Maxxis Tyres

4x4 dying?

General / Off Topic chat
iandvl

Post by iandvl »

BushWacker wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:12 pm
… and here we all are critical of the other forum …
Chas - I'm seriously just pulling your leg. We'll presumably have a (few) beer(s) on the weekend. You will see. I think you'll know when I'm being serious. For the rest of the time I'm actually probably just talking nonsense... :lol: :lol:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=116&start=45

If you think 4x4’ing or overlanding is dead. The above thread shows that people are still going out there, deflating tires and getting dust on their vehicles. And they’ve been doing it for a long time.
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Yes Mike, the Great & Glorious Manny has come up with numerous programs to incentivise both Club members and the wider 4x4 Fraternity to get out there and do it.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I still need to post my thoughts on this topic, I'm just struggling to find enough time...

Redman

Post by Redman »

I've started typing a reply quite a few times now, but every time I struggle to convey it in words (must be due to the fact that I'm one of 44 Dutchies left trying to translate it into English)

In short. Don't think it is dying. Looking at the massive support industry that seems to be going from strength to strength. Definitely not the fast growing industry/hobby it used to be.

But also depends on where you try and gauge this? I find that I'm wheeling more and more as the years go by, but I post and share about it less and less on social media and 4x4 Forums. Just got tired of shitty comments and know it all's

Fuel price does play a role. But in most cases I think this will mean less and better selected outings.

But, I do also think that if you use your 4x4 as a daily as well (like a lot of us do), some of the expenses to own that vehicle becomes a lot, and there are a lot of cases where the daily gets downgraded due to necessity.

Redman

Post by Redman »

That being said, I do think that we also sometimes overthink what we need to participate in 4x4'in and overlanding.

Did my first Botswana trip in 2006 in a 1988 Toyota Corolla 1.6GL. (Ghanzi/Maun). The only thing it missed was an aircon, but apart from that it was perfect. Should have fitted a roofrack and kept it as my dedicated over lander :mrgreen: . Did this trip a few times after that in my trusty Isuzu 280DT 4x4 SC and in a mates 1990-something 110 Defender. The only difference was we "looked" way cooler in the Defender than the Corolla, but the Corolla was just as effective as the Defender in getting us there and back (and a whole lot cheaper to run)
Toyota-Corolla-VI-Sedan-2.jpg
We were a group of friends that used to go do trips and tracks in and around Gauteng. Started out fun, but there where always an acquaintance that joined that would rather turn it into a brand bashing exercise. Others "upgraded" their vehicles and no longer had the stomach to do tracks with the expensive wheels. Just got to the point where we were 2 or 3 families at the most. Eventually ended up doing our own thing over the weekends.

And I can sometimes pick this up in posts when people go wheeling. "How I look doing it" is almost more important than "What I am doing"

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:44 am
I still need to post my thoughts on this topic, I'm just struggling to find enough time...
If you take the time you spend on Facebook and the other Non 4x4 forum, you roughly have 23hrs left of the day
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Mad Manny wrote:
I would like to submit you're struggling to muster the brain cells?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Mike Nel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 pm
If you take the time you spend on Facebook and the other Non 4x4 forum, you roughly have 23hrs left of the day
I don't often tell people to "Walk Sew" but when I do - it's in Afrikaans...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

jakeslouw wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:18 pm
I would like to submit...
Submission acknowledged...

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Mike Nel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:06 pm
Mad Manny wrote:
Its going to be a longstorie . Be carefull what you wish for.

Hyades

Post by Hyades »

I used to trail quite a bit back in the day (2008-2013).

Unfortunately (fortunately actually), now working all over the dodgy parts of West/North Africa. I get my 4x4ing in, believe you me. The little free time I get back home I just want to chill and be with the family.

But as someone has said earlier, the younger guys these days aren't into 4x4, heavy, fuel guzzling vehicles as much as the average dude was 10/15/20 years ago.

As for the guys that have 4x4s but don't do trails. Well, I've given my explanation. But I think for most people in SA at the moment, its a money thing. I was shocked the other day when I was back in SA, and to fill the Triton (mine doesn't have SS Ian :mrgreen: ) cost me 17 buffaloes.

One day when I'm working back in SA, I'll join in outings again. Hope that day comes soon.

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

We work our asses off, at least some of us do, lol. My setup allows me all, the Jimny is now set to play, yet I use it daily.
My Fortuner is now used as a my weekend camper, overlander, combined with the Invader it's a perfect combo,
We have camped and used it more than 7 times in its first year, 7000 km's plus.
We enjoy photography, viewing wild life and seeing our country away from the rat race and crowds.
I have recently joined some of the day competition events, what fun, less rules , just to let the steam off.
I will lead a balance life as long as my health allows me.
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

I had a lot of responses on this question on various platforms. I have tried to summarize it and give my opinion on this in a video I have just posted:

https://youtu.be/s0e4VGaalXg

It is a bit of talking, but it was something I wanted to share. Apologies for the audio quality, the wind did not play along.