Erin Bosch, Insurance

Duster shock replacement

XJ Junkie

Duster shock replacement

Post by XJ Junkie »

I’ve always been of the belief that the GEN1 Dusters had a bad batch of shocks. The later Dusters felt much better.

The OEM ones are KYB shocks. When I first got it I was very impressed by the handling but it quickly degraded. Notably, there were many complaints from Duster owners on the old Forum about diminished shocks that had worn out quickly.

I’ve been around the block with shock absorbers because of all my 4x4’ing, so I don’t need a machine to tell me whether the shocks are Fubar or not.

My first set of front shocks were replaced under warranty by the dealer at its first service, without any fuss- 15kkm. The rears were still ok, but marginal.

I semi-pursued the rear shock issue with the dealer during the next couple of services, but wasn’t fanatical about it. They would have replaced had I made more of a noise about it, but I never did.
Plus, I wasn’t particularly keen on fitting yet another set of KYB shocks.

The thing with shocks is that very few owners realize how badly their shocks have deteriorated. This is because they wear out progressively, so people don’t notice & become accustomed to how their vehicles handle & ride.

So at 120kkm I decided to do my own thing & had a set of Monroe’s fitted instead. The results are very impressive. It’s like a new car. There’s no nose-dive under breaking, no wobble after departing big speed bumps & mostly notably, no body roll in corners. The later is something I’ve often read mentioned in Duster road test articles.

Note the oil deposit on the shaft. It’s sweating like a TDV6 owner that bought one out of warranty:

Last edited by XJ Junkie on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Price?

Were there any other alternatives?

Couple of years back when I was in Romania the dusters were very popular as a full off road vehicle and aftermarket shocks and springs were a common sight!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Price was R3360 all in, including Labour.
They also did tyre rebalancing, rotating, wheel alignment, plus fixed a puncture. But didn’t charge me for those things. But I’m a good customer there so I get looked after.

There are a few alternatives but I’d probably have to wait for stock. Like Bilstein or Koni.

But I won’t lift a Duster because it’s retarded to do so.

Mike Nel

Post by Mike Nel »

Would love to see your comments again after 15k km’s, just as a comparison to old ones
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

NEW

Post by NEW »

Is the Duster now out of warranty? Is it true that Renault would void one's warranty if you fitted something like the monroe's in the warranty period?

Asking because I noticed that another owner was distraught because his shocks gave in at 15k km and he wanted to fit other than oem shocks, but Renault refused saying that he needs to fit the Renault shocks for something like R15k (else they void his warranty) instead of widely accepted better shocks like the monroe's for R3.5K.

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

Renault should not need a warranty.

The way some people push the brand they must be reliable

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could this be sarcasm?

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

NEW wrote:Is the Duster now out of warranty? Is it true that Renault would void one's warranty if you fitted something like the monroe's in the warranty period?
I’ve still got 30kkm left on the warranty. The Monroe’s are to OEM spec but Renault could get funny about it. But I’m not too bothered. I also put different discs & pads in previously.

The Renault shocks aren’t R15k though. They are much cheaper than that.

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Oppies3800 wrote:Renault should not need a warranty.

Some people know what they are talking about, whilst others having to ask if their vehicle will overheat if their fan doesn’t function.

Oppies3800

Post by Oppies3800 »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:21 pm
Oppies3800 wrote:Renault should not need a warranty.

Some people know what they are talking about, whilst others having to ask if their vehicle will overheat if their fan doesn’t function.
I would like to meet this "some people" you are referring to some day :D :lol:
Could this be sarcasm?