Erin Bosch, Insurance

Tip over Point/Angle

Shane

Tip over Point/Angle

Post by Shane »

I'm trying to figure out at what angle my vehicle would tip over (sideways).

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/car-mass-center

How accurate is this?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Too many variables. Especially with the terrain & what speed you’re at. What I do know for sure is that it’s roll over angle is far greater than we think.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... I think the vehicles specs reasonably reflect standard vehicles measured limits uder controlled tests
... then it modified by your added accessories and load etc be they roof racks, tents etc and whether loads are secured or slide at extreme angles etc
... and further modified by vehicles trail/terrain predicament & attitude ... typically one would think that two wheels defie pivoting points ahead of tipping though speed and momentum etc will further change the dynamics.
... one would have to make a few simplifying assumptions but ...
... ultimately resolveable to force vectors ...
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Hunter4x2 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 am
As mentioned in posts, too many variables. What I would do is pack vehicle as if going on holiday, then Jack one side up till vehicle slowly wants to lift off Jack( just 7se ropes to prevent it rolling over, mark that angle and gently put vehicle back on ground. Sounds crude but then imho you would get a true roll over angle for that load at that time.

I remember watching some time back that at one of the 4x4 training schools they had a vehicle thingymajig that you drove your vehicle onto this equipment, it would then tip your vehicle until your one side of the vehicle wheels started to lift. They then measured this tip over angle.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
And this is why no manufacturer wants you to buy a 4x4 - because of silly shit like above. Hell, you should be blacklisted on all insurance schemes for that :D
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

This is my simple method.
Not 100% correct but gives a reasonable indication
Side slope.jpg
When the COM dot crosses the vertical black line you are going over

Shane

Post by Shane »

Wooky wrote:This is my simple method.
Side slope.jpg
How do you calculate COM?

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

It's not really calculated and hence not 100% accurate.
Basically the two red dashed lines drawn corner to corner in my photo.
As cars are somewhat "box" like laterally, where the two lines cross is approximately where the COM will be.

It just gives an idea on how well calibrated your "pucker factor" is on side slopes :lol:

Shane

Post by Shane »

Wooky wrote:It's not really calculated and hence not 100% accurate.
Basically the two red dashed lines drawn corner to corner in my photo.
As cars are somewhat "box" like laterally, where the two lines cross is approximately where the COM will be.

It just gives an idea on how well calibrated your "pucker factor" is on side slopes Image
My "pucker factor" is the real issue here!

Any excercises one can do to improve the "O-ring" strength? Image

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Side slopes will never be a comfortable place for me :shock:

Saxj

Post by Saxj »

Wooky wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 am
This is my simple method.

Side slope.jpg

That was quite a moment. That's as close to tipping over as I've come since I tipped that very same vehicle on it's side about 25 years ago.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Tip over angle is easy. just move the centre of gravity over either outside tyre edge.

it's not bad, it calculates the centroid of mass at a particular angle but it fails to take into account suspension compression - especially on long travel / low spring rate vehicles, and more so on high COG heavy vehicles. eg 4x4, especially lifted 'overlanders' with all the heavy kak and 140l of jerry cans on the roof.

As the actual slope angle increases , your body roll increases at a greater rate as the low side springs compress, which shifts the COG over the tip point sooner than this simple calculation will estimate.

to be very contrary to the above opinions, there are not enough variables. without spring rates and compression information, this lacks the detail to be really useful...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Shane

Post by Shane »

Apocalypse wrote:Tip over angle is easy. just move the centre of gravity over either outside tyre edge.

it's not bad, it calculates the centroid of mass at a particular angle but it fails to take into account suspension compression - especially on long travel / low spring rate vehicles, and more so on high COG heavy vehicles. eg 4x4, especially lifted 'overlanders' with all the heavy kak and 140l of jerry cans on the roof.

As the actual slope angle increases , your body roll increases at a greater rate as the low side springs compress, which shifts the COG over the tip point sooner than this simple calculation will estimate.

to be very contrary to the above opinions, there are not enough variables. without spring rates and compression information, this lacks the detail to be really useful...
In other words lift it up until it nearly falls over...?

Not the best idea but an easy solution.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Shane wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:07 pm
Apocalypse wrote:Tip over angle is easy. just move the centre of gravity over either outside tyre edge.

In other words lift it up until it nearly falls over...?

Not the best idea but an easy solution.

that's fine, but you can't jack it up on the chassis - you need to lift the one side on it's suspension - because the high side springs unload as the centroid shifts to the low side. and then you still haven't worked in dynamic loads, like a bump/bouncee or braking or accelerating.

You can feel when a vehicle is reaching it's tipping point. small movements of your own body mass make for big movements in the body's posture at the tipping point. it 'feels' light.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Shane

Post by Shane »

What I had in mind. With a few good stabilisers to prevent it from toppling over!

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

... unsprung mass , so often a criticised aspect in vehicle specs, probably a benefical stabilising component in tip-over logic...

... also, at the penultimate stage, the cars full rolling mass would increasingly load the sidewalls of the two pivoting tyres ...
... tubeless tyres would be prone to collapse and provide a final limit-breaker to tip-over ?
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...