Maxxis Tyres

4x4 dying?

General / Off Topic chat
Bogaards

4x4 dying?

Post by Bogaards »

If I compare today to say 3-5 years ago, can we ask the question if 4x4 is dying as a "sport"?

In this case I am specifically referring to 4x4 outings. Overlanding not so much, but if you look at the talks around 4x4 trails or day outings there seems to be much less in comparison to the past?

Still remember the days when we had good old 4x4 fights and that would usually end up as a 4x4 day.

I can even see it in the videos I put out, the trail videos get less views in comparison to other videos.

Why would this be?

Has the interest in 4x4 outings dropped? Is it because cars have become to modern and expensive?

The problem I have with people not doing 4x4 days anymore is that they are still interested in overlanding, these people then go out and have not practiced on a trail what to do in certain situations. Or am I wrong?

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Oh boy. Here we go. Just going to make the popcorn. I’ll be back.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I have placed this on various forums. Must say the feedback is interesting. From high fuel cost to People not seeing the point in 4x4 trails or losing interest...

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Just maybe the combination of a recession, increasing inflation and the rising cost of fuel has an impact? Also, the Gen Z wokens don't buy 4x4s.........
Gas-guzzlers are frowned upon.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

jakeslouw wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 am
Just maybe the combination of a recession, increasing inflation and the rising cost of fuel has an impact? Also, the Gen Z wokens don't buy 4x4s.........
Gas-guzzlers are frowned upon.
So would this mean that overlanding is becoming something for the elite only?

In the past you would have more people with older build up vehicles going on trips?

These days you see more expensive vehicles kitted with everything you know of going out on trips. They are becoming small power plants with the systems they have in. Even with ovens and coffee machines.

grips

Post by grips »

Bogaards wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:59 am

These days you see more expensive vehicles kitted with everything you know of going out on trips. They are becoming small power plants with the systems they have in. Even with ovens and coffee machines.
Don`t think this is the general rule. Have seen an old FJ45 Troopy, Series 1 and 2 Landies, older Defenders and several other vehicles on recent trips as far off as Kalagadi, Riemvasmaak and Mier.

Just think many have move on and share their outings with dedicated groups and club type forums. Also certain forum`s have moved away from their 4x4 roots.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

grips wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:28 am
...Also certain forum`s have moved away from their 4x4 roots.
This. All those posts about baking, wheelbarrow repair and male perfume... :lol: :lol:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

We used to 4x4 two/three times a month. Then the kids came along.

I wasn’t in the mood for crying/bitching and moaning for hours at end whilst I try and avoid getting stuck or breaking something.

So we do the overlanding thing and camping as much, or try to at least to get out as much as we used to 4x4
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Bogaards wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:59 am
So would this mean that overlanding is becoming something for the elite only?

In the past you would have more people with older build up vehicles going on trips?

Certainly seems that way. Before we opened the brewpub, we would do one excursion a month and try and at least fit in some solid dirt road sightseeing. Now, the petrol bill to the nearest pub makes our wallets bleed.
The last time the poor Wrangler was in 4H was so that I could get a trailer up a wet driveway at Black Horse brewery.

The other elephant in the room is the escalating incidents of crime across the country.
Almost every day we see reports of campers and travellers being robbed and attacked. You daren't travel after dark on most roads these days.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Just some of my thoughts about this.

I do trails, overlanding and camping. My vehicle was purchased to get me out there - the more out of the way, the happier I am. I drive trails, but my big love is overlanding / touring. I have a massive love affair with the desert areas - both here and in Namibia. Those areas will see me visit them again, and again, and again.

That said, I believe it is imperative to know your vehicle when heading out into the great wide yonder. This is where trails come in and I feel this holds especially true for people who are new to these sort of activities. I did a chunk of trails with NORC, Patrol forum, like-minded friends and other groups. I think I also did one trip to Thaba Nkwe with 4x4AG actually, many years ago. Although I'd like to think I'm relatively experienced in terms of things, one learns something new on every trip and trail. The experience I have know I owe entirely to learning from the collective experience of others on outings. This includes matters ranging from driving techniques, spotting, recovery, bush repairsm, etc. In short, I've learnt a hell of a lot in terms of driving trails and for me they are super important as they teach you to understand your vehicle.

Sadly, I don't get out as much as I would like to. Life is incredibly busy at the moment, and work comes first. Nevertheless, I try and fit the odd trail in when I can and my next big overlanding trip is on the calendar and is currently in the planning phase. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Great Topic!

I have thoughts on this as I've seen the decline clearly.

I will post my thesis on this later...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

So, a few people have commented and have had very valuable input.

The 4x4 trail driving brigade may be getting smaller. I don’t know because I’m done with trails. If so, the reasons are many and not limited to the following

Lack of time or needing time for other things.
Lack of money or needing money for other things.
Not wanting to damage vehicles.
Boredom. Many of the Gauteng trails are very similar.
Not wanting to be associated with some of the unsavoury characters one often finds on trails.
And don’t even get me started on “the 4x4 fights” with okes trying to prove that their testicles are bigger than the next okes. Get a life.

Personally I find trails excruciatingly boring. I find absolutely no joy In queuing up at every obstacle waiting for the vehicle in front to go through. I’d rather have root canal treatment. I hate trails so much that I have vowed never to do one again. However, whatever floats your boat.

I have always preferred overlanding. Yes, I have done trails but mainly to learn a few things or to test equipment. If you have a big overlanding trip coming up the last thing you want to do is go on a trail and sustain vehicle or tyre damage. This can happen no matter how cautious you are. It’s happened to all of us. Apart from the money to get things right it takes a lot of time to get repairs done. Chosen workshops are not just waiting for you to pitch with your trail damaged vehicle. Then you run the risk of repairs not being done right the first time and having to go back for this to be corrected. So more time. In the meantime your departure date creeps nearer and the stress increases. In this day and age parts or your particular brand/tyre size may not be readily available, so you may have extra waiting time.

I believe an overlanding vehicle should be a dedicated vehicle for that purpose. That is just me though. I probably do a few trips a year. I like to have my vehicle ready to go for when a trip crops up at short notice. I would hate to say I can’t go because my vehicle is not ready.

As far as honing skills on a trail, I would like to add something a bit controversial. Once you have learned the basics, I reckon you can learn a lot more about your vehicle and 4x4 driving on a two week overlanding trip than on a Saturday morning trail. On an overlanding trip you can come across all sorts of terrain everyday. Mud, sand, water, rocks, uphills, descents, recovery, bush mechanics the works. The most important thing that you will learn when overlanding is to avoid obstacles, if possible.

That’s my 2c.

Now I got to prepare for my December trip while planning my April trip and be ready in case someone invites me on a trip in between.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

I'm not a fan of the obstacle course trails for many of the reasons Andreas has mentioned. Added to those I can't afford to break the Disco on obstacles it isn't setup to tackle because then it will stand until I win the lottery to pay for it. After being retrenched there isn't any money for anything other than the essentials monthly expenses.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

AndreasR wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Now I got to prepare for my December trip while planning my April trip and be ready in case someone invites me on a trip in between.
I am probably one of those unsavory characters you might meet if you do a trail.(That you obviously don't)
But... I also do trips, often and a lot, but will now know not to invite you.. :lol:
SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Much obliged.