The House Doctor

Mad Manny's Monthly Motoring Magazine Review...

General / Off Topic chat
Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I received a very nice mail from Mary Willemse of 4x4 Adventure Afrika.

I've posted it here as it is interesting:

Currently we are printing just over 6 000 copies (60-40 Afrikaans/English split) and distribute via Last Mile Logistics to retail outlets country-wide (Checkers; Spar; Exclusive Books; Caltex and soon too PnP too) but will shortly also be digitally available on Zinio.
You can subscribe for the print edition at R430 per annum (excl VAT) by visiting our website: https://4x4afrika.com/subscribe/ >> readers subscribing during October 2020 – February 2021 stand a chance to win a luxury weekend getaway to the Mapesu Private Game Resvere (Mopane Bush Lodge) near Mapangubwe which is valued at R25k.
The Zinio digital subscription will run at R300 per annum (excl VAT) – I will keep you posted on progress, should you be interested. You can follow us on various channels:
• Facebook under Adventure Africa (up until this week it was 4x4Afrika – Facebook had some rules about name changes which prevented us to change earlier) with the handle @4x4afrika
• Instagram: @avontuuradventure_afrika
• YouTube channel for some video content: Adventure Afrika
• General enquiries/comments: info@4x4afrika.com

Your info on the review is correct and yes, our publisher (Anton Willemse) and regular contributor (Angus Boswell) are both in fact former SA4x4 employees – since the latter along with Leisure Wheels opted for digital/online only and discontinued printing (as far as we know, at least), we saw an opportunity to venture into this market with a new, fresh content offering. Having said that, I think it’s important to point out that the nature of what we write about and include in terms of regular features will at times feel familiar as destinations and topics undoubtedly overlap with what has been written by various overland, adventure and outdoor lifestyle publications in the past. For example our association with Lekker Kampplekke (who give us a monthly column on camping sites) and Mountain Passes of South Africa (write-ups on interesting passes) was something that also appeared in the former Leisure Wheels print edition (now discontinued, as far as we know). For us, this was an obvious partnership as it benefits both the contributor from a platform perspective and ourselves from a content perspective. The same applies to our travel partner, Ultimate Adventures which is run by Simon Steadman. His adventures and travels throughout the years make for engaging content and photos and as he continues to offer similar destinations, we feel that those stories are timeless.
In terms of the price comparison with CAR – yes, we are deemed more expensive per page but if you compare to the likes of Weg/Go (which now appears only every second month), we are more affordable. Pricing remains a fine balancing act and costing per magazine runs higher on a smaller print run such as ours which impacts the economy of scale and price position. However, to date our readers have been overwhelmingly positive with both price and content and we are grateful for the support as this is indeed a brave venture in this time of magazines closing shop (as pointed out by yourself).

I know a few of you have already subscribed (or are busy doing so)to the Zinio Electronic editions.
I prefer paper Magazines, so I'll be taking one - I just need to get round the Post Office issue, as the SAPO tends to steal anything they can lay their hands on...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Mike-PS

Post by Mike-PS »

Very professional response - hope they do well

CornellMans

Post by CornellMans »

Yeah I picked up a copy as well, liked it very much. Will keep my eyes open in the future.
2018 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 XLT AT
Wilderness 310

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

CAR Magazine January 2021 issue:

The January issue is always the Performance Issue

If you are into powereful sports cars then this is a GREAT issue.
Bumper to Bumper performance cars.

But for the context of these reviews on this Forum - nothing.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

GETAWAY January 2021:

They now send me GETAWAY as LEISURE WHEELS is no longer printed.

The January issue is good, nice article on Parys.

But nothing I feel I need to point out.

Its a good mag...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I finally found ADVENTURE AFRIKA in an Obscure Spar in Randpark.
It's a double issue.
You get the Mag (Prado on the cover) AND you get Issue one included for FREE.
So Issue 1 & Issue 3 combined.
As I bought (& reviewed) Issue 2 last month I now have all 3 of the first issues,

I'll review Issue 1 & then Issue 3 later in the week.

I see the two main articles are a Zambia tour with my former mates War Medic & Baby Jane who now run a Tour Guide outfit
(I hear they are doing VERY well) & an article on the Jimny...

Onwards

Post by Onwards »

Does CAR digital still exists?

Am an actual subscriber but have not yet received January issue...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

You can get digital editions of most mags.

CAR, Leisure wheels etc....

With most mags you automatically get the digital subscription if you subscribe to the printed version.

Alternatively, for a lot less money, you can take a digital only subscription.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:00 pm
CAR Magazine January 2021 issue:

The January issue is always the Performance Issue

If you are into powerful sports cars then this is a GREAT issue.
Bumper to Bumper performance cars.

But for the context of these reviews on this Forum - nothing.

I agree, was quite disappointed to read it.
Who in any event gives a flying f*#k about how fast a jeep and alfa SUV can go around a track?
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ricoffy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:13 pm
I agree, was quite disappointed to read it.
Who in any event gives a flying f*#k about how fast a jeep and alfa SUV can go around a track?
Being a bit harsh there Nambian. There are, fortunately, many PetrolHeads still out there.
I say 'fortunately' because many young people see a vehicle purely as a means of transport.
They have no interest in driving & as long as a vehicle can take them where they are going while they text, they are happy.

So, let's be glad there are still enough people out there interested enough in things like the January Performance Issue.

Yes, this is not a performance PlatKar forum, but some members here (Like Bugger & Quack) still have an interest.

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 pm
Being a bit harsh there Nambian. There are, fortunately, many PetrolHeads still out there.
I say 'fortunately' because many young people see a vehicle purely as a means of transport.
They have no interest in driving & as long as a vehicle can take them where they are going while they text, they are happy.

So, let's be glad there are still enough people out there interested enough in things like the January Performance Issue.

Yes, this is not a performance PlatKar forum, but some members here (Like Bugger & Quack) still have an interest.
Perhaps I was. I apologise.

But I just don't see the point in it. I can understand the M2 and the Porsche and the Supra etc. But the Jeep is just bonkers and the Alfa, well, its an Alfa.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

ADVENTURE AFRIKA Magazine Issue 1
Ford Ranger on the Cover

This was their FIRST issue obviously.

Refer to posts #169 & #170 for the back story...

Page 6 is the Welcome from Justin

Then a few pages on new vehicles; Bakkies, the new Armada Patrol, Toureg

Then some Gear & Gadgets, stuff like Spots, 12v Travel Oven (R4400), Ironmans very expensive storage boxes, etc.

The cover feature - a trip to the Kalahari in a Ranger Wildtrak

A trip to Limpopo in a Kia Sorento

Then the Tankwa Karoo - also in a Ranger, this time the Thunda, basically a pimped Wildtrak - looks like a lekker road trip.

Kingsley Holgate does 70 day 10 000km trip in the new Defender, I have not read it but I have no doubt he heaps tons of praise on it

Article on Botswana that I WILL read, looks good & I'm keen to go there.

Then an article on the Pro's & Cons of SUV's vs Bakkies - bakkies have more utility space, but it's a good comparison.

The Karoo & The Swatrtbeg Pass round off this edition.

Overall a great mag & I like that it is aimed directly at us...Very impressive for a FIRST issue...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

ADVENTURE AFRIKA Magazine Issue 2
Please refer to post # 174

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

ADVENTURE AFRIKA Magazine Issue 3
Deep Blue Prado on the Cover...

Let's get into it!

The 'editor's note' (which are usually just waffle in most magazines)is worth a read in this issue.Trust me. Read it.

They introduce you to Anton* & Mary Willemse, Simone & Justin.

New Models: G-Class, T-Roc, new non-selling Navara & the Lexus LX gets upgraded.

A nice feature: Info about what manufacturers are doing for the community: Kia gave a bakkie, Toyota & Ford also giving...

Gear & Gadgets: Engel makes a drawer fridge, so you just replace one of your drawer system drawers with this - but at nearly R14k for a 30L fridge, they can shove it.
There are a few other items - I like the Solar Panels 1105Wat triple foldable - no mention of size or weight though.

Then the first article - the Prado goes to the Abelana Game Reserve in Limpopo.
They also go through all the Prado's from the1990 J70, through the Prado 90, 120 & the current 150...

Next up is War Medic & Baby Jane's trip to Zambia that I mentioned earlier.
Seems they wrote the article, it isn't bad, but the repeated mentions of the Tsetse fly put me off thetrip.
Well worth a read.War Medic & Baby Jane run Trans Africa Tours.

Unfortunately he has a TOYOTAHOLICS sticker across his windscreen! :shock: Image

Nice article for Hobbits like SAXJ & Raymond 'my Youtube channel is more important that your YEF' Martin on the Jimny at Mapungubwe...

Then!!! Anton tests the new Defender with Kingsley Holgate at Mzanzi's Edge - a trip around the edge of SA.
Surprisingly, in 10 000km there is no mention of down time to do a software update or one being written off because mud splattered on a reverse sensor.
Impressed that they got a few of these overpriced SUV's with tiny rear apertures to do that much distance with no issues...

Then a travel article is about Baviaanskloof - I haven't read it - but the pictures look great.

For the Paptril guys (like Ant 4Gee) they review the Nissan Armada Patrol - it's nice, but it sucks juice...

An LED spot light (not Light Bars - Light bars are for people romantically involved with their mom) review.
Three options covered.

The final two travel articles, Arbeidskroon - looks like a lekker camp venue & the Long Tom Pass.

Finally, a 'buyers guide' on Dome Tents...

I really like this mag so far, but I'd love it if some of you could read it & give your opinions.

There is something for everyone, in fact, I can't think of a club member who couldn't find at least one article of interest.
Except Kurt, there is nothing in this mag for that poor London Dwelling sod.

*Anton is a member of Our Forum.

BTW: MartinDJ - Long Tom Pass will NOT count towards the 101 Cento e Um Desafios Challenge :D

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

" ... Long Tom Pass will NOT count towards the 101 Cento e Um Desafios Challenge..."

... yes, exclude minor personal escapades ...
Last edited by BushWacker on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...