There are 4 ammo boxes on 2 pull out sliders
What to pack there
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

As Kurt Gerber once said "Ammo boxes are great for storage, but terrible for daily access"
Best thing I ever did was to replace the Ammo boxes with drawers.
One Drawer has the kettle, Bodem (only the lower classes drink instant) the casserole dish and tongs.
One drawer has cups and glasses, one drawer is for dry food and one is for plates, cutting boards and the like...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

My trailer has one slide that can take 4 ammo crates. I only use 2 ammo crates - one has kitchen stuff (pots, pans, pans plates etc.) the other is for food stuffs that don't go in the fridge/freezer. The rest of the space is used for chairs, clothes bags, annex for the trailer, gazebo.

Stuff that I don't want bounced around goes in the car (like solar panels and gas water heater).

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I've never camped with a trailer. That will change shortly as we've recently acquired one. We do have a kakavan. But that has mostly just been used for "resort-style camping" when the kids tag along.

I've toured extensively, and my rig is sorted out perfectly for this. Difficult with kids as I mostly rely on the RTT when we do this. Meaning most of the time it is normally only myself and the LF in the truck.

As a novice "tourer", I relied heavily on ammo-boxes. Until I realised that I hate them with a passion. Since those early, misguided days, I now have a drawer system in the Patrol. One side is technical stuff, the other side is perishables and the kitchen stuff that does not fit in our kitchen box which sits next to the fridge in the boot.

The new trailer has a slide which accommodates a number of ammo-crates. Cannot remember how many, actually. There are two major modifications I will be making to the trailer in the upcoming few weeks. One goes about the "kitchen". The second one is getting rid of the ammo crates. They will be replaced with drawers.

Edit: Expect an upcoming post about this shortly. Also, expect an upcoming for-sale item shortly. 90L National Luna fridge. Barely used. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Ammo boxes are not that bad. I use them. First thing I do when setting up camp is remove all the lids. They have their advantages.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

AndreasR wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:19 pm
Ammo boxes are not that bad. I use them. First thing I do when setting up camp is remove all the lids. They have their advantages.
Different strokes for different folks. I cannot justify half of one of my drawers in the system being taken up by the lid and surrounds of an ammo-crate. :D
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Erin

Post by Erin »

Packing? The sum total of my system is chucking a cooler box, mattress, and a kit bag in the back of the bus, once I've taken the seats out.

Did I mention the bloody seats are fckn heavy. Almost enough to make me pack a tent. :-)

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

iandvl wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:32 pm

There are two major modifications I will be making to the trailer in the upcoming few weeks. One goes about the "kitchen". The second one is getting rid of the ammo crates. They will be replaced with drawers.
. :)

What model and make Trailer did you get

Post a pic pls

Yes yes give us some of your Thoughts

Renay and myself have a very good idea on how to upgrade our Hope

Spoke to Woolf aswell regarding the composite material he used in his Jimny drawer system

The more ideas and planning go into a project
The better it turns out
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

CornellMans

Post by CornellMans »

I pack as follows:
Trailer : (Everything stays in the trailer during storage, to make sure it's hook up and go)
Electricals - cables, loose lights, headlamps, rechargeables, leads etc.
Tools - Stuff to fix electrical faults that may occur, mallet, hammer, wheel spanner, etc (in ammo box)
Awning sides
Camp matrasses / Disco beds
Ground sheets
Tent poles and pegs
Trailer kitchen wear (in Ammo box)
Ammo box used for uncooled food items (Ammo box stays in trailer, but gets packed according to planned menu)
2 x 1.m folding tables, 1 x small table
1 x camp cupboard
Potjie (if needed)
Gas stove (2 plate or more portable Cadac Chef, as needed)
2x 5kg Gas bottles mounted

Vehicle:
Clothes, Cameras, my fridge with perishables, drinks, typically anything that you take back into your house after a camping trip.
2018 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 XLT AT
Wilderness 310