4x4 Action Group

Suspension Design - pros/cons and customisation

Reenen

Post by Reenen »

Last edited by Reenen on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

Eish, en ons het die hele safari gehad om net body swop te gedoen het. Volgende ding wat ek na sal kyk is die sump. Sommer sy punt af sny of vir hom bietjie tummy tuck gee. Maar ek wil ook nie teveel mors met sy kapasiteit nie. Glo ek sal die boggel op drywer kant swop met linker kant. Weet net nie of ek dipstick sal verby turbo kan kry nie.

Vir nou is dit net die TC carrier klaar maak en dit gehang kry in plek. Behoort weer volgende naweek so bietjie op dit te kan werk. Ons moes ons winkel skuif, en besig met setup daarvan die naweek, want ek verloor 3 dae volgende week met Fireball demo's wat ek moet gaan doen in Joburg by fabrieke.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

david bfreesani wrote:
XJ Junkie wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 am
Like I said, that is a death trap & cant be done for less than R15k. It shouldn’t be on the road.
I don't get your comment.

So I would like to hear YOUR suggestions as to how to fix this "death trap". You keep criticizing, but don't help with anything constructive besides drive it off a cliff. We are not all in your position to just go out and buy new toys.
This shouldn’t be terribly difficult to understand. As it stands you you honestly believe it’ll pass a roadworthy year? I’d be surprised if it did, because it’s a mess.

Make it stock or get rid of it, preferably by destroying it, so that others won’t suffer.

Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

david bfreesani

Well it has not been through a roadworthy, but, like I said before, has been used in a few operations involving the CPF, Police and Traffic Department, and once went barreling through a field with the Traffic Chief of Parys as a passenger. First time I hit it that hard on that type of terrain, and only with rear wheel drive, maintained ample momentum to get through the muddy grass. Besides smacking the bump stops once or thrice, all went well and we actually apprehended the cable thieves. Point is my passenger was impressed, and had a good look whats going on under the Sani, and had no complaints. Only other complaints that traffic departments have raised in roadblocks and stops in Joburg, is that its very high and commented om the headlights being too high. Law is 1.4 meters to center of headlight, the Sani is 1.1 meters. Still legal. We don't have restrictions enforced that have a problem with the wheels protruding 50mm past the body line.

Brackets welding is all minimum 2 beads up to 5 stringers. All brackets minimum 5mm flat bar, up to 10mm thick. Recovery points 16mm flat bar. Shackle mounts front is nearly 20mm wall thickness tube. Rear is the original Nissan mounts. 130mm spring drop boxes are 6mm plate welded to chassis with more than a 50% overlap of the chassis rail over a distance of 300mm per side, as well as the two bottom mating surfaces welded. Two sections on the rear where we mounted shocks has the standard crossmember lined with 4mm plate for added strength with 6mm shock brackets with rear gussets. That is after the standard 12mm shock mount bolts had sheared off more than once and I could not fix it. So I went with a two sided bracket and 20mm bolt for shock mounts instead of the Nissan 12mm bolts welded directly to the chassis.

Struggling to see how any of this is substandard, weak or dangerous.

David vd Merwe

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

I've said it before, David - Neil does not understand the fact that some of us enjoy finding solutions for problems and fixing/designing things.

He takes his problems to somebody else to fix and then accepts it was done properly because he pays for it - even if it was done by an underpaid handlanger that does not have any interest in the job or a clue why he is doing what he does.

Don't let him get under your skin
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

david bfreesani

Well that was the last post from me defending myself, my work, and the Sani. If you have some constructive criticism, I'll look into it, and how it could fit into my plans and my budget.

Most guys don't get my obsession with a second TC because of my gearing problems I know I am going to have. I've always preferred the very slow approach off road. Nearly rock crawler type speeds is what I am looking for. When we went to 31s I already noticed the speed increase. I know on 35s things are going to go too fast.

Anyhow, I spent an hour doing some welding on my TC carrier yesterday late. Very slow process as I need to keep the work cold enough so that it does not warp. I've learned that working very slow is still faster than warping a piece, and finding out days later that it no longer fits. I also test fit after every few welds. In this case, its testing the TC to the carrier, and then testing the carrier under the car.

Doubt any work will happen today as I'm spending some time with Grandkids.

David vd Merwe

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

ThysleRoux wrote:I've said it before, David - Neil does not understand the fact that some of us enjoy finding solutions for problems and fixing/designing things.

He takes his problems to somebody else to fix and then accepts it was done properly because he pays for it - even if it was done by an underpaid handlanger that does not have any interest in the job or a clue why he is doing what he does.
Well at least I pay my own way. Unlike some.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

XJ Junkie wrote:
ThysleRoux wrote:I've said it before, David - Neil does not understand the fact that some of us enjoy finding solutions for problems and fixing/designing things.

Well at least I pay my own way. Unlike some.
Here we go again.......Image

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Is Neil spreading his own brand of peace and harmony again...?
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

david bfreesani

Mad Manny wrote:Is Neil spreading his own brand of peace and harmony again...?
Well it's brown, but don't taste like chocolate.
David vd Merwe

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Just found this Youtube clip regarding leafsprings and shackle angles, might be useful to someone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhqZkF2D6ss

grips

Post by grips »

I watched a TV series over the weekend cannot recall the name now. Think they start with 4 to 5 four by fours ending up with one winner in each episode. There is a track with poles planted about 500mm high which they must complete. Must say it is a real test for suspensions.
Quite an eye opener. Long arm suspensions get bended, coils spit out and coilovers bend moertoe. I always thought four link suspensions were the Holy Grail for 4x4`s. Guy with a plain simple leaf suspension won the first round.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Name of the series Grips.... when you remember it
Sounds interesting, would like to watch it

grips

Post by grips »

Monster Motor Challenge
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

Thanks... will have a look for it