Maxxis Tyres

Uniglide

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:05 pm
Ginger wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:21 pm
I have not been around but I have decided that I should post something regarding this.

Some years ago I had an R32. It smoked a little bit, when you take your foot off the accellerator, so the issue was just valve stem seals. So I went with some prolong. That was the oil to have in your car, after all, the tv said so.

It did not stop smoking immediately., but after around a week it actually did. And it only did so from oil starvation.

In my mind the car suddenly went very well... well, for about another 3000 km when 3 bigends and a main suddenly failed. Engine moer toe. When we drained oil, there was a black sludge of about 500ml that came out first, and only after that, the oil. The filter was also just one pot of sludge. In the end I had to get a new shortblock sub, because the bearings seized on the crank and started turning in the block.

I will NEVER use aditives again, unless it is specifically advised by the manufacturer, like for instance the friction modifier on the diffs of my jeep. I will for the rest of my days advise against it. Lessons learned
Let me just add something here.
The sludge was there all along. The Prolong just loosened it.
Most of these additives have have a de-sludging agent. Thus it wlll dissolve the sludge. But big chunks will come loose and clog things.

Just one thing to keep in mind, is that most of these additives just have a lot of chlorine. Works well to make things slippery, but is extremely acidic.

The Uniglide is not. We have a TBN(PH) of 7.
What’s in uniglide ?

As far as prolong goes , it was a ptfe product that blocked oil filters . Did f u c k all to loosen sludge

The cleaning / flush types are mostly paraffin and did loosen sludge that would then block your oil filter , and were also a bad idea. Removing the sump and cleaning it was a far better idea . But those never claimed to add lubrication , and indeed , to change the oil and filter not long after introducing them .

I’d love to comment on uniglide .

But without some information on its contents , no one can .

Not even their salesmen . Not those with a clear conscience anyway .
Last edited by Apocalypse on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Here are the Great Mad Manny's comments on this Thread:

1. There are some great posts here, both FOR this Additive & AGAINST it.
2. Apoc's writing style on technical matters is always enlightening.
3. This Thread was 5 & a half months old, had about 26 posts & only had a few hundred Views, when Chris said this:
Chris Stoffel wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:39 pm
Uniglide = Snake oil.
Since then we are on 107 posts & the Thread is heading to over 5000 views.
4. I must commend HenriS on how he has responded to the criticisms & attacks.
5. I have no views on the product either way, but the Thread has been interesting...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

You just broke the thread.
The woman in my life knows what I spent on my JKU.
So because of that, I know exactly how much I spent on it.

henris

Post by henris »

Ginger wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 pm
I don't think so.
What do I learn from the thread.
Pre conceived perceptions are still alive and well. Nothing new.
Unfortunately the "snake oils" that are and have been around for years, have tainted people's judgements.

So, I will just have to go to every GTG and go and face the music. See what is necessary to convince people that I am indeed not a scam artist.

PS. I have actually been down this road before with my trailer.
It was called all sorts of things. Biggest peace of scrap metal on wheels, etc.
Since then it has recovered people with big rigs, from all over SADC.

Some people just take more convincing.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Spoken like a true salesman.

Don’t let these uninformed and independent thinkers stop you from making your millions, Henris!!!

I think Mike Nel won’t mind spending a few grand on some of your products
Flex is overrated

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 am
Ginger wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 pm
I don't think so.
What do I learn from the thread.
Pre conceived perceptions are still alive and well. Nothing new.
Unfortunately the "snake oils" that are and have been around for years, have tainted people's judgements.

So, I will just have to go to every GTG and go and face the music. See what is necessary to convince people that I am indeed not a scam artist.

PS. I have actually been down this road before with my trailer.
It was called all sorts of things. Biggest peace of scrap metal on wheels, etc.
Since then it has recovered people with big rigs, from all over SADC.

Some people just take more convincing.

I am the person that said your trailer was dangerous . No need to pussyfoot around it. My opinion remains. your recovery rig, as far as I know, remains illegal, not suitable for purpose and dangerous.

There are literally thousands of illegal, dangerous taxis on South African roads never mind the badly repaired and maintained trucks buses and cars. And they will , for years, get away with it, until the day it all goes wrong and a few people are killed.

I do not mince my words in any environment and I really don't care if you think it's rude. or if you don't agree. It's a danger and s h i t like that on the road is why SA has some of the worst road accident and death statistics in the world

In Europe or America you'd never get away with driving that with a load on, and you wouldn't get away with the 'data sheet' and claims that Uniglide additives make (they may well be able to sell their lubricating spray, but not the oil additive)

And no, no one is going to convince me or millions of other reasonably intelligent people about a product whose manufacturer / seller isn't even prepared to say what it is.

but sure , you can always sell some snake oil to some people.

henris

Post by henris »

Alex on the attack and me on defense.

Not the traffic dept, nor the insurance companies think I am illegal. And that goes for the whole of SADC.

On the Uniglide, the challenge is on. I have just received the MSDS from the blenders. As it is done for presentation to laboratories for analysis.

I will publish as soon as I have the final OK from the CEO.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Alex on the attack and me on defense.

Not the traffic dept, nor the insurance companies think I am illegal. And that goes for the whole of SADC.

On the Uniglide, the challenge is on. I have just received the MSDS from the blenders. As it is done for presentation to laboratories for analysis.

I will publish as soon as I have the final OK from the CEO.

Last I saw you were running a 3 axle trailer with one axle out of the 3 equipped with a Pissy brake set . Loaded with 3 tons of overlander, with a trailer behind that and the whole lot Behind a vehicle rated to pull 1500kg .

If you’ve upgraded the troopy to accommodate a proper tow rating - excellent . Along with a service braking system that provides for it to tow more than its tare - amazing . And upgraded the trailer to brakes on all axles - exceptional .

I’d be incredibly pleased to see a thread with the details of how you got it all done , because it’s truly impressive .

I’ve also seen the waiver that you sign to collect a car for an insurance company . As long as you declare that your kit is compliant and adequate , off you go. I’ve recovered a couple of vehicles for insurance companies to the nearest accessible road that a proper flat bed can get to , and I won’t sign one. I’ll do my best at their risk . But if you are legal and safe and above board - well done . Again. Please post a thread about how you got it right .

Back to the snake oil.

Again, when the manufacturer is prepared to declare what the oil additive is made of and some proper testing , please do post it here .

In the interim, it’s snake oil, and while I’m a great believer in caveat emptor , my ambition is to inform the consumer . And as they say , there is a sucker born every minute. That’s your target market .

My question remains

What is it?

henris

Post by henris »

Alex, you are getting out of line here. This thread is about the Uniglide. Not the trailer.
And on the snake oil.
Look and learn.
LC Troopie 1HDFTE
SADC Assist
08two49five9252

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

henris wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:26 pm
Alex, you are getting out of line here. This thread is about the Uniglide. Not the trailer.
And on the snake oil.
Look and learn.

You brought up the trailer story my friend .

I very much doubt it’s any more legal or safe than it was .

But ja, like a taxi driver you get away with it .

Let’s stick to uniglide on this one though , we can talk about trailers and ethics on another thread .

What did you say the product is? I see your data sheet saying what it’s not .

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

Algea -X - Marine Fuel Polishing, Filtration & Maintenance Solutions. They have a canister that rejunivates fuel. It is put in the diesel line to the engine. A guy I know built boats, mostly for the Nigerian Oil Industry. They spec this fuel thing in all their boats. So they cut one cylinder open to see what is inside. It was empty. No magic inside. But every boat the Nigerians want must have one in the fuel line.

The spec sheet for Uniglide will also show no magic ingredient. It is a placebo. Makes you feel good.
Attachments
Boot 1.PNG
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.unilad ... ected/amp/

This has nothing to do with uniglide

And yet, everything.

It shows that bullshit does in fact, still baffle brains.
The woman in my life knows what I spent on my JKU.
So because of that, I know exactly how much I spent on it.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Any sign of the MSDS yet?
Flex is overrated

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

KurtG wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:35 pm
There won’t be one . There never is for snake oil.

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

[quote=Apocalypse post_id=28071 time=161994495withw
[/quote]

There won’t be one . There never is for snake oil.
[/quote]

There are many short tests, lasting an hour or so. But never any long term tests. All done on lawnmower engines. Demonstrating the lubricating capacity of the lubricant with the 'Timken' test say or prove nothing regarding the friction in an engine over it's lifespan. What happens at the big end and small end bearings on the conrod?
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry: