Maxxis Tyres

The Gobabis Story!!!

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

The Gobabis Story!!!

Post by Mad Manny »

OK, so is, as requested, the Gobabis story:

Disclaimer: I looked for the original Thread, but couldn't find it, so I'm relating from memory.

About 6 or 8 years ago, a guy called Hugo Notte posts on the 'other' Forum that a mate of his told him that he took his D-4D Hilux to Gobabis Toyota.
They had remapped it so that it can outrun the V6 4.0 Hilux.

I call BS & the guy doubles down saying the story is 100% legit.

I repeat that it is nonsense, this causes a hub-bub, the guys who agree with me are backing me, the guys who don't like me or don't agree are chirping me.

But the guy is sticking to his story, so the onus is placed on me to prove him wrong.

This carries on for a day or two and see notice that there is now a lot of guys calling my bluff.
I decide to call Gobabis Toyota & say, on the Thread, that I will. No one believes me.
I realise that I need to resolve this as I am losing face.
So I get home one day & pick up my Telkom phone (My Cell didn't have international roaming) & dial the number.
But my Landline also can't dial out of SA.
I then remember my fax line can dial out as I'd sent a fax to the UK a while back.
I use the fax phone & call Gobabis Toyota & ask to speak to the Workshop Manager.

Before there are any wise arse chirps - I no longer have a Fax line or a Landline - I've moved to Fiber.

Anyhoo, I ask the workshop manager if its true they can re-map a D-4D to outrun a V6 4.0.
He says no, the ECU is a sealed box & if he opens it Toyota will have him shot.
Besides, even if a tuner could remap it, it still won't outrun a V6.

I decide I need to be 100% sure. as the guys will just claim the Workshop manager lied to protect himself.
So, being smart, I had got the name of the 'friend' who's D-4D had, allegedly, been chipped.
I ask him "Are you not busy working n a Hilux belonging to Xyz?"? (I can't recall the guys name).
He said "Yes, it is in for [whatever it was in for] but we are still busy with it, we haven't driven it & he himself is only coming in 2 days to collect it - even he hasn't driven it, so how can he say it outruns anything?".
I thank him & end the call.

I then post this on the Thread, my detractors all have egg on their faces.

The guys who thought it was BS are smug...

But that was not where it ended...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

So, as a result of that incident, when ever someone posted ridiculous performance claims, the response would be "Was it tuned by Gobabis Toyota."
Even if a guy had a Defender 110 & said his Snorkel & straight through pipe has given him this wild performance increase, the guys would chirp "Must have been tuned by Gobabis Toyota!".

A few years later I was at a 4x4 track & two guys I did not know were watching a guy do a steep obstacle, the guy was struggling, but then he gunned it & with wheels spinning he got out, he was so chuffed he cranked it - spinning the wheels in celebration.
The one guys says to the other "Smaak my daai Hilux was by Gobabis Toyota".

So it became a saying, still used to this day.

Foot Note:
I felt bad for Hugo Notte & the fact that I'd out'ted him, I was told he is actually a great guy not prone to BS statements.
So I was careful never to get on his wrong side again. I think he was just a victim of his mate's yarn.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Manny "Sherlock Holmes" De Freitas!