General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

GTG Oh GTG, wherefore art thou!

Post by Mad Manny »

So there have only been a few GTG's this year:

1. Wolwekloof on 9 January arranged by LesseW WesseL
2. The K@K Off Trip to Lekwena arranged by the Great Mad Manny
3. The trip to Loerkop arranged by Ant 4Gee
4. The great Carnage Canyon trip from 18 to 21 March, again, arranged by the GTG God, Mad Manny.

But since then, nothing.

Nothing in April.
Nothing in May.

Now before you blame Covid/Lockdowns/the Fuel Price/Loadshedding/the Weather/the Economy etc, I might point out that there were, in May:

A Suzuki Convoy - where a record of over 50 Suzukis (mainly Jimny's) did the Breedts Nek (or is it MaanhaarRand) Pass.

A group who did 6 trails on Jors Malan's farm in Klien Pella.

But those two were not arranged on this here fine Forum.

I put it to you, that there is a severe dearth of individuals with the required combination of organisational skill & initiative on this Forum.

Prove me wrong...

PS: I don't actually like the term 'GTG', I prefer 'Outing' or 'Event' or even 'Function'...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

I offer our Brewpub as a staging area if anybody considers a GTG at De Wildt 4x4.

I can negotiate GTG discounts with the organizer based on RSVP numbers. But our prices are already very reasonable.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Well I'll be at Mount Amanzi, just outside of Harties, the weekend of the 9+10th of July...

Was thinking about doing one of the trails there.

Those in the know can help with which trails are nearby and , more importantly, not likely to cause vehicle damage and I can set something up.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

The closest trail there will be Piesangkloof - which is an awesome trail. The standaard trail is relatively easy. But it's pretty technical, very rocky and taking a bad line may see some issues with side-steps, vehicle tupperware etc. The views from the top of the Magaliesberg are very rewarding though - especially if one does the trail early and the vultures start hovering just over your head whilst looking for thermals... The extended trail is a little tricksier.

Other routes which are in the general vicinity are De Wildt and Hennops. De Wildt is a breeze. Hennops too, except there is one obstacle after "Harties View" which may give difficulties and another tricksy one on the latter-half of the trail. They do have bypasses though.

Looking further North, there is Moegatle, Kwaggasrus, Krokodilberg etc. But they are quite a bit further away.

Edit: I will unfortunately not be able to make it if you arrange something. My work commitments are rather mad at the moment and I'm going to be out of the country quite a bit in the next two or three months.
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

The alternative option is to do Breedtsnek pass. Not a trail, but a dirt road pass over the Magaliesberg. What is nice about it, is that one can drive from Skeerpoort (just West of Harties) on dirt road pretty much all the way to the pass. There is some very pretty game on that route too. One would have the option of heading back to Mount Amanzi via the Mooinooi road, or back down the pass and back via the route you travelled out on. Let me know if I should share the GPX.

Edit: The pass is also not maintained and in is a very sorry state nowadays after all the rains. This makes it quite a nice drive. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Renier_c

Post by Renier_c »

Sounds like time for an outing!!

Shane

Post by Shane »

iandvl wrote:The closest trail there will be Piesangkloof - which is an awesome trail. The standaard trail is relatively easy. But it's pretty technical, very rocky and taking a bad line may see some issues with side-steps, vehicle tupperware etc. The views from the top of the Magaliesberg are very rewarding though - especially if one does the trail early and the vultures start hovering just over your head whilst looking for thermals... The extended trail is a little tricksier.

Other routes which are in the general vicinity are De Wildt and Hennops. De Wildt is a breeze. Hennops too, except there is one obstacle after "Harties View" which may give difficulties and another tricksy one on the latter-half of the trail. They do have bypasses though.

Looking further North, there is Moegatle, Kwaggasrus, Krokodilberg etc. But they are quite a bit further away.

Edit: I will unfortunately not be able to make it if you arrange something. My work commitments are rather mad at the moment and I'm going to be out of the country quite a bit in the next two or three months.
Thanks for the feedback!

If De Wildt isn't too far I think it might be a good option. Might be a good opportunity to support Jelo's bar and maybe even have a toot with him....

I'll check them out on Youtube and start a new thread over the weekend Image

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

De Wildt is 15km frm Mount Amanzi and Jelo's pub is in between the two. I can highly recommend his beer. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Shane wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:29 pm
I'll check them out on Youtube and start a new thread over the weekend Image
Shane, here are the guidelines to the best way to run an Events Thread.
I fine tuned these to perfection over the 80 odd 4x4 events I have organised.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Manny if I may add to your first post and for those that feel offended: bite me!

1. No one likes to do the admin around arranging an event, well it has to be done by someone. Wait until you have to arrange a bigger event like a YEF then you will see what admin is..

2. If you are enjoying the outings then please be so kind to also raise your hand (spontaneously) and arrange trips for the club. Don’t just tag-along all the time without giving back.

3. Some people don’t arrange events but hell on the trail they help/guide anyone (esp. Beginners) unconditionally and with a smile on their face. These type of people IMO can sit back and enjoy the events without arranging them.

4. I want to arrange a day at Hennops trail, not Pride, soon but I was contemplating selling my Prado. Point I want to make, it would take max 10min of effort to pick the phone up and phone Hennops to book and another 15min of effort on the day to make sure everyone pays in their own capacity at the Hennops office. All GTG don’t need complex admin with big “Whoo-Ha” and Personal “Thank you Cards from the Care Bears” on the forum.

Enjoy your lovely day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Everyone, Wessel needs a hug.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

Ricoffy wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:45 am
Everyone, Wessel needs a hug.
Did he sell the Prado and buy a Ford ? :twisted: :twisted:
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

GFYS :lol:
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Having helped organize dozens of brewing club meetings, beer judging sessions etc, there is only 1 hard rule:

- Drop me once, shame on you
- Drop me twice shame on me and you will NEVER be on an RSVP list again........

Prof

Post by Prof »

jakeslouw wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:15 pm
Having helped organize dozens of brewing club meetings, beer judging sessions etc, there is only 1 hard rule:

- Drop me once, shame on you
- Drop me twice shame on me and you will NEVER be on an RSVP list again........
Words of wisdom...
'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
'02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'