Erin Bosch, Insurance

down side of Mahindra

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Let me try understand this:

Thread Title - negative re Mahindra.

Posts 1, 2, 4 & 5 - OP lists negatives about the Mahindra

Posts 5 - 7 - IanDVL & MDF defend the Mahindra.

Post 9 & 10 Op says measurements show Mahindra is kak.

In the first 15 posts no one, except OP has slated the Mahindra D/Cab except the OP.

OP then starts a series of sulk posts, saying the other kids stole his toys?

Joe No Capital letters - I suspect you've picked a fight with yourself & you are angry because you are losing?

As for comparing THIS Forum with THAT Forum...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Shane

Post by Shane »

iandvl wrote:
jakeslouw wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:19 am
I subscribe to PPPPPPP............
I also subscribe to FFF...

Fiddle, Fiddle, F***ed. Image Image
Me in a nutshell ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Approach Angle
Your Mahindra has a very good approach angle. That is better than any other pickup model you mentioned and is in-line with a stock Patrol.

Turning Circle
You didn't include the turning circle figures in your post specifying the Hilux, Ranger and Amarok figures. Here they are:

Hilux 11.8m
Ranger 12.7m
Amarok 12.95m

The turning circle is a minor issue and I don't see it being specifically problematic. You may, however, need to make a few extra corrections on narrow tracks.

Breakover Angle
It's not excellent, but it is also not that bad. Not much you can do about that in any case apart from fitting bigger wheels...

Departure Angle
Your biggest issue is the tiny departure angle. The drop plate and towbar do not help this, but looking at photographs of the Mahindra Pickup I reckon the manner in which the back bumper connects to the back of the vehicle (it overhangs at the back of the vehicle and is also lower than the back of the vehicle) is the complete culprit here. Please bear in mind with that comment that I do not know the vehicle at all.

An aftermarket bumper (if they are available for the Mahindra Pickup) may be the answer to both of these. The bumper itself may allow for better departure angles and may also have an easily removable tow-ball receiver.

Conclusion
1: Larger wheels and lift will improve all specs apart from turning circle. The vehicle already has a lift and larger tyres.
2: Nothing can be done about turning circle. It's not fantastic, but the driver will need to learn to live with it.
3: Approach angle is good.
4: Breakover angle is not fantastic. Larger tyres already fitted. Can be worked around by approaching obstacles at an angle so that you always have a wheel on the higher bits.
5: Departure angle is not good. Larger tyres already fitted. Remove drop plate and possibly aftermarket bumper. Or learn to live with it by exiting obstacles at an angle.

Watching the two videos you posted, I seriously reckon you would have cleared the obstacle you got hung up on (ie: front and back wheels spinning) easily if it were not for the departure angle.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

In order to liken The 4x4Action Group Club Forum with Anythingbutt4x4/AlternativeEnergy Forum, you'd need to find the following on this Forum:

1, Brand Bashing - We don't have it. On this Thread ONLY joe no caps bashed a brand.

2. People looking for handouts, freebies & trying to smous their crap - Nope. Not here.

3. Heavy-Handed Moderation - Nope not hear.

4. 90% of members are dormant - Nope Not here.

5. 90% of posts not 4x4/Off Road/Overland/Camping/Outdoors related - Hell No - Not here.

6. The belief that 2SO works. - Nope, Not here.

The only thing that happens there that has happened here is ButtHurt Offense taking - please don't do that..

I think everyone here respects the Mahindra 4x4's & we've tried hard to support & assist on this Thread...

Shane

Post by Shane »

joe wrote:this thread starting to look like it belongs to that other forum

to summaries
mahindra pikup is long bakkie with not so big break over angles..
take care if driving trough narrow places and be prepared to dig.
Look Joe you might be a little oversensitve.

I get what you meant. Unfortunately here - people tend to call a spade a spade - no feelings spared.

Which is EXACTLY why I prefer being here. All this politically correct crap you get on other forums gives me heart burn! ImageImageImage

I don't think that it's anyone's intention to really criticise you - or your vehicle.

We just don't pull punches.

Personally I like the Mahindra's - limitations and all.

P.S - comparing this forum to the other one is war talk considering many members here were banned over there - for saying it as it is.

You could rather call them blue bull supporters ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shane on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Post #33 is an excellent post!

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

i like my mahindra too.
thread suppose to be about:
no 4x4 is perfect.
mahindra imperfections are:
length and angles.
that is all it is.

no caps

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

Manny you also misunderstood me or i have issue with expressing my self in writing.
as this is your house i guess i'm in wrong :lol:

i can not believe that most of you came with ,i'm bashing mahindra,after reading about
all i build for it.

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

and for alternative side,what reminded me of them was:
build the monster truck or stay home.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I'm lucky - there were lots of design decisions made with the Patrol which make it a fantastic vehicle offroad - even stock. The thing is, the Patrol was designed as an off-road vehicle and one cannot compare it to a pickup - that thing I said earlier about horses for courses. Those design decisions do make life considerably easier. Too easy, actually. I sometimes miss my first 2.4L Hardbody - which was also not the best in terms of clearance and angle-related specifications - as one really had to take care in terms of the lines one took and similar. The Patrol is just much more forgiving on the occasions one does make a mistake or decides to follow the "tiger line". You cannot compare it to a "generic bakkie-based" 4x4**.

That said, even designed as an offroad vehicle, it also has it's limitations. Although it's wheels are very much towards the ends of the vehicle and this is what gives it fantastic approach and departure angles, this does mean that the breakover is not fantastic. It's weight is also a negative (although this can also be a positive - depending on what terrain you are traversing). And I'm not going to speak about its absolute lust for fuel. But these are all things one learns to live with.

My point is: All 4x4's have their specific limitations. And this is the reason that it is important to use them occasionally so that you can figure out what those limitations are and figure out how to work around them. Lots of respect for that. :)

** I used the term "generic bakkie-based" 4x4 because you get Patrol pickups and Cruiser pickups. But these can also not be compared to Mahindra Pickups / Rangers / Hiluxii / Amaroks / etc.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

:idea: you read peoples minds Ian?

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

testing is what i like to do before and after every alteration done.
piesankloof trail,clockwise and counterclockwise,one problem for standard mahindra.
side steps or as dealer call it rock slider are to soft and too low,i lost both of them.
if i didn't have them no damage would be done as bakkie is high enough.
solution was to build my own.

another test, i will not post video about it,
was to test bash plates.
driving over rocks with bang here and there shows they are ok so i needed to test it some more .
test:
drive fast on incline with high middle mantjie(spelling) at a top until plate hits and stops bakkie.
reverse and hit again
reverse and hit again
reverse and hit again
so this is what i do for fun.

same goes for starting this thread.
once i found problem i let everyone know,not to be critical but to warn about it.

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

I was considering not posting anything, but felt I had to. Without coming across in any negative manner. And this is my last post on this thread.

I mentioned understanding your vehicle - its positives and its negatives. I didn't necessarily mean testing to that extreme...

I have sliders. I have bashplates and transfer skid-plates and so on. Granted - I've not manufactured them myself - which might be the difference.

But I'm seriously not going to attempt to purposefully drive into objects in order to see how they work. Those plates are there for peace of mind most of the time. In the worst case, they will prevent damage. But, and I firmly believe this, that I as the driver and my vehicle are capable enough to be able to avoid damaging things. Crap does happen - I had a fire in my bumper on the Patrol Forum River Trip last year. But I didn't go looking for it. Preventing damage to you, the environment and your vehicle is in essence what driving offroad is about. Basically, understanding your vehicle, and getting through / over obstacles without damage. You're far ahead of some other folk in that regard.

Again - from your other posts - I gather you've designed and manufactured under-body protection for your vehicle and this probably changes things. But look after your truck as well. It looks after you. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

thanks for understanding Ian
and apology if i offended or upset anyone.

i would probably die of shame if someone manufactured given plate and had failure and damage.

i will update mahindra plates thread.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Here is the specs of my vehicle (Adventure edition):

Length: 4,456mm

Wheelbase: 2,680mm

Approach angle: 25 Degrees (Due to modified front bumper, I reckon it should be closer to 27 degrees)

Breakover Angle: 14 Degrees (Due to the larger tyres, it may be a bit more)

Departure Angle: 18 Degrees (Due to the protruding rear bumper, it may be less)

Turning circle: 11,3m

As I understand, It has the same chassis as the Pikup.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer