Erin Bosch, Insurance

TD5 Oil Change & Sump Reccy

BushWacker

TD5 Oil Change & Sump Reccy

Post by BushWacker »

An oil change is a bit overdue on my 2001/2 TD5 Defender 130 and I have, to hand, the requisite oil and the two filters ... both standard and rotor.
I've decided to economise and downgrade from Liqui Moly to Shell Helix HX8 as, to date, I've been fuelling up on Shell 500ppmS ...Going forward may ‘green up’ on 5 or 10ppmS
perhaps supplementing on 2SO or an additive ...Image
I've decided to drop the sump for the first time now at 300000km and take a peek at things
down/up there ... mainly with a view to cleaning the pump intake-filter and de-crudding the sump cover.
I may replace the whole pump (Bearmach) if its not too expensive ... Image
... but Ive also been reading up on this anatomy and procedure a bit with a view to replacing a rather notorious oil-pump bolt that has maligned the reputation of early Defenders ImageImage
Evidently this bolt which secures the chain sprocket to the pump has a reputation for coming loose and even out .... resulting in possible damage or disaster ...

I've attached a link, below, to a Disco article on this but does anyone here have any experience and knowledge, good advice :shock: about this ?

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Oil_pump_bolt.html
Attachments
A18ACA74-5C48-4D43-917D-613342B03596.jpeg
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Erin

Post by Erin »

At 300,000kms, the bolt would have let go long ago if it was going to.

However, at that mileage, I'd replace the oil pump as a precaution, unless it can be confirmed that it's still within spec and oil pressure is still sufficient.

With the sump already off shouldn't be too much effort.

When I replaced mine I had to retap the hole for the infamous bolt (genuine Land Rover part).

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Erin wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm

However, at that mileage, I'd replace the oil pump as a precaution, unless it can be confirmed that it's still within spec and oil pressure is still sufficient.

When I replaced mine I had to retap the hole for the infamous bolt (genuine Land Rover part).

OK, thanks ... will price new pump ... 😬

Erin you said :
“... When I replaced mine I had to retap the hole for the infamous bolt (genuine Land Rover part)... “

Did you retap because thread was buggered
or retap because new bolt was different size ?
(... as it secures a turning part is it LH or RH thread ?)
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Erin

Post by Erin »

BushWacker wrote:
Erin wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:34 pm

OK, thanks ... will price new pump ... Image

Erin you said :
“... When I replaced mine I had to retap the hole for the infamous bolt (genuine Land Rover part)... “

Did you retap because thread was buggered
or retap because new bolt was different size ?
(... as it secures a turning part is it LH or RH thread ?)
IIRC it was a righty-tighty bolt. I used the original bolt as the pump didn't come with a new one. The thread on the new pump was poorly cut and the bolt just didn't fit.

Worked perfectly once tapped and was installed with plenty of Locktite (the next person to change it is going to swear a lot).

Changed mine because Walter mentioned that the oil pressure was slightly down and erratic...measured with a Madman.