4x4 Action Group

Why do people buy Wranglers and Jimny's?

General / Off Topic chat
Chris Stoffel

Why do people buy Wranglers and Jimny's?

Post by Chris Stoffel »

So I had a few beers and a Pinotage and I started thinking. Why do people buy these vehicles? I spoke to a lady with a Wrangler Sahara a while ago. She bought it because she liked it. She have never taken it off road. I look at who drives Jimny's, mostly elderly people and very young people. Why do they buy Jimny's? Because they are cute and small and nice commuters in town and easy to park? I sometimes speak to them, they all have never been off road or on an obstacle course but would like to do that. I tell them to join a 4x4 forum, they organize GTG. Go learn from them, they will help you.

The same goes for the 4x4 bakkies. And SUV's. But it seems as if these owners do go off road and do things like that. And drive into dams sometimes.

But mostly it seems as if all 4x4 owners are wanna be's.

So, over and out. Let me pour myself another Pinotage.
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Chris Stoffel wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 pm
So I had a few beers and a Pinotage and I started thinking. Why do people buy these vehicles? I spoke to a lady with a Wrangler Sahara a while ago. She bought it because she liked it. She have never taken it off road. I look at who drives Jimny's, mostly elderly people and very young people. Why do they buy Jimny's? Because they are cute and small and nice commuters in town and easy to park? I sometimes speak to them, they all have never been off road or on an obstacle course but would like to do that. I tell them to join a 4x4 forum, they organize GTG. Go learn from them, they will help you.

The same goes for the 4x4 bakkies. And SUV's. But it seems as if these owners do go off road and do things like that. And drive into dams sometimes.

But mostly it seems as if all 4x4 owners are wanna be's.

So, over and out. Let me pour myself another Pinotage.

It is true that the very elderly and decrepit seem to be buying Jimnys just lately .

However , I will say that it makes a load of sense to own a vehicle with decent sized side walls and proper suspension in Cape Town these days . The potholes are growing, and 4WD certainly helps in the areas where raw sewerage is running down the streets .
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

grips

Post by grips »

Because the are scared of driving Land Cruisers :lol:
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

grips wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:09 pm
Because the are scared of driving Land Cruisers :lol:
I like Land Cruisers but let's face it, they are so platteland and farmy looking.

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

Where I live, the terrain eats up normal cars. The one family here lost a Ssangyong Musso in a short time, and the platkar got sold quickly as it spent more time being recovered than driving. The old lady was asking what she should get, and I suggested a Jimny. It is small enough for her to handle, and a better vehicle for the terrain than a Kia Sportage which also did not survive long here. She has had the Jimny for a few months now, and I gave her a lesson or two on how to use it. She says it's the best thing she ever did getting the Jimny. It goes places some of the other bigger 4x4's can't. I was called to recover a Pajero the other day on the back of the farm, and here the old Tannie came cruising past with the Jimny with no problems. Kinda put the guy's nose out of joint a bit. But it's also a case of incorrect tire pressures, which the rest of us have learned to be critical here.

The Jimny is an easy no-frills 4x4 for places like this. Some of the fancy 4x4's get confusing when guys don't know what they have to switch off, or on for certain types of conditions. Traction control is a killer in this deep sand, but the barebones simple things just do what they have to do. Even my wife gets it right to just cruise wherever she wants with my old donkey. Just one lever, and you are set to go.

That said, I do see an incredible number of SJ's and Jimny's here on the West Coast amongst the older people. But I do find a fair number of them on the beaches where the Uncle is doing some fishing. These cars are small enough for the elderly but have the added capability to get them to places if needed. I myself would consider a Jimny in a heartbeat as my "go to town" vehicle instead of the Sani. The Sani is great as a workhorse and recovery vehicle on the farm, but in town it is a handful. I just have a horrible 15km gravel road to bridge with a 4x4 to get to the closest tar road, and the Jimny would do it for us, and be a better car for my wife to handle. I don't have a problem controlling the Sani at 90km/h on this road, but my wife crawls at 40 because she feels like it is going to fall over. The Jimny would be a better option. Now when are they going to release a diesel Jimny?
David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases

LesseW

Post by LesseW »

Most 4x4 owners buy them for show and to give them entitlement to walk like John Wayne , it's like the passport control people. They weren't prefects in school, and all of a sudden they have power by owning a 4x4.

I can just laugh at the 4x4 people trying to find acceptance of a group by sticking a logo over half their windscreen yet their 4x4 never touches dirt.....
Land Cruiser 200VX
FJ Cruiser
Bushlapa Baobab 4

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

People who buy capable 4x4's & don't use them are hero's:
They feed the market with nice unmolested used 4x4's.
Bless them..
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

LesseW wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:48 am
Most 4x4 owners buy them for show and to give them entitlement to walk like John Wayne , it's like the passport control people. They weren't prefects in school, and all of a sudden they have power by owning a 4x4.

I can just laugh at the 4x4 people trying to find acceptance of a group by sticking a logo over half their windscreen yet their 4x4 never touches dirt.....
Very true.

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Humans are strange animals. They buy what they want/can afford.