4x4 Action Group

Disco 2 Bonnet Gas Strut Modification.

Paul#25

Disco 2 Bonnet Gas Strut Modification.

Post by Paul#25 »

I have seen on the UK Landy websites that there are kits for sale to modify the Disco 2 to have gas struts to hold the bonnet open instead of the standard stay.
Has anyone done this mod locally as importing a kit from the UK will be crazy expensive. When I asked for info on the strength of the struts that will be needed and where the mount points go on the one UK group I didn't get much info, other than they use similar struts as used on an older Range Rover. If I can get an idea of the length and strength of the struts and the placement of the mounts, I can then make up any brackets that are needed. Photos and some basic measurements are all I need to get going.
If I can get this working on My Disco I'll be able to make up kits for others that would also like to do this mod.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Hi Paul, I see you asked the same question on a less cerebral Forum where they are telling you where to buy gas struts! :D

I'm not sure you'll find your answer but...

I did the same job on my Merc 280SL boot lid years ago.
It has a sort of torsion bar set up to hold the boot open but these had become limp and flaccid like Mike Nel's penis.

I went to a gas strut supplier and they gave me the info to calculate the anchor points.
It took a bit of thought, but I got it right.
My brother made the bracket.

The only issue was that I only put one on the RHS and bought one that was too strong, so had to push it closed on the RHS, pushing on the LHS threatened to twist the lid...

The strutt does not need to be very strong....

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Yes, Manny, I wanted to get as many answers as possible so I've asked the same question on a few forums. Hopefully I'll get good info from them all.
I'll be checking what force is necessary to lift the bonnet with a pull scale. From the info I collect I'll be able to give the suppliers the correct info.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Calculating the geometry takes thought, but it's not too difficult...

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Paul,

If of any help, I fitted struts to my Off Road Trailer RTT to help with the opening process, as the canopy made it just too heavy to open alone. The struts opened the tent 60 degrees, then the rest was easy to pull open.

For the fitment part, I did some sketches to determine the anchor points and the rest was easy. I made some special brackets from aluminum.

Worked well. I did not use high pressure struts. My guess that the weight is about the same as a bonnet

Can't remember the pressure of the struts, sorry.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Land Rover should fit all their vehicles with auto opening bonnets that open as soon as you stop and pull up the handbrake.
:D

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

That would be nice Manny.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Gas struts are nice, but you have to be opening your Bonnet a lot to want to do the conversion.

I only did my 280SL because the springs were pap and the boot lid wouldn't stay open...

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Exactly manny .

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

I'm with Manny. Unless your arms are noodles and you are constantly in the engine bay, the cost and effort isn't worth it.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

I have looked at this exercise as a R&D project with a view on making kits available for sale.
There have been a few people that have said that they would be interested in a kit when I have them available.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Erin

Post by Erin »

My Duster, and my previous bus had them, and I must say, they were great...but I'm a lazy bastard.

The new(er) bus is the poverty spec Transporter, and doesn't - I'd consider add in one...lazy bastard remember.

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

I am too scared to try this on my Paj. I may just buckle that aluminum bonnet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Henri, if you fit one each side it shouldn't be a problem. The structure under the bonnet skin makes them quite ridged. On one of the USA Disco forums most of the guys only fit one gas strut on the right side. They don't seem to have any problems operating it like that. The factory fitted stay on the Disco only supports the bonnet on the left hand side. All that said, I'd rather fit one on each side.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Maybe one day.
Going to tackle a steel bumper project first!