Mikem Supsension

Deflating in the First World

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

The point of the video is that it seems that, slowly, gradually, these non-Saffas are realizing they ride with tyres too hard....

They should read this Thread....

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

grips

Post by grips »

What I have also noticed in the video is that by the sound of the engine the Navara does not have enough grunt to accelerate it self out of trouble.
With a more powerful vehicle you could speed up and run on top of the sand. Seems the Navara could not speed up to do that.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

grips

Post by grips »

Mad Manny wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 am
The point of the video is that it seems that, slowly, gradually, these non-Saffas are realizing they ride with tyres too hard....

Don`t be fooled there are many Saffas that does not deflate. See them all over. Last December playing in the dunes I could go in 2wd where some could not go in 4wd. These guys does not believe you when you tell them to go lower that the magic 1 bar. Do not know where the 1 bar myth started but most of the first time sand drivers I have met believe it needs to be 1 bar.

As said tyre profile is of more value than the pressure. With the Little Patrol at 0.5 the Maxxis Big Horns still looks like they are at 1.5.
Ignus needs to go down to 0.3 to get a decent sand drive tyre profile.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

grips wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 am
Mad Manny wrote:

Don`t be fooled there are many Saffas that does not deflate. See them all over. Last December playing in the dunes I could go in 2wd where some could not go in 4wd. These guys does not believe you when you tell them to go lower that the magic 1 bar. Do not know where the 1 bar myth started but most of the first time sand drivers I have met believe it needs to be 1 bar.

As said tyre profile is of more value than the pressure. With the Little Patrol at 0.5 the Maxxis Big Horns still looks like they are at 1.5.
Ignus needs to go down to 0.3 to get a decent sand drive tyre profile.
I do think there is a massive difference between less dense hot sand you normally find in the dunes vs the more compact wetter sand you find on the beach. For hotter less dense sand (like in the dunes) you would be a fool to drive at anything above 1bar. On wetter sand, you may get away with a higher pressure.

Like I mentioned, I rarely deflate below 1,2bar at the Nambian Coast. I am an avid fisherman and drive about 300km a year on the beach. At 1,2bar I can drive without much hassle on the beach and return to town via the salt roads without having first to inflate the tyres - life is too short for that.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Ek het dit ook gehoor. Aangesien ek ook 'n Navara ry, sal ek dit nie persoonlik opneem nie :D

Bygeseg, ek het nog nooit werklik nodig gehad om met die Navara (of die Hardbody voor dit) om in Lowrange te ry as ek gaan visvang nie, dit demper die momentum wat ek glo mens nodig het. 4H in 2de of selfs 3de rat is meer as voldoende - en mens het nie eers nodig om die moffieknoppie te druk nie. Ek handhaaf dan enige iets tussen 30kph en 50kph in die twee ratte.

Die Navara het genoeg krag, maar soos enige ander kar, die moegoe agter die stuur bepaal die vermoens van die enjin.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

grips

Post by grips »

Dit was dalk die probleem hy het dalk die Navara in verkeerde rat gehad. Teen 30 na 50km/h sal hy lekker bo-op die sand loop.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Watch this video by 4WD24/7 Australia, at 2min45 the convoy stops to deflate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOpGS_ ... ture=share

At 2mins50 Graham Cahill says, "...and I'm taking my Duellers down to 21PSI...".
21 PSI is 1.5 bar - that's barely deflating... :shock: :o :?

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Watch this video, by Ronny Dahl of 4Wheelin Australia.
At 3min00 they stop to deflate...

https://youtu.be/chh7Be1kn8I

Ronny says, "...All Terrain tyres I'm going down to 18PSI..."
His mate deflates to 22 Psi & 25PSi.
This is before doing dunes.
18 PSI is 1.25 bar - that's hardly low enough for soft sand... :shock: :o :?
In Ronny's defense, he does drop the pressures a few more times until he gets to around 0.4bar

grips

Post by grips »

Mad Manny wrote:

Have seen it this past December. Saffas, 90% of them have no clue what it means to deflate. People does not understand sand and dune driving.
This one chap in a 80 series Cruiser stormed a very simple mild dune like 5 times before he could get over. Longer runups and higher revs each time.
Seems to be the driving style of average Joe.

Vehicles with lowered pressure sailed over with no sweat.

Christopher played around with the 2.8 Hilux testing diff lock and traction control and tyre pressures. Nothing can duplicate the performance of tyres at 0.6 and if needed even lower. Must say the 2.8 impressed with its power and torque. Could do some dunes with no runup which many could not do at speed.

If someone thinks he can do sand and dunes without deflating he still have lots to learn about sand driving.