Grand Opening of the new 4x4 Track at the Lion & Safari Park

General / Off Topic chat
KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Even if you convert to GBP, this is moer duur. I won’t make it, sorry
Flex is overrated

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

And then they expect you to buy their overpriced food. At least the new place over the road is cool and fairly well priced. Called Nineteen69.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Hey! wait for my report.
It may well be worth it.
Looks like normal entry is R225 and they are only charging R100 extra for the trail.
I'll report back on Sunday.

Neneteen69 used to be in Boskruin.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Will be interesting to get some feedback on it. Did receive an invite, but I am out this weekend. I understand the way they calculate the price, but, unfortunately it will be on the expensive side... It does, however, offer something unique.

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

As nice as it might be, that’s a lot of money. I saw Ant and the crew there the other day doing their thing and it looked amazing, but yeah, too rich for my blood.
I’ll wait for the next litter pick-up volunteer day and go in for free again :)

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Here is my feedback on the Lion & Safari Park & the new 4x4 Track.

This report will be in 3 parts:

I. A back ground to yesterday & review of the venue.
II. A review of yesterday
Then the part most of you will be interested in..
III. Should you go to the Lion & Safari park & do their 4x4 Trail?

Before I start, full disclosure - I did NOT pay the entry fee yesterday, I was invited as a VIP guest by Off Course 4x4.
However, no one, at any stage, asked me to do anything in return for the free entry.

Let's go;
I. A back ground to yesterday & review of the venue.
Terrance Tracy is the (Irish)man behind the track - he is involved with the Lion & Safari Park.

Through a post Terrence made on FB, he hooked up with Japie of Off Course 4x4 and they then built the track.

Japie, Terrence, Ant and others like Swift & Riaan/Bad Habit(& I presume many others) spent a few weekends building the track.
Yesterday was the Grand Opening of the track/trail.

The Lion & Safari park moved to the current location on the Pelindaba Road en route to Harties a few yesrs ago.
It's a nice venue. Plenty parking & seems to be a well run operation.
Plenty staff at all major points, many game viewing trucks, good facilities etc.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

II. A review of yesterday
AntonB contacted me when he heard I'd also been invited & we agreed to drive together.
We met up near my house & drove in a 2 4x4 convoy.
Anton was accompanied by his BIL PaulH, also a 4x4'er.

We arrived just before 08:00 per the invite.
There were 11 other 4x4's there, we greeted Ant & Japie & Danie (The Off Course Cameraman).
A Joos walked up & greeted me - friendly chap, but he drives a Datsun.
MartinDJ & Ester also arrived - Martin in his Jimny.

We deflated to 1.2bar

At 08:30 we headed out.

Here I must criticise the organisers - There was no 'Welcome' speech, no Introduction, no Overview of the day - nothing.
We were told to get going & drove off. I think they missed a trick there.

We went trough a few camps & then went through the Lion Camps, the Lions are very tame & curious, you basically push your 4x4 through them (see photos).
Once through the Lion enclosures (with gates well manned by attentive staff), we got to the Hyena enclosure.
There was a brief delay as we lost part of the 13 vehicle convoy - reminds me why the 4x4 Action Group alwaysgo through the 10 Commandments of 4x4'ing including convoy drills.
At the Hyena enclosure we stopped, some used the ablutions, others went to view the Hyenas.
We then started the track.

Most (but not all) vehicles had ORRA Radios & we used Channel 3 - this helped greatly with convoy control.

The track is still very much a Virgin Track & will benefit by more wheels using it.
The area has very sharp rocks (reminds me of the Santurion Mountain section), so tyre placement is critical.
We made our way to the river, there are a few 'gnarley' obstacles but almost all have escape routes.
The one obstacle was not for 'plaasbakkies' so only the SFA equipped vehicles did it.

For the next while you remain close to the river.

Unfortunately Lion & Safari is down stream from Diepsloot - so there is a disgusting amount od litter (mainly plastic bags) all over.
Terrance is trying to attend to it - but they'd need a team constantly cleaning. I suggested a big net at the point where the river enters their property to catch the litter. They could then just clean the net every week or two.
But it's a problem - caused by Diepsloot.

I enjoyed the river section - the sharp rock section & it's bash crash nature are not to my personal liking.
However, as mentioned, the track will improve with use.

On the opposite side of the river is the ruins of a large house - apparently it used to belong to Tokio Sexwale.

On leaving the river section I got stuck - AntonB had to winch me (albeit on a few feet).
There was a stock standard Fortuner right behind me with HT tyres - he did the same obstacle flawlessly - I'm clearly losing my touch.

We saw a giraffe, some other buck (?Nyala - I didn't see it) & some saw a Black Cheetah?

The guys who drove with us were a nice crowd - there was even a ToyotaHolic there - he had a nice SFA Hilux & has shortened the back.
He displayed no Holic tendancies - actually a nice chap. Image
Joos guided me through a few obstacles, very knowledgeable & helpful.

By 13:00-ish we were back at the Hyena enclosure (about 4 hours of driving).
Remember this was a group of largely very experienced drivers.
A group of, say 10 vehicles, of average ability, could take longer.

There didn't seem to be a central plan after arriving back to the Hyena enclosure - we were hoping everyone would go to the Lapa to braai.
Some left there & then.
Some said they want to play in the quarry & others said they'd come braai.

Eventually about half us went to the Lapa to braai - the braai area is large & really nicely laid out.
No shade though - not an issue yesterday - but could be in summer.
They'd hired nice mobile ablutions for the day - nice touch & the fires were lit when we arrived.
I assume they'll erect permanent ablutions in due course.

On my way out I was blocked by Cedric - a young Giraffe with no road manners.

In summary: Nice new track, will improve with use, nice crowd of guys, some nice rigs, really nice braai area.
You do see a little game on the trail (& some vultures).
I felt the day could have been more structured & formalised - but that may just be me.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

III. Should you go to the Lion & Safari park & do their 4x4 Trail?
Right, there is ONLY ONE reason this is even a question - the cost.
Currently the costing is R325 per person.
So, if you and the wife take your teenager with, it's a R975 outing.

If you ignore the price - it's a no brainer - go.

So let's analyze the cost:
1st: note the following:
Over 65's & under 12's are free.
If it's your 2nd visit, you get 30% off (R100pp discount).

2ndly Remember:
The facilities are great,
You get access to the Lion & other camps.
You get to do the 4x4 Track.

Also, for people living in the greater Johannesburg Metro area - it is the closest track to home.
Took me 40 minutes to get there.

So, in my opinion, it's definitely worth a visit.
Go make a day of it. Enjoy the track.
Remember to remind them it's your 2nd visit.

In the family of 3 @ R975 example.
Deduct the R300 other trails charge & suddenly its only a R675 outing.
Less if you get the 2nd visit discount & it's only R375 for the Lion & Safari portion of the day.

But make a whole day of it.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I've invited others. like AntonB & MartinDJ to give their feedback...

Anton

Post by Anton »

Lion and safari park 4x4

4x4 vir plesier was invited to the Lion and Safari park 4x4 open day by Off Course 4x4.

We arrived after a 40min drive from the West Rand at the parking area just after 08h00.
We deflated our tyres when we arrived. By 08:30 we departed via the lion enclosure. Really awesome to see these big cat's.
A short drive to obstacle Nr 1, that was clearly marked, must say all obstacles were clearly marked with pointer boards, from start to finish.

The trail is clean and scenic and well planned for all 4x4s from easy to challenging with a couple of extreme obstacles. You need a spotter to help. On this trail you might get to use your winch, like I did....
We ended our day with a Braai at the Bush Lapa.
The 4x4 trail is a must do if you don't mind rocks and challenging obstacles, it will keep you busy from 08:00 am to 04:00pm depending on the amount of vehicle's.
From my point of view it is an awesome trail..
I could see that the trail was well planned and lots of time and labour went in to the trail.

Well done OFF COURSE 4X4 for building an awesome trail.

When in doubt.... Gas it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Martin de Jager

Post by Martin de Jager »

I am reviewing on the positive side, this new venue offers people another option. Something new, I went on my own, and I paid with a smile, what friendly staff. Not being a VIP, I went on my own, wanted to see what was promised was worth the hype.
Driving through the lion pen, in a Jimny, the big male being his boisterous self must have thought breakfast arrived or maybe he was seriously in need of exercise, damn he stood level to me, my Jimny felt so small.
Being in the smallest car, I believe it was a bit of an eye opener of what capable means.
The first obstacle reminded me a bit of the lines Sakkie use to throw at us, I loved the beginning drop off and the last section.
Terence and friends were brilliant and good hosts, they under estimate our level of driving ability, Same as Manny I am very shy of sharp rock, these rocks were ugly, my left front tyre was badly nicked, driving home the tyres had to settle in after being deflated to 1.2 bar, at one stage I though I had a deflation possible flat.
We arrived at obstacle four, only the start being difficult, one of the Jeeps and a Nissan got hung up. Against my liking Japie suggested I give a miss, so did most of the bigger cars.
The next obstacle Manny got stuck, I drove it with ease, the narrow point caught Manny out, the Jimny drove it like a champ.
The river section reminds you of Hekpoort, not nearly as steep. But i enjoyed it.
The very last obstacle was a bit technical, most of the big boys struggle on the incline and the turn, the Jimny drove it with ease, really showed the line.
Japie and Ant in the big 35 inch tires made it look easy, the Jimny being the smallest on 29 inch, was tested but stood his ground.
Was it worth the money and would I do it again, maybe not.
It remains expensive with the bonus being the Lions,
The venue is very clean, the staff very friendly, and that by itself earns some points.
As a 4x4 route other offer more options and a better test for man and machine.
Did it offer value for money, as venue yes, seeing the animals yes, as 4x4 route and tester I would rate it 6.5/10.
Attachments
PA5_0881.JPG
PA5_0847.JPG
DSC_0134.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG
DSC_0101.JPG
2011 Toyota Prado 3.0 VX,
2013 Suzuki Jimny, Ratel (larger than life),
2023 Toyota Starlet xr auto,
2019 Invader Duo.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Possibly they should consider giving clubs that make block bookings ( > a given number ) an enticing discount ?
Could be a win-win tactic.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Thanks for the reviews guys

grahamrob

Post by grahamrob »

Thanks for the reviews. I might have missed it - is this a guided route?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

No, not guided.