Maxxis Tyres

Bush mechanics course, a review

PsyPhin

Bush mechanics course, a review

Post by PsyPhin »

I recently did 2x bush mechanic courses. I really only wanted to do one but I paid for one, then the other seemed more applicable, so ended up doing both.
They luckily didn’t really overlap too much apart from tyres. So a bit of a summary for both of them. Both had around 25 attendees (I got to say hello to Chas at one :mrgreen: )

1. Angelgroup day hosted by Engel. R700
2. Four wheel drive club SA. R600 as a non club member

First the day with Engels course
This turned out to be more of a workshop but we were warned to bring PPE, hand lotion for us office beauties, and some old clothing.
It was well catered for with drinks, snacks, even some braai meat for anyone who forgot to bring.

The focus was a lot on tyres as we were told, tyres will be our biggest letdown in the field. There were a few hi lifts which after a bit of demo, we got to play with.
We practically broke beads, tried numerous patches, plugs, glues, tubes, a whole bunch of items to play with. There was a table full of things to test. Even stitching a sidewall. Yes, my stock jack can debead a tyre and I can remove it from the rim with my car tools and 1 hour of effort.
I liked the lessons on the valve tools, and we were even given a valve tool and some spare valves for one day.

There was also welding, some info on radiator fixes, rubber tube problems, all with a practical demo. “is this possible, is that possible, lets try it” kind of attitude which I liked. A lot of other smaller bits like tool show and tell. He welded with 12V starter batteries while not probable, was cool to see.
The theory parts which lasted about 3 hours was presented on a white board, it was more of an overview on parts with some electrical knowledge given.

Many theories and myths I knew about, were tried and tested, and we were given the space to try all this and ask questions before we need to try it in the bush. The content was up to date with the latest repair ideas, batteries, DIY products.
I had to bug out at 3pm though while the course was still running.

The four wheel drive club South Africa Course.
This was mostly sit down, theory, but hordes of info. Tea and coffee with a cash bar available.
Most of the engines critical components were run through. Things like how to troubleshoot a faulty starter, what are the symptoms of a brake leak, and then some breakdown scenarios split up to some made up teams. Broken coil/leaf spring, total tyre loss etc.

It was presented via a power point, the course had a general feel that it was a repeated course that happens once a year kind of deal. We were also sent a breakdown of the course after the day as a summary to help for the future.
The presenter you could tell had decades of knowledge on the subject and could answer any question. There wasn't much on the newer age of products, only the old tried and true stuff.

Lots of trip examples with what was done to get going again and how convoys are prepped for travel into the unknown.

I learnt a ton about electrical especially, simple things like tying a wire without breaking was a nice touch. Also a table full of basically every tool that you would come across in someone's vehicle with an explanation attached.
I again had to bug out at 3pm from the course.

I liked that both had the same answers to many myths and questions such as additives, recovery safety, engine safety, tyre pressures and such.
If I had to recommend one, I couldn’t say as I am a novice with bush repair and both courses really added a lot of value to me and did not overlap.

Gun to my head, Angelgroup had the practical experience I would want in the bush which is what its all about, right?
Last edited by PsyPhin on Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Douw

Post by Douw »

Like it

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Thanks for the good report on both events 👍🏻
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Thanks for the reviews Kevin & thanks for attending both events....
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

NINJA

Post by NINJA »

It actually sounds interesting
2008 JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON - NINJA

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

It's very important to attend these courses from time to time, even if you drive a Toyota....

4x4AG hosted one few years back.
It was very good.
Maybe we must arrange another...

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

That would be nice. Would gladly attend such an event.
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

Very nice write-up Kevin
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

This stuff bleeds out into normal life. I know tools exist, but knowing and feeling what does what is much better.

Due to the courses, I have got finally myself a grinder which I have used for various things already including making my k@k welds a bit more appealing.
Also got a pipe wrench, to take off that stripped hot water valve in the bathroom and replace it (it has been 2 years with various attempts). I thought my vice grip was the bees nees but that couldnt do the job.
I have reworked my car onboard tool kit, tyre repair kit, fixed my sons 12v drivable car which had a wiring issue.
As a laptop jockey it is quite satisfying to be able to do some decent DIY. All because I was just shown what is out there and a basic principle of how they work.

jotto

Post by jotto »

"Due to the courses, I have got finally myself a grinder which I have used for various things already including making my k@k welds a bit more appealing."

I will gladly set up a day to show anybody interested in learning to weld a bit better - we can do stick/arc, MiG and TiG (Alu and Stanless) - even a bit of plasma cutting and what not. Maybe a small group event....
Jotto
Kammatech.co.za

Woolf

Post by Woolf »

Yes please

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

What topics would you guys like covered?

It'll be more of a 4x4 DIY course than Bush Mechanics.
We can do metal work.
Tyre's
12v systems
Etc.

Just let me know and we'll set it up.

Location will be Pretoria/Centurion

PsyPhin

Post by PsyPhin »

I'll be happy to share some stuff of what I learnt. I am not on the level of the presenters by a long shot but I have my own niche