The House Doctor

Bundu Repairs

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Popeye ate spinach, Sinbad had a genie..

SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Jan Slabber

Post by Jan Slabber »

Op my 1ste toer in Angola 2004 met Ford F150 ( 351 Cleveland ) word ons deur die rotse ( dieselfde rotse wat Voetspore ook gestop het ) in die Doodsakker gekeer , daar was nie omdraai kans nie en ek en die toergids ( Land Cruiser ) is die see in om om die rotsbank te gaan draai .
Die Ford wou net net begin flout toe ek omdraai terug strand toe . Oppad uit was ek bietjie haastig en stamp die agter as hard teen rots .
Op daardie staduim nie eindelik skade waargeneem nie maar na ons weer vir ń paar km op die strand gery het het die banjo en sideshaft middedeur gebreek . Ek het met net voorwiel trek die Ford tot teen die duin getrek .
Die gids wou hě ons moet ons noodsaaklike goed by hom laai en saam uit die Doodsakker en die Ford daar los . Daar was geen manier ek los die Ford daar nie en gesě hy moet ń welding plant en welding rods gaan haal , ek sal die banjo las en dan die Ford op voorwieltrek uitry .
Gids los ons vir 2 nagte voor hy terug is . Ek weld die banjo en ry die Ford uit tot by Flamingo .
Ek en Marie moes dag en nag wal gooi om te keer die see vat nie die Ford nie .

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Jislaaik
Flex is overrated

Mal Hannes

Post by Mal Hannes »

Ja nee Jislaak is die regte woord.

Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Apologies if I don’t understand my Afrikaans isn’t very good, but how do you weld a banjo? Isn’t it made of wood? And why did it stop you from driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

Post by Bazza »

Ok so I googled what a banjo is still a hectic trip I hope I never have to weld a banjo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grips

Post by grips »

Jan Slabber wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Op my 1ste toer in Angola 2004 met Ford F150 ( 351 Cleveland ) word ons deur die rotse ( dieselfde rotse wat Voetspore ook gestop het ) in die Doodsakker gekeer , daar was nie omdraai kans nie en ek en die toergids ( Land Cruiser ) is die see in om om die rotsbank te gaan draai .
Die Ford wou net net begin flout toe ek omdraai terug strand toe . Oppad uit was ek bietjie haastig en stamp die agter as hard teen rots .
Op daardie staduim nie eindelik skade waargeneem nie maar na ons weer vir ń paar km op die strand gery het het die banjo en sideshaft middedeur gebreek . Ek het met net voorwiel trek die Ford tot teen die duin getrek .
Die gids wou hě ons moet ons noodsaaklike goed by hom laai en saam uit die Doodsakker en die Ford daar los . Daar was geen manier ek los die Ford daar nie en gesě hy moet ń welding plant en welding rods gaan haal , ek sal die banjo las en dan die Ford op voorwieltrek uitry .
Gids los ons vir 2 nagte voor hy terug is . Ek weld die banjo en ry die Ford uit tot by Flamingo .
Ek en Marie moes dag en nag wal gooi om te keer die see vat nie die Ford nie .
Jan ek dink jy moet die res van die storie ook vertel. Hierdie verhaal was een van die redes hoekom ek my F250 soektog laat vaar het.
Na `n paar jaar met die Yank Ranger dink ek Amerikaanse diff`s is overrated.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Flipside

Post by Flipside »

grips wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:33 am
Hedgehog wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:17 am
grips wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:29 am
Did a Namib trip in 2011 with the now famous Simon Wearne from Voetspore. He told me a story of a guy that ruined a prop shaft deep in the desert on one of his trips. They found that the cattle rails of one of the 4x4`s in the group had the same size as the ruined prop shaft. They cut a length of tubing from the rails.

Replaced the shaft tubing with that from the cattle rails. Welded the shaft with batteries and welding rods. Owner completed the last 300km with this make shift prop shaft.
I would have called Simon out on this one... I doubt you would get very far without it either destroying itself being unbalanced or destroying something else due to vibration
If I can remember correctly the cattle rail tube was a tight fit over the usable parts of the OEM prop shaft tubing. They used a highlift jack chassis to line up for welding.

Anthony Forgey and Jaco Jeep repaired a prop shaft this way on the August River Trip. They completed the trip and drive home. There were some pics of this repair on some groups. Maybe we should ask them to post them here.
Grips's story is true, here are the pics.
River 5.JPG
(for some reason the other pics refuse to load :( )

And a few weeks later on the Ultimate Off Road trip, DVR's TJ broke a yoke on the universal of his Driveshaft when he attempted a tough climb.
the offending bits were welded up and reinforced and he completed the trip without any issues.
DBerg 1.JPG
Last edited by Flipside on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip

Member: 4x4 AG & Suzuki4x4GP, ORRA AG24
Awesome: Suzuki Jimny; :twisted:
SilverTank: Mitsubishi Pajero; :P

Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Flipside wrote:
grips wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:33 am
Hedgehog wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:17 am

I would have called Simon out on this one... I doubt you would get very far without it either destroying itself being unbalanced or destroying something else due to vibration
If I can remember correctly the cattle rail tube was a tight fit over the usable parts of the OEM prop shaft tubing. They used a highlift jack chassis to line up for welding.

Anthony Forgey and Jaco Jeep repaired a prop shaft this way on the August River Trip. They completed the trip and drive home. There were some pics of this repair on some groups. Maybe we should ask them to post them here.
Grips's story is true, here are the pics.
River 5.JPG
(for some reason the other pics refuse to load :( )

And a few weeks later on the Ultimate Off Road trip, DVR's TJ broke a yoke on the universal of his Driveshaft when he attempted a tough climb.
the offending bits were welded up and reinforced and he completed the trip without any issues.
DBerg 1.JPG

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

SSII enabled tool
Sempiternis et fortes

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Baboons pass my Beach buggy Steering Box pitmanarm splines Stripped when I hit a rock
Pulled out welding rods Jumper cables 2 batteries and welded the 2 together
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

Gee S

Post by Gee S »

On a bike trip in Lesotho a guy in the group holed the engine casing of his GS 1200. We cleaned the hole with petrol and then sealed it with Pratley Steel. He rode the bike like that for more than six months while waiting for a new engine casing.

grips

Post by grips »

I always take Pratley Steel along. Not a Bundu repair. We once repaired a BMW radiator after it hit a Duiker. After hours and could not source a rad.
The gent needed to be in PE the next morning. Grinded a v into the cracks and filled it with Pratley Steel. He made a safe trip to PE.
Reading the thread on 4x4Com about the Patrol on Baboons with a busted radiator I could not help wondering if it were not fixable with Pratley Steel.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Bugger

Post by Bugger »

Grips I had the same thought as you just try anything
The slightest chance of getting mobile is worth the Effort
Syncro Cox Camper
SJ 410 TarzanTiny
Millennium Beetle VR6 T Liberty
And a few VW Air cooled Toys

icemanza

Post by icemanza »

Had to use a stocking once to replace a fan belt - granted it was then 50km to the mechy to fix it further but the owner was very grateful even if his daughter wasn't.
ICEMANZA (Richard)
SWAMBO (Angela)
4x4Action Group - 0320
ORRA Club Call Sign - AG30

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

As a boy ... recall my old man carrying
a selection of fuse-wires ( of different thicknesses/ratings) as versatile stand-ins
after there had been some electrical hassle
on his FordPopular or Zephyr or whatever !

Ive also been told you can use 1 or more
strands from multistrand electrical wire
to approximate a make-do fuse.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...