4x4 Action Group

Automatic transmission oil.

Samaya

Automatic transmission oil.

Post by Samaya »

I have been having problems with the Grand Vitara's gearbox. Not often but enough to be worrying.

The problem only starts when we drive long trips. The gearbox would gear down, revs will climb to accelerate, then go back to the previous gear and the car would go slower - this happens repeatingly until I leave the accelerator pedal and the rpms drop. This starts to happen at higher revs 5000+ rpm but gets gradually worse where I cannot rev higher than 3000rpm.

The last time it happened, I was overtaking a vehicle and the GV geared down it started doing the hiccuping thing.

I did a oil change but I suspect I need to flush all the oil and replace the oil strainer.

Any other ideas why this could be happening?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

Is the fluid level correct? Underfilled fluid can cause the pump to suck air, resulting in bubbles that can cause temporary pressure loss in the system and slippage. A blocked filter/strainer can have the same effect. Overfilled fluid can be churned by the gear sets, resulting in foaming, with the same result.

Overheated fluid can also be the cause.
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I checked the level when I added the oil. And the cold level was good. But the over heating oil sounds like it could be the issue as it happened after a while and got worse. I think a flush with strainer cleaning or replacement is the best coarse of action.

Dankie Thys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

It is always better to check fluid level at normal operating temperature. Standard procedure is to let the motor idle and move the selector through the gate from Park to 1st/L and back to Park, pausing in each position for a few seconds. Then check the level with the engine still running. Overfilling can cause the same issues as underfilling.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted: