The House Doctor

2022 Namaqua Sea and Strand Trip

General / Off Topic chat
Martin de Jager

2022 Namaqua Sea and Strand Trip

Post by Martin de Jager »

To begin, this trip was planned seeing a special site or area on Youtube, Skuinsklip campsite in the Namaqua Nature Reserve, entering from the the Groenrivier gate.
From the onset it was planned to run concurrently with our annual Sea/Strand Pavilion timeshare week. By now we are use to long trips, but this going to be the longest.
We started chatting to our friends Wayne and Debbie, they were eager to join us for the first stint.
We left on the 18th November @ 04h00, heading of on the N14 to the Northern Cape, the roads were in fair condition, we pushed till Kakamas, we stayed over at the Kakamas Hotel.
Towing the Invader it was clear from the onset, that my load was heavy, we had to be self efficient for six nights. Wood, water, electricity, not easy. My additional load included four jerrycans, full of diesel. Escom using all the diesel, we did not know what to be expected, turned out to be a mistake.

Day 2: Leaving Kakamas you dont realise you are climbing all the way to Springbok, I used 53 liters towing, the Cruizer used 76litres, on just over 353km's. We entered Garies around 14h00, drove on gravel Groenrivier, from here on the sports started, having got stuck on our Rightersveld trip, I deflated immediately , but I am afraid not enough, the load was heavy, the Invader now also on same 17" rims, I went down to 1.2 =1.4 bar. This sand is extremely soft and we got tested, even the cruizer got stuck. Eventually Wayne came in from the front and we winched until I was out. From here on we deflated more, and did not get stuck again.
We set camp, the campsite only allows for two family's, you go to sleep with the sea in your ears and wake up with the sea in your ears. Lesson door always away from the sea, we are old campers so that was no issue.
Our Invader Duo did not disappoint, set-up was quick and efficient,we even had a proper Oztrail shower, Esther enjoyed this the most.
At night the temperature drops, however just a windbraeker saves the day. You need a lot of wood to keep warm! We used the initial proper hard wood the first night. you can buy wood , Camelthorn but at R50.00 a bag.
On two dyas we had perfect weather, but it got cool at night. then we had two cloud free nights, no moon to be seen all week.
We rested day three, I caught a bugg from home, the intense recovery was not good for the lungs. Day4 we drove to Hondeklip Bay, its a small ex-fishing village, Covid killed it, to entire fish factory torn down, and bare walls to be seen, This is a hard world.
Day5 Esther and I toured the rest of the reserve and loved the nature,
Day6 this was again a rest day just to observe the beauty.

We continued our tour to the Strand, weekend weather was typical, but from Monday onwards we had the most awesome weather.
We Departed from Strand on Friday and arrived home today.
The Trip report, now I am really broke, Fuel bill around R17,700.00 my trip distance was 4475km.s , estimated 7.0 km/lit, constant towing, this in a heavy but relentless Fortuner, 2006 model, now 316,000km's on the clock, the Fortuner never disappointed, no issues at all.
Attachments
PA5_1402.JPG
PA5_1401.JPG
PA5_1549.JPG
PA5_1540.JPG
PA5_1539.JPG
PA5_1538.JPG
PA5_1536.JPG
PA5_1535.JPG
PA5_1534.JPG
PA5_1572.JPG
PA5_1968.JPG
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Nice Martin. Seems like a nice trip you had. Fuel costs are really a big consideration these days.

Renier_c

Post by Renier_c »

Klink of dit lekker was!!!

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Nice report Martin.

You must have been loaded very heavy, on the Bots trip, with 3 Jerry cans, towing the Conqueror Conquest & carrying water I got nearly 8km/L.

Glad you enjoyed your break...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Thanks Martin. One of my bucket list, but from the southern side and hug the coast as far as possible.

Emile and I were planning this, but he got a chance with a tour operator, currently at Groen Rivier.

So anyone else planning a trip please count me in!

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

This is a must do trip, out in the wild seeing the occasional visitor now and then. But you need to be able to survive on minimum.
As Andreas states, diesel was the most costly, especially in the times we live in. Be prepared to get stuck, the entry from Groenrivier is really thick sand, momentum is king, I made the mistake to gear down from third to second, mistake, it meant immediate halt, going nowhere further.
Manny the winds on the coast and open plains are far worse that what we get used to, drag coefficient on my Tuna very poor. But still the car performed as expected, without fault.
My next trip would include a second battery in the Invader, overcast days and constant draw from the battery meant we had to regulate and preserve, but all of this worth it if you consider our view and quietness. Here you charge your batteries. Be prepared for sand and wind, its part of the adventure.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

You need to convert your invader to LiFePo4 and get two Lifepo4 100watt batteries.
Then you can go days without charging...

But that's a R20k conversion...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

grips

Post by grips »

Martin Lekker

I have camped along the West coast on more occasions than I can remember. From September to mid December is the windy season. Best time of the year is June/July.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D