Erin Bosch, Insurance

the 'go bag'

General / Off Topic chat
Apocalypse

the 'go bag'

Post by Apocalypse »

there doesn't seem to be a specific section for this kind of story.

so, we'll put it in the 4x4 section as it's quite a serious subject for anyone who ventures into the great unknown on any kind of regular basis.

Now I hear the stories from the guys who say, oh Alex, why do you have mud tyres, you do most of your mileage on road and blah de blah.

and yes, sure, I need mud tyres for maybe 3% of my milage and ACTUALLY need them (where an A/T would not do the job) for well less than 1% of the time.

In fact, truth be known, in the last few hundred thousand km of driving , mud tyres have only been actually needed for a few hundred metres.

but lets be clear here. a set of muds with less than 10mm of tread is slicks. if you want to be a good boy scout... dump your muds when they are worn out - thats the point when you see them on facebook groups going for half the new price .

and - the same story with the winch. Neil is fond of pointing out that the best winch in town is your mate's winch. and he's right. if you are going to be the guy with the winch, make sure you aren't a poseur. it had better be in good working order on the day you actually need the 20kg of dead weight you've been hauling around or you'll look like a right Richard.

My winch has been on the front of 2 jeeps and is either used or tested, rerolled and greased every couple of months. because it's a tool and it had better be working when you need it. plenty of glamour 4x4s at the mall with the neatly rolled cable.... If you are going to rely on your mate's winch make sure your mates' winch cable is a bit frayed and looks like it will take a finger off if you don't respect it. that means it's works.

and thus we come to the bog roll in the glove box.

now, like mud tyres and the winch, there are very very few days in your life where, really and truly, having a roll of toilet paper to hand is going to be a serious issue in your life.

It's not something people really worry about, but actually, having a roll of bog paper in the glove box would have been a commandment if Moses had access to a 4x4 a few thousand years ago.

'thou shalt not leave home without kakpapier'

most of the time it's just a little luxury. you stop in some desolate town and the local garage has an award for 'the worst toilet in the platteland' for 5 years running.

you know you need R2 for the privilege and you know it's that waxy , ring scratching single ply in there, and the roll of twin ply with a picture of a puppy on it in the glove box is heaven sent.

and SWAMBO always appreciates it when there is a roll of luxury under such circumstances.

so, it's important that there is ALWAYS a roll in the glovebox.

ALWAYS. be a good boy scout and make sure there is ALWAYS one.

for that one day, you had a dodgy polony roll on the way to wherever and 20km out of town, you start gritting your teeth because 'the pressure is on' and something isn't lekker down below.

you hit the brakes and reach for the glove box. stop the 4x4 and leap from the door as you tear your rods off, squat by the front wheel and some kind of stinking lava leaves your most fundamental orifice a raw and bleeding mess, and the locals hoot and cheer as they pass you.

as you squat there, sweating at the pain, you just thank whatever deity suits you that you are a good boy scout and that roll of twin ply is like silk on your raw , burning schpincter.

just for that once in a lifetime... it's worth making sure, every morning of your life, that no scum bag has nicked the sacred roll from your glovebox.

but...

sometimes we find ourselves far from the fully equipped zombie (and bad curry) apocalypse equipped vehicle.

sometimes we don't have a vehicle equipped with a winch, full recovery kit, full tool kit, small gas burner with a bialletti, full medical kit and a bog roll in the glovebox a few strides away.

sometimes.....

sometimes....

we have to leave it at the airport.

😳

the airlines don't allow 4 different leathermen onto a plane. or a winch. or recovery kit. not even a spade.

you are allowed a couple of wholly inadequate bags.

so, what's in that 'go bag' ?

In my case, it's a pair of glasses (in case my contacts come out) and a spare pair of lenses.

and a laptop , camera and a bunch of cables. (have you ever added up the value of that bag you carry around with you? :eek:)

a few other things.

but.

most importantly.

the packet of tissues and the imodium. you can't carry a whole bog roll and a whole medical kit with you onto a plane. duct tape and even a little tiny knife arouse all kinds of suspicions.

but you can take with you.... one of those little packets of tissues and a blister pack of imodium and a few small items. in case of emergency.

so, I've always had this with me, and sometimes I feel kind of silly because there seems to be a lot of stuff in my bag that no one else considers essential.

However.

Yesterday I had to fly to Swakopmund for a directors recce.

so, we land in Swakop, meet the director and entourage and they deicde they are hungry.

I mean.

WTF we are in Swakopmund and they decide we'll start the afternoon with a sandwich at the airport Mugg and Been - in a land where Oryx roams freely upon the plates of the local restaurants? FFS

so, okay. bad sandwich, bad coffee, lets go look at the dunes.

3 hours later, somewhere near Goanicontas....

GRROINKKK...

mild stomach cramp...

oh come on. really? why did I order the ham.... I bet it's flipping enterprise...

I can do this.

GGGGRRROOOIINNKKKK!!!!

I start to sweat, and jam the aircon on and the French guy in the back seat complains it's too cold.

Jirre.

we stop in the middle of nowhere and they start discussing light.

I hopefully ask the guide (knowing full well the answer) if there is a flipping kakhuis within a decent radius.

it's going to be a boskak.

except that in this case there is no bos, only sand.

so I open the glove box and it's empty. WHAT KIND OF LOCATION MANAGER VENTURES FORTH WITHOUT A BOG ROLL IN THE GLOVEBOX?!?!?!?!

at least in the bos you can wipe your bottom with a carefully selected leaf, but really, a handful of sand?!!?!

so anyway, I grab my bag and root out the packet of 3 ply, super soft, extra gentle nasally sensitive tissues and take a fast trot over a dune.

I barely managed to drop my pants before molten lava poured from my arse .

Sorry Namibian guys. I didn't have time to scratch a hole. be careful on the slip faces for the next few days. it was mostly liquid so it should mostly soak in.

the only way the packet of tissues could have been more heaven sent was if they had been chilled slightly.

Please heed my first words of advice on this new forum guys, BE PREPARED. you may not always be able to have a pocket knife with you, but you can always have some soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent tissue within easy reach.
Last edited by Apocalypse on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

OMG that was funny!

But it is good advice, as the Boy Scouts say "Be prepared"...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Quack

Post by Quack »

The bog roll in the cubbyhole never lasts!

Always some ill prepared jit that needs it😀

So leave my winch and my M/T’s alone! I’m happy😜
What a life?!?😜

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

:D Nice post Apoc !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

There is no better feeling in the world than letting it all out.... especially if it is hot molten lava from your anus πŸ˜‚
Flex is overrated

Gualter

Post by Gualter »

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Fantastic! And o so true.........
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I found a contender once for worse toilet of the year... The Shell garage in Amsterdam, Mpumulanga. Only public one in town. I never knew I could aim a stream of "lava" that well while standing over the bowl, knees slightly bent, holding the piece of wood that was the door in place with one hand while keeping my pants from dropping into the suspicious grey liquid on the floor with the other hand and trying not to touch anything else in the little cubicle but luckily they had a dry toilet roll in there...
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I wonder how many members went & placed a roll of TP in their 4x4's in the last 30 minutes! :D

Quack

Post by Quack »

You only need half a roll, a whole roll does not fit so lekker!
Last edited by Quack on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What a life?!?😜

Michael

Post by Michael »

Mad Manny wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 pm
I wonder how many members went & placed a roll of TP in their 4x4's in the last 30 minutes! :D
Me
Sadly don't own an offroader. It's too flat living on a small island.

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

Just to be safe, there are always TWO separate AND in separate bags, dual ply bog rolls in my vehicle.
If one drops in the lava flow by accident, there should be a backup... 😎
And two packets of those fluffy tissues in my go bag πŸ˜‚
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Quack

Post by Quack »

Flipside wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:59 pm
Just to be safe, there are always TWO separate AND in separate bags, dual ply bog rolls in my vehicle.
If one drops in the lava flow by accident, there should be a backup... 😎
And two packets of those fluffy tissues in my go bag πŸ˜‚
That’s a bit OCD! Any bad experiences that caused this behaviour?😜
What a life?!?😜

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Good post. Learnt this lesson a few years ago !! Every vechile I have has a roll or two , just incase.
Even in my work bag I keep a half roll , just pushed flat !!

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Johannes wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:22 pm
Good post. Learnt this lesson a few years ago !! Every vechile I have has a roll or two , just incase.
Even in my work bag I keep a half roll , just pushed flat !!
*Vehicle