prejudice be? He also has to protect himself against professional claimants. Very few people understand the "sommeskadeleer" principle.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer