The House Doctor

Multi-drive Tru Tracker installation

rudi.hinze

Multi-drive Tru Tracker installation

Post by rudi.hinze »

I got my grubby paws on a Tru Tracker kit from Multi-drive in Oz -

Excuse the poor photo. A better stock photo of the kit-

As "luck" would have it, a client was looking for this kit instead of the regular spacers fitted locally and he managed to convince me to let him have it. We will be fitting this kit to the client's 79 series Cruiser from tomorrow onwards (this will not be a rush job).

I will try to document the installation process and post it here for anyone who has looked at this kit.

This kit's maker also has a "big brother" which comes in the form of a full replacement rear axle housing, not only the shafts and spindles

And then, of course, there is the Godfather link and coils/coilovers kit.

Sent from my BV6800Pro using Tapatalk

Shane

Post by Shane »

Rudi please help the uninformed.

What is it and why do you fit it?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Shane, the track on a 70 series Cruiser is narrower at the back than on the front axle.
Guys fit thick spacers which is just not ideal.
In Oz spacers thicker than 25mm (I think) are illegal.
To get the front rear track the same you need about a 45mm spacer on each wheel on the 70 series.

This Tru track basically fixes Toyota's crap design...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Shane

Post by Shane »

Mad Manny wrote:Shane, the track on a 70 series Cruiser is narrower at the back than on the front axle.
In Oz spacer thicker than 25mm (I think) are illegal.
To get the front rear track the same you need about a 45mm spacer on each wheel on the 70 series.

This Tru track basically fixes Toyota crap design...
Thanks Manny.

rudi.hinze

Post by rudi.hinze »

Thanks Manny. I think it is more a lazy approach by Toyota than a quality issue, but something one nonetheless can rectify.

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Shane, check here. This guy is one of Manny’s all time favourites: https://youtu.be/uS6SFQmkfoE
Flex is overrated

Nico-MAD

Post by Nico-MAD »

KurtG wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:52 am
Shane, check here. This guy is one of Manny’s all time favourites: https://youtu.be/uS6SFQmkfoE
I'm with Manny on this one. If it was anyone else I would have watched. Still to early in the morning to puke. :o

Shane

Post by Shane »

KurtG wrote:Shane, check here. This guy is one of Manny’s all time favourites: https://youtu.be/uS6SFQmkfoE
ImageImageImage

I must confess, when I bought my first 4x4 , 6 years ago, I stumbled across his clips and actually watched quite a few!

He's not that bad.... Image , if you grind on your teeth a little.

rudi.hinze

Post by rudi.hinze »

Ok, a bit of an update. Client only came in after lunch or so and at time the Cruiser ointment (ok, and one new Jimny juice) seemed to have been smeared over the place since we had something like 5 Cruisers at one time. Not that we are complaining but we only managed about 1.5 hours on the Cruiser.

Since we have an entire week to do this and given the consequences of any errors we decided to take it slowly, following the instructions to the letter.

Pulling the wheels, calipers and rotors is nothing strange so after that was done, we focussed on one side by loosening the nuts holding the side shaft.

With a bit of help using the kit's provided shaped punch, two M8 bolts, a light bit of swearing and some experience getting Toyota taper washers/cups loose, the shaft gave up and came off of the dowels -

ImageImage

Now came the time, using the supplied template, to notch the housing for the ABS sensor so it can fit in the new casting -

The kit even includes nifty plugs you place into the spindle which seal the insides from metal shavings which can be seen inside the spindle in the above photo.

Now came the point of no return, using the supplied spacer, to cut the spindle. It is a hefty 8mm or so thick at this end and the cut needs to be as square as possible, so this took some time.

And then the cut was made -

Before taking the photo I took out the plug to see if it really sealed the inners well. Glad to report the Aussies sent a good plug and the inners remained clean. Plug refitted some filing and deburring occurred.

Now for the big moment. Test fitting the spindle casing over the freshly cut spindle -

ImageImage

Success, she fits snugly but with no force needed to fit.

Not wanting to tempt fate, this is where we left off for today.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

:lol:
Mad Manny wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 pm
Shane, the track on a 70 series Cruiser is narrower at the back than on the front axle.
In Oz spacers thicker than 25mm (I think) are illegal.

This Tru track basically fixes Toyota's crap design...
... even as a young lad... building my first soap box ‘go- carts’ I understood the ideal of having rear axle wheels same distance apart as front ...
but I guess that logic lands with others ... :lol:
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

rudi.hinze

Post by rudi.hinze »

Today we got cracking on the kit again. Last we left off where the hub was dry test fitted. With this test a good one, we proceeded to thoroughly clean and sand (where applicable) the sealing surfaces.

The MDS kit comes with 3 Locktite branded sealers/fastening compounds and alcohol wipes, each which is to be placed at specified places. My staff and I joked that the Aussies forgot to send rags to wipe as well.

With two compounds smeared liberally, the flange was bolted down and torqued in a 3 stage sequence -

ImageImage

The backing plate was next, together with the ABS sensor placed through its newly formed hole -

Bearings were repacked, the included seals (hub and sideshaft) were installed and the wheel hub was attached again. The Aussies even sent along Italian made grease for all greasing purposes -

With the hub nut tightened to spec, the new longer side shaft was cleaned, sealer applied to the mating surfaces and then the drive was re-established -

From the back and above, the new paint is all that really gives a clue as to the work done -

ImageImage

The powerbrakes and calipers were refitted and the final hoses and cables were attached -

ImageImage

This was one side done over some 6 hours, taking it very slow. The other side was done in some 2.5 hours.

While very hard to capture in a picture, this is the final placement of the 285's on OEM rims after the kit was fitted -

ImageImage

Thank you for the interest shown!

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Last edited by Reenen on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudi.hinze

Post by rudi.hinze »

Reenen wrote:Well done.

Een vragie: sou die halfshafts snap, is dit n issue om replacements te kry (tydsgewys), of is die langer shafts vrylik beskikbaar en in stock in SA?
Dankie mnr!

Goeie praktiese vraag. Nee, die goed moet mens in vlieg. Ek weet nie van ander Cruisers hier met die kit op nie. Net met die vol as vervanging.

Met dit genoem, dit is full floating aste en reeds upgraded side shafts, so breek is nie juis iets wat gebeur nie. As dit moet en omdat hy locker het kan mens gebreekte shaft trek en of in 1 wheel drive of front wheel drive ry.

grips

Post by grips »

Nice one Rudi I think it is the way to go. Please keep us posted with all these Aussie mods.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

rudi.hinze

Post by rudi.hinze »

grips wrote:Nice one Rudi I think it is the way to go. Please keep us posted with all these Aussie mods.
Thanks oom Grips! However, I think there is merit in your and my proposed solution also.