Healthy Sleep

Tyre chatter

General / Off Topic chat
Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

jakeslouw wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:50 pm
Hmmmm.......how many kilos do you do a year on the tyres and what is your OFF ROAD percentage? (Graded dirt roads do not count)
Hmmmm
On my tourer, I would have to include getting out of town and the long road before reaching the first dirt road, in Bots, NC, Lesotho, Moz, etc. Take your pick. The tourer is only driven minimally in town to keep mechanically in order. That all adds up.
It does not go to malls. It would take the parking area arches with it, if I did that.
On my trail toy, again, it requires tarmac to get to the trails and back. It is not driven for any other purpose.

But mileage mix is irrelevant. The point is that neither serves a purpose other than touring or trail driving, and getting to the destination where it is needed. Swopping tires would be nonsensical.
jakeslouw wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:50 pm
4 wheels stacked in a corner. A trolley jack, a wheel spanner, 30 minutes, and you've swopped a set? Why the HELL use a tyre shop to swop a wheel?
No trolly jack.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"

Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

Actually, thinking about it, getting trolly jack may not be such a bad idea.
But doing all four plus spare on my own would still be quite a workout....

Then there is also tire age. If you spread the wear across more tires it will take longer to finish the thread.
Ideally, tires should not age more than 7 years, if you still want to use it at highway speeds.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Your usage is different to the average person who remains a mall crawler.

I've seen literally DOZENS of pimped 4x4s in the last 2 months with the most expensive accessories and tyres and which will NEVER see a trail.

Mostly wannabes that live in a 2-up 2-down town house but drive a LC79 V8 with a John Deere sticker.

A real "boer in beton".

grips

Post by grips »

Trolly Fan wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:27 am
grips wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:27 am
You say Maxxis :o :o

Not saying it is a bad product but we have lost three 35`s and two 33`s due to side wall cuts. Pricy experience :roll:
Which tyres do you use, and why?
We can all learn
According to Manny I am a BFG fanatic. :lol: Well I have had around 7 sets of BFG on my 4x4`s. Only one puncture and one sidewall cut between all of them.
When building the Yank V8 Ford Ranger I got a very good deal on the 35 inch Maxxis and I liked the looks. Few trips later I loved them as they performed excellent on sand and rock crawling. Were the logic way to go on the G60 Patrol where we fitted 33 inch Maxxis Bighorns.

Then I lost the first tyre at Whoopa when a stick cut the sidewall charging a dune with the v8 Ranger. Thought it was plain bad luck. Then lost one at Gariep driving over an Iron spike. This one I think would have taken out any other tyre brand to be fair. We lost one on the Little Patrol on a dirt road way back from Whoopa. The other two one on the Patrol and one on the V8 Ranger were lost on dirt roads. Sidewall cuts by loose rocks.
So yes I sort of lost faith in Maxxis. Reading some trip reports where RAZR`s also were lost due to sidewall cuts I will skip them for now.

Three years ago I needed to replace the BF`s on my 79 Cruiser after 80k km. Were not happy with the quote I got for the BF`s. Well over 4k per tyre.
Went on a tyre search spree. Checked out RAZR`s, Renegades, Kevlars, Grabbers and many others. All of them three ply side walls.
I physically test the side walls by pressing them in and bending. All I can say is that all three ply side walls are not equal.
The 79 being a fully kitted 4x4 always loaded I did not feel comfortable after checking out all the other tyres. Went back and fitted the BF`s.

When I decided to go 315`s on the 76 the only 3 ply tires in stock were Maxtrek muds. Have done around 40k km on them very happy. Nice in sand and good on everything else. No punctures to date. Only down side is I cannot see them doing more than 60k km.

In person I think BFG is ridiculously priced at this stage. I am in the market to find a better priced equivalent for BF`s.

I am not impressed with Kevlars and Grabbers. Have them on my business bakkies. Worst tyres I have ever owned.

We have replaced the BG`s on my son`s 2.8 GD6 Hilux with Falken AT. Might be a very good contender for BF`s. They might be able to do 80k km.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

Grips

How do you find grip with BFGs, especially on tarmac?
I bought a second hand Patrol GRX earlier this year that had BFGs on.
After one hard break in traffic, the car was very quickly into ABS mode. They also spun on hard acceleration.
I decided I cannot make my wife drive them in town. So I sold them. They were 5 years old.

Anthony on this forum had them on his Patrol some years back and kept slipping back down on Koos se Kip.
But others can perhaps confirm who also drove Koos with BFGs.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Trolly Fan wrote:Grips

After one hard break in traffic, the car was very quickly into ABS mode. They also spun on hard acceleration.
I decided I cannot make my wife drive them in town. So I sold them. They were 5 years old.

Anthony on this forum had them on his Patrol some years back and kept slipping back down on Koos se Kip.
I believe this is an issue with BFGs and the Kevlar side walled Wranglers. Ie: stiffer sides, less flotation. But no idea.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

grips

Post by grips »

Trolly Fan wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:13 pm
Grips

To be honest I cannot remember once that I can say I felt unsafe with BF`s on tarmac. Think this comes down to many things. The difference in set up by manufactures of ABS modulation under braking conditions. The conditions at a specific moment. Keep in mind that tarmac is super slippery during the first seasonable rain. Would another tyre perform better at that very same moment ?

We have done Berakah some time back. There were a very slippery solid rock stretch with water running over it. My son with his GD6 Hilux shot with Coopers slide back under power resulting in some damage too the Hilux. Went up there with the 76 V8 on BF`s with no sweat. Road to Hell also comes to mind with supper slippery loose rocks. Done that with ease.

But we are going off topic. BF`s are like Cruisers people love or hate them. :lol:

I am going to follow this thread to see how the Maxxis are doing.

I know that Rechart will give them the optimum test. Hope he gets many happy miles.

grips

Post by grips »

iandvl wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:24 pm
Trolly Fan wrote:Grips

I believe this is an issue with BFGs and the Kevlar side walled Wranglers. Ie: stiffer sides, less flotation. But no idea.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Ian really no problem in deflating with BF`s they give a better print at 0.6 than some other tyers I have seen.

This were on a day Namib trip in May last year.

Think we should not turn this into a BFG thread.

Would be interesting to see what milage on do get from a set of RAZR`s. In the end a thread like this with good feedback might convince many of us that RAZR are the best value for money out there.

Unfortunately tests like tis take time and when it comes to tyres I am only impressed with performance past 60k km.
Attachments
20230501_094158.jpg

Trolly Fan

Post by Trolly Fan »

grips wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:43 am
Ian really no problem in deflating with BF`s they give a better print at 0.6 than some other tyers I have seen.

This were on a day Namib trip in May last year.

Think we should not turn this into a BFG thread.

Would be interesting to see what milage on do get from a set of RAZR`s. In the end a thread like this with good feedback might convince many of us that RAZR are the best value for money out there.

Unfortunately tests like tis take time and when it comes to tyres I am only impressed with performance past 60k km.
Tijmen (not on this forum) got 60k on his first set of Maxxi RAZRs before replacing them.
But the miles depend on the surface.

BFs are known to give you mileage.
I always thought it was down to how hard the compound is.
Softer compound gives more grip but less mileage, and vice versa.
2005 TD42 "Masewa"
1996 TB48 "Skilpad"
1993 TB42 "Shortie"
1985 SD33 "Toro"

grips

Post by grips »

If I were to get 60k km om the 315 x16 Maxtrek Mud Trac's they would be a very attractive alternative for RAZR at better price.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk