The House Doctor

Brake disc and pad glazing

Samaya

Brake disc and pad glazing

Post by Samaya »

I don't know enough of this type of problem but it is causing a lot of noise after I replaced the pads on my moms vehicle. I got Brembo pads from Midas. My mechanic cousin told me that the pads are too hard (and he also has never heard of Brembo) for the discs - I have no idea if he is talking ka* or telling the truth...

So the pads and break discs look like they've been polished to a lovely shine which is the glazing apparently. I am going to replace the pads again but with Safeline.

Any advice here would be great
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

It can happen. Some pad compounds are developed for high performance use: they fade and wear less but are extremely hard. Your "mechanic" cousin is a knob if he has never heard of Brembo, they are OEM for a lot of sports cars. Safeline is a good budget brand. Once you fit them, go onto an open road at around 100-120kmh and do a couple of emergency stops to bed in the pads and remove the glaze.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Brembo is one of the biggest brake systems manufacturers worldwide. I wouldn't trust a mechanic that hasn't heard of them. Safeline is very much a "budget" pad.
The problem is because of the compound change in pad material without skimming the disk to remove the material imbeded in the surface of the disk.
Take out the pads and give them a light sand by placing a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface rubbing the pad over it. Refit the pads and take the car for a drive and do 4 or 5 hard braking applications. After this the pads should be ok.
Noise from the brakes is normally from incorrect fitment or not fitting the anti-rattle clips. You can also put good coating on Copperslip on the back of the pad and where it contacts the bracket on the sides.
Tell your cousin he should go back to Appy School and redo his trade theory. This is basics for fitting brake pads to any vehicle.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

HenriSteyn

Post by HenriSteyn »

Skimming seemed to be a money spinner for the Mitsu agents I used in Boksburg.
They skimmed my Paj disc's under service plan twice. After the second time there was a shudder. I insisted on new discs under warranty, which they did. Any subsequent service thereafter I refuse skimming, even at the latest service at a franchise.

Paul#25

Post by Paul#25 »

Henri, as I said in my post above, a light skim is only required if you change compounds of friction material or the surface is not completely flat anymore.
The problem with most of the dealerships workshop is that they skim the discs with a machine on the vehicle and the operator is not properly trained. The skimming should be done on a skimming lathe that cuts both sides at the same time to ensure that they are parallel. The other problem is when the discs is mounted in the machine, the mating surfaces aren't properly cleaned to ensure that the setup is true in both angles.
The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
2004 Disco 2 Td5

Bugjuic

Post by Bugjuic »

Brembo Disks are good. Very big brand!!!

Add EBC brake-pads with them and you are sorted. Beware using pads that are too hard, rather have the pad the material that wears, and save the disk.
It's all relative...
Peet Kruger
2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Samaya wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:09 am
My mechanic cousin told me that the pads are too hard (and he also has never heard of Brembo)...
As Jakes said - Your cousin (who is definitely NOT a mechanic) is a knob.
Bet you he has never heard of Bosch, Aisen, Caltex, Fuchs & Exedy either.

Ask him which company makes OEM parts & post his reply here... :D :lol: :)

Good post Paul...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

He's a Brakpan Mechanic...

Ok so I'll just get a set of Safeline and fit them. Do the 100km/h run and bed them in

Thanks for the advice as well Paul. This GV is my mother car which she does not drive very hard. So I think if I remove the glaze it will just form again after a bit.
Cheese, canals and mud. Flattest country in the world. Wish they had 4x4'ing here