Mikem Supsension

Toyota Fortuner G6 2.8 4x4 MT Clutch Failure

Bogaards

Toyota Fortuner G6 2.8 4x4 MT Clutch Failure

Post by Bogaards »

As a lot of you might know I recently had a clutch failure on my Fortuner after 71,000 km.
The model is a 2018 GD6 2.8 4x4 Manual Transmission

I am starting this thread to share my experience and should it ever happen to someone else they will know what to do or what to expect. Hopefully for most it will never be required.

So, what do I use the Fortuner for:
1. I do 4x4 trails - say a trail every 6-8 weeks
2. I tow a Bush Lapa trailer. Max weight will be 1.8 tons, but I estimate it on average to be around 1.5 tons
3. It is not my daily driver, therefore it does not spend much time in traffic
4. The engine has not been modified for more power in any way

I will be posting the events as it happened in the following replies and keep updating accordingly

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

We were on our way to 3 Provinces for the weekend. Close to Standerton the Fortuner started behaving strange. The revs would randomly jump up from 2500 to 3000. As if something is slipping. In Standerton when pulling away the revs would jump high, but with the feeling of struggling to pull away. We stopped and when I got out I smelled the clutch. We decided to turn around and head back home. I was sure that we should ate least be able to reach home.

About 30 km outside Standerton there was no power going to the wheels. Had to stop next to the road in the dark and it was pouring down... This was around 19:30. Not a good situation to be in with the family in the car. I mean who do you call? The vehicle was going nowhere, not even slow (it was so bad that I could put it in a gear and it would just idle). Getting out again I could smell the clutch. It was obvious, it was gone completely. Question then was who should you call? Not really a lot of people around Standerton that I know... Ended up calling the Tuff Stuff emergency line. Man, were they good. "No problem sir, where do you need to go, how many people are in the car? We will arrange for you to be picked up and dropped of at HOME." Within 30 minutes TS arranged everything. The tow truck with a vehicle to take us home arrived at 20:45. Put the Fortuner on the low bed and hooked up the bush lapa and a driver took us home. We arrived home at 23:30 and the Fortuner and Trailers was there at 00:30.

Next morning I had to make a plan to get the Fortuner to a Toyota dealership. It is now at Monument Toyota Constantia. Hopefully I will get feedback today. It has an extended warranty (car has 71,000 km on), but not really sure if it will cover this. A bit of a waiting game now...

Not sure how this will turn out further, will update the thread as we get feedback...

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Update

Toyota submitted the Warranty claim to Toyota innovation. They now need to strip/open the Clutch and send pictures. R2,000 to do this. Then if the claim gets rejected the replacement of the clutch will be R21,500. This will be a big financial knock… Time to start considering all the options out there…

Note - in order to get to the clutch it means that they have to remove the transfer case and gearbox.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Just another update:

The clutch has been stripped yesterday and they took pictures that was send for review.

The Fortuner is with Monument Toyota Constantia.

They say I can expect feedback early today.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Just a note - the Fortuner does have an Toyota extended warranty up to 6 years.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Siener Manny predicts a no claim verdict....
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Mad Manny wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:46 am
Siener Manny predicts a no claim verdict....
As Andrew and I have said: a clutch is just a big brake pad and they don't have a warranty for those either.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

Lets wait and see for the feedback today...

FWM

Post by FWM »

They will probably claim driver abuse as they always do.
However if they pick up something else that caused the premature failure you might be in luck. Holding thumbs for you.

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

After 71,000 kms and 4 years of trails and towing? I really doubt it. Just 1 steep incline with a 2 ton trailler will fry a standard clutch in high range.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

jakeslouw wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:12 am
After 71,000 kms and 4 years of trails and towing? I really doubt it. Just 1 steep incline with a 2 ton trailler will fry a standard clutch in high range.
Now that raises another question, why rate it for 3 tons towing and offroad driving? Then it seems as if there is a bit of an unwritten limit? What is to far for the standard clutch? Is there an unwritten limit? My trailer is surely not the heaviest? Pretty sure there are people doing more offroad work that what I do?

This then raises the question, should you invest in a warranty if you will not be covered? Would it then be better to rather put it on the side and plan for a replacement and replace it with something better?

This is also what this thread is about, to make it a learning experience. So all the technical input is highly appreciated.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

On the topic of failure:

What will they look for when opening the clutch? What signs will there be?

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

The outcome and what has happened will most likely end up in a video. This according to me will give vital information to owners with Manual Transmissions in newer vehicles.

Bogaards

Post by Bogaards »

FWM wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:07 am
They will probably claim driver abuse as they always do.
However if they pick up something else that caused the premature failure you might be in luck. Holding thumbs for you.
Thank you very much.

Either way their response will be out in the open and hopefully it will help someone else going forward.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

If its burnt it turns blue - if its blue they won't pay.

Mine was burnt blue - according to the black & white photo they sent me (same dealership)...

"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'