Maxxis Tyres

Tappit behaviour & how it affects you...

General / Off Topic chat
Redman

Post by Redman »

Daar is altyd een maaitjie wat nie wil saamwerk nie...

I grew up on the farm in Northern Natal (folks are still down there). This area is well known for its mountains which meant that using 4x4 wasn't a luxury bet a necessity on a daily basis. For me this was as normal as it comes (how I grew up and where I learned to drive). However as I grew older I started noticing how much our friends and families enjoyed coming down and driving on some of these tracks on the farm.

Some of the younger guys in town approached my dad (this was the early 2000's) and asked him if they could come and park on our yard and then drive some of the district roads and the tracks on our farm (which included a few river crossings. Rietspruit river). My dad being the great guy he is agreed and that weekend we had 3 4x4's with trailers on the farm (some dirt bikes and a quad in tow). They first headed out with the 4x4's and then did bike riding in the afternoon. When the came back my dad had lit a fire and invited them for a proper farm braai. My dad noticed some donut marks in one of the district roads the following Monday. A couple of weekends later another batch arrived (with more friends this time). My dad requested that they rather not throw donuts on district roads ("daar is ander boere wat ook die pad moet gebruik kerels") and went and showed them a massive clearing where we stacked our timber, where they can safely throw some hand brake turns and donuts. "Jissie dankie Oom". A lot of fun was had that day and again my dad lit a nice for afterwards.

This group steadily got larger and larger. We even started seeing cars from other provinces on the odd occasion. Nonetheless, still a happy arrangement. Eventually my dad cut open a few 210L drums and placed it next to the one shed for them to enjoy themselves, as it just became to many people to cater for. Still very thankful. Our garden engineer was also very thankful as they paid him to wash off the bikes and 4x4's afterwards while they were having a braai. In most cases they would have been sent of with either some meat for the freezer, any fresh vegetables we had, a taxi pack eggs, charcoal or firewood.

Slowly but surely we started having issues. A guy hits a gate, drives through the fence etc, bumped some cattle, ran over some of the locals chickens etc. This became a weekly thing however and it was eventually requested that they just try and be more cautious. Fast forward to one windy August Saturday afternoon. Now my dad was more alert than usual (August - high wind = very high fire risk, a big deal for a timber farmer). When we heard a massive commotion outside the shed. Some idiots where hanging out of the cars windows while throwing donuts on the grass. Jonty my dads Jack Russel got triggered by this and rushed in to tame this beast making the noise. The rear tire narrowly missed my dads beloved Jack Russel by a few inches. I think they knew what just had happened as all of the sudden the just went quit. My dad informed them that this will be the last gathering on our property and that they can finish the braai and then leave...

Fast forward a few years. A 18/19 Year old me got a tap on the shoulder in the bar in town. Guy looks at me. "Jou pa is mos die p**s wat nie wil he ons moet op sy plaas ry nie..."

Sorry for this long story. But what I am trying to get to. This type of behavior is unfortunate but has always been like this and will most likely continue into the future. It is always the other party that is at fault (being a drip, or not knowing or allowing others to have fun). Unfortunately "mooi praat" doesn't work and the only thing that does is for the other 95% of the well behaved to also suffer and be prohibited. There are some very valid suggestions in this thread, but again this will only apply and be supported by the 95% of rule following individuals.

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

As some know, I allow the local enduro riders to park at the pub and then ride out to the De Wildt loop through Garankuwa.
This is strictly for 2-wheelers.

Some guy approached me the other day and asked if his quad bike mates could join. I told him "over my dead body".............

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

jakeslouw wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 am
Some guy approached me the other day and asked if his quad bike mates could join. I told him "over my dead body".............
Good man!! That would have been a slippery slope if you allowed a qwat biker in!

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

Mad Manny wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:48 pm

I will NEVER go back to De Wildt...

Ive also experienced the Toyotaholics at Dewildt. Luckily it seems their constant hangovers mean theres just no ways they manage to start a trail early, so we came across them fiddling at the axle twisters while we were coming down again from that section. 9h30 in the morning with a light coloured coke in the glass in hand, amazing.

I still like dewildt, but, make sure to start very very early.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

… keep ‘em peeled,
and know the field signs
of when ToyotaHolics are about …
Attachments
6F48D8F8-D9AA-4089-B2AF-B49963B1394B.jpeg
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Redman wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 am
Fast forward a few years. A 18/19 Year old me got a tap on the shoulder in the bar in town. Guy looks at me. "Jou pa is mos die p**s wat nie wil he ons moet op sy plaas ry nie..."

There's the clue right there.
Bonehead.

Some guy posted a video of himself existing a steep climb.
Lots of wheel spin & a wheel lifted.
I asked "Why all the unnecessary spinning & wheel lifting?"
His reply?

"Want ek kan!".
Bonehead...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'