Erin Bosch, Insurance

Air Jacks still relevant?

Bugjuic

Air Jacks still relevant?

Post by Bugjuic »

Are air jacks still really relevant? Were they ever relevant?

Having a look at older posts etc. and searching the internet, there are many mixed reviews and opinions about air-jacks?

I have recently acquired an air jack(was a bargain so I took it), and testing it out at home, found myself having to re-adjust it a few times, always wanting to throw the vehicle over to one side or the other, which would make it useful or dangerous in recovery situation, still deciding :? ...

However it makes for a dumb idea as a jack to quickly put trestles underneath your vehicle, hind sight 20/20, bad idea.

But in an off-road situations, I can see it being used in sand, maybe even mud, possibly rocks if you got hung up on one.

I also see it as an alternative to a high lift jack and less dangerous, especially when going off-roading completely alone and remote.

BUT, in saying all of this, never have I joined a trip or 4x4 track and saw someone bringing one along, or having said "Damn I wish I had an Air-Jack right about now?". Another flaw is, that the Bag is massively big to log around, and would actually only work if you have roof rack space available?

Anyone ever used one in a real sticky situation and was glad they had one? Or is it just another sales gimmick?

Photo for attention only:
Desert-Air-Jack.jpg
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

mplester

Post by mplester »

I have used mine a number of times, both during recovery in mud and when needing to work on a vehicle.in the bush. They work well but always ensure that the wheels on the ground are locked . Bulk is the biggest problem with them.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I have one, have never used it or needed it.
But I have seen them used and they were a great help.
But bulky and heavy.
I no longer take mine with....
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

I used to just pack my trolley jack and a wooden plank.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

We used my one to jack another vehicle that had a tire sidewall cut on the River Trip in 2018. The vehicle was on a rockey section where the vehicles jack wasn't working. We lifted it enough for the wheel change which was then easy to do. As mentioned before you have to chock the other wheels properly so that the vehicle doesn't slide. When inflating the bag you should do it slowly and it a controlled way. It can easily tip a vehicle on its side if you don't stop inflating in time.
At SAA Technical we trained to do aircraft recovery with bigger versions of the airbags. They were mainly used for aircraft that had landed with the landing gear up or that had gone off the runway and got bogged down in soft sand. They have amazing lifting power and are very useful when used correctly. As said before their only drawback is the space they take up in your vehicle.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Erin

Post by Erin »

Air jack would probably be useful for the bus. There aren't many jacking points on it, and it always feels like the original jack wants to kill me.

Jadranko

Post by Jadranko »

every tool have purpose.
practice makes it perfect.

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

Ok thanks for all the replies, maybe get myself bogged, and try using it, as Joe said, practice makes perfect...

Also thought it was a handy tool(unlike Manny), but never see people using it.
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6