4x4 Action Group

Actual Crawl ratios from tyre height and vehicle speed

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Apocalypse wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:20 pm
Winces.

so you have to cut the intermediary shafts in half and weld them up into a frankentranny? Eish.

it's also worth mentioning that when High Range is an under drive (as in this case and , e.g. a Defender) the ACTUAL reduction multiplier available through the transfer case is Low Range Divided by High range:

viz 4.16/1,57 - so an actual reduction of 2,65 .

i.e. for any given rpm in any given gear in high range, you will divide the speed by 2,65 when you engage low range - not 4,16
Yip it is a big wince..... :x

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

A little update for on this thread. I got my old Sani off the jack stands a few days ago, and of course, the first thing I had to check while I was confined to driving around in my own back yard, was my crawl speed test. I have seen the speeds and ratios on paper, but it was the first time to actually see it in action. Feels weird to get the car going at idle, get out of it, get the camera out and started up, and take some video with it only a few meters from where you had dropped the clutch.
I have posted it here on another thread, but here is the YT link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCof0PmhMQ
I can't wait to get the rest of the things sorted out to get it 4x4 again. Flex test looked OK, but I also saw a massive difference with the one wheel in the air, compared to a straight cross axle test. It kinda boggles my mind how much different the results were on the two tests. Anyhow, that's for another thread, juts thought I'd share my crawl speed test with you guys.
David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases