4x4 Action Group

The Action Snatch

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

The Action Snatch

Post by Mad Manny »

The 'Action Snatch' is a Kinetic Recovery Rope.
It is a rated 12 ton, 12 strand 24mm thick 9.00Lm long rope.
It has 'eyes' on either end.

Obviously, being Kinetic, it should be used with caution & training before use is essential.

We have it available, on order, for a very competitive, launch price of R1 500.00.

Tauro, for example, sell a 11 ton, 20mm thick rope for R1 500.00.

Contact me if interested.

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

grips

Post by grips »

Sounds good. I will take one.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

You will notice that the Action Snatch Kinetic Rope is white & has no cover.

My existing Snatch Rope has a nice brightly covered cover.

In doing my research, I spoke to a 'Ropeologist' :D he was NOT impressed with my covered Snatch Rope.
He said it prevents a visual inspection of the ropes condition.
He was very passionate about Kinetic ropes, saying he doesn't believe they should sold to the public without formal training.
I explained that the cover it to prevent the ingress of sand& dirt & he exploded in objection.
He showed me a kinetic rope as thick as my forearm that is covered & said that even that thick hardy cover on that rope filed to prevent the ingress of particles.
That rope serves under limited usage conditions & is then destroyed (you know how mines are about OHS Regulations).

He was at pains to explain how important it is to do a visual inspection of the rope after each use &, if there's any sign of fraying or damage the rope should be cut up.
This is his main objection to a cover, he said that, if the cover was removable, so you could inspect, he'd have no problem with it.

His view is the cover serves as great branding & helps obscure the origin, but does little else.

Incidentally, the Action Snatch, is looped back to make the 'eyes' in a more intricate way, so it is NOT advisable to undo the eye in order to slide a cover on.

I then compared my new Action Snatch to my existing Kinetic Rope which has done about 12 recoveries.
My old one is about 1.00m longer, so the 'bounce back' (aka Memory) is starting to diminish.

Remember to only attach using rated shackles & stand waaay back.

I have a 'bullet hole' damage to my rear number plate when, on Road to Hell, a Kinetic Strap (not Rope) snapped & smashed into the back of Fearless - Fortunately we were all being cautious & there was no other damage.
Take a look at my rear number plate next time you see Fearless.

ImageImageImage

grips

Post by grips »

The SecureTec rope I have also came without a cover.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Orders:

1. Malkoppie
2. Griips
3. Bugger

Please note that these will only be sold to experienced 4x4'ers.
Others may order, but must undergo some basic kinetic recovery training before hand over.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Mad Manny wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am
Orders:

1. Malkoppie
2. Griips

Others may order, but must undergo some basic kinetic recovery training before hand over.

... perhaps also IQ test ?
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

1. Malkoppie
2. Griips
3. Bugger
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Anthony Forgey

Post by Anthony Forgey »

I am not a fan of the kinetic straps, but I'm a big fan of the kinetic rope. I've used mine so many times I've lost count. If I didn't already have a rope I'd buy one. I think its a pretty reasonable price too.

Renier_c

Post by Renier_c »

Mad Manny wrote:

Good idea!!!

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Anthony Forgey wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:37 pm
I am not a fan of the kinetic straps, but I'm a big fan of the kinetic rope. I've used mine so many times I've lost count. If I didn't already have a rope I'd buy one. I think its a pretty reasonable price too.
I laughed when I had my gardener hold the one end of my old bright green Snatch Rope & one end of the Action Snatch, I then grabbed the other ends and walked away (once I got it into his head to stand his ground) I got, at 9.0Lm, to the end of the Action Snatch, but the old one still had over a meter to go...
It's amazing how much 'elasticity' had been lost.
But then, I have done about 12 recoveries, some rather violent.

But I'd say these Ropes are good for at least two or three dozen recoveries - obviously you can do more, but as the memory/elasticity diminishes it gets less effective.

* Obviously you need to inspect it after each use to check for rope wear & damage.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Matt’s off-road recovery in the US comes to mind.

He uses Yankum Ropes and he uses them repeatedly, daily, for recoveries and it seems to last for ages and plenty of recoveries.

I wonder how those are made compared to the new “Action In a Snatch” rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flex is overrated

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Kurt, I did some research.
Yankum is not well known in the US.
But it seems Matt's Youtube channel has put them on the map.

In the US, Bubba Ropes, (how American) are the popular ones.

On one Forum none of the guys had heard about Yankum.

The Yankum seems to be the premier, more expensive brand.

Yankum uses snake names to name their different Kinetic Ropes. :?

The One closest to the Action Snatch is the Rattler

1" Rattler 33,500 lbs (that's 24mm & 15 ton)
MSRP: $245.00 (that's over R4000.00)

Strangely I can't find any indication of how long the rope is. I assume around 9Lm...

The Bubba ropes are a lot cheaper, about half that price.

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

If anyone is interested I have a copy of testing done on the US military KERR ropes ( large diameter snatch ropes).
If you are interested in the more technical side of these ropes it is an interesting read.
File size is 3.3Mb so a bit large to attach here.

Snatch ropes and straps are ll made out of the same fibre (Nylon 6) with varying weaves and braids.
Nylon 6 has ~30% stretch (as a fibre) after which permanent non-elastic deformation occurs.
If you stay within the elastic limitations of the rope or strap it will last a long time but exceed it and the rope or strap will take on a longer "set" and have less and less elasticity.
Nylon 6 also has a recovery period which limits the stretch capacity with each successive pull.
So ~30% on the first pull, there after less and less with each pull depending on how close you took it to elastic limit and the time between pulls.

In short.... It is easy to kill a brand new recovery strap or rope if you repeatedly take it past its elastic ability

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

Wooky wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:55 am
If anyone is interested I have a copy of testing done on the US military KERR ropes ( large diameter snatch ropes).
If you are interested in the more technical side of these ropes it is an interesting read.
File size is 3.3Mb so a bit large to attach here.

Snatch ropes and straps are ll made out of the same fibre (Nylon 6) with varying weaves and braids.
Nylon 6 has ~30% stretch (as a fibre) after which permanent non-elastic deformation occurs.
If you stay within the elastic limitations of the rope or strap it will last a long time but exceed it and the rope or strap will take on a longer "set" and have less and less elasticity.
Nylon 6 also has a recovery period which limits the stretch capacity with each successive pull.
So ~30% on the first pull, there after less and less with each pull depending on how close you took it to elastic limit and the time between pulls.

In short.... It is easy to kill a brand new recovery strap or rope if you repeatedly take it past its elastic ability
What sort of recovery period would be needed to retain the elasticity on each pull?

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

The recovery period is very dependant on how much you have stretched the fibre.
The further you have stretched it the longer it takes to recover.
Also the weave / braid of the rope or strap also appears to have some effect on recovery speed but this is only hearsay based on internet opinions.

I have not found actual test data but most manufacturers seem quote 12 to 24hrs after a hard pull for full recovery but this is not really going to happen in a recovery situation. My suggestions would be two fold:

1/ If you are pulling hard then use multiple straps/ ropes (one at a time) swapping them out after each attempt.
2/ If only one strap / rope then slow down and have a break between attempts to give it a chance to recover some of its elasticity