Healthy Sleep

Satellite Overlays on Garmin GPS

iandvl

Satellite Overlays on Garmin GPS

Post by iandvl »

I had a little too much time on my hands whilst in Luanda recently during a two-week business trip. A conversation I had with Psyphin here on the forum sparked an interest in satellite maps on Garmin GPS units and I thought it would be something I could use to while away my time. Moreso because, after having recently done my mini-river trip and having run into some difficulty, this could be something extremely useful.

I've done four river trips. Two with the Patrol forum and two where I've led a smaller group into the Klein Letaba - as was the case with this year's one. The biggest issue with the river trip this year is that there is a hell of a lot more water in the Letaba than normal. I entered at the standard entry point, and spent quite a bit of time bundu bashing through reeds and similar, before we were blocked completely by a very large body of water. We decided to backtrack a couple of kilometres exit the river and try to enter it further down. Stopping the convoy at the tar road, we hauled out the trusty 1:50,000 topo maps and worked out more or less how we could get into the river further down. I tried getting satellite images from Google Earth on my phone to get a clearer understanding of where we could enter the river, but the reception was too bad. Our educated guesses on a possible entry point from the paper maps worked well, and we were eventually in the river again. However, my conversation with Kevin prompted me into thinking about how useful it would be to have a satellite overlay on one's GPS for eventualities like this...

Garmin has always provided a paid-for service called "Birds Eye Imagery" which allows one to get this capability on a subscription basis. Googling for it now, it appears as if this service has been discontinued. But, being the tight-fisted, cheap and stingy South African I am, I've never subscribed to it. So I started digging through the Internet to find ways of doing this for free.... And then I cottoned onto this web-page:

https://www.cacheupnb.com/resources/gui ... s-creator/

Basically, using a web application to generate a "Custom Map" for uploading onto a Garmin device which supports Custom maps (mine does). The link to the software, Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) on that page is outdated / incorrect. The actual link is here:

https://mobac.sourceforge.io/

MOBAC is Java-based, so one will need a Java runtime environment as well. You can Google for that. :)

MOBAC by default does not include the Google Earth satellite imagery tile servers in its configuration, and by default makes use of the Open Street Map project tile servers. This is against the terms of use for OSM, so upon first execution, one is probably not going to see many maps when zooming in as the tiles do not load. To fix this, one can follow the instructions over here:

https://antonishapsas.wordpress.com/201 ... apsources/

Basically, create a file called "google.xml" containing the text on the above-link. Restarting MOBAC and selecting "Google" from the list of map sources now provides access to the Google Earth satellite imagery. Win... :)

Usage is easy, but settings (especially the zoom level) will need to be customised according to the device you want to use (ie: screen resolution and similar). Simply select the area you're interested in, select the zoom-level, click on "Add Selection" you want and then generate the atlas. One caveat: you cannot have more than 500,000 tiles in a single custom map.

It may take a while for the map to be generated originally as the tiles need to be downloaded from Google. Subsequent runs (where tiles have already been cached locally) are much faster...
MOBAC-1.png
MOBAC-2.png
The custom map can be imported into BaseCamp, where you will have your "routable" map (ie: tracks4africa / whatever) with the map displayed in the background. Here's the section of the Klein Letaba in BaseCamp... :)
BaseCamp-3.png

To install the map on your device, connect to a computer and copy the KML file generated by MOBAC into the Garmin/CustomMaps folder.
garmin.jpeg
Just a quick how-to should anybody feel interested in playing with this functionality... :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80

jakeslouw

Post by jakeslouw »

Thanks Ian. I'll pass this on to the enduro guys that usually are running a bike-mounted GPS and who would like to know the topography in front of their route.

BushWacker

Post by BushWacker »

Thanks Ian … this looks both interesting & useful.
Im interested in all ‘overlays’ for GPS routing
… and eg the old Ordinance Survey / Topo map
detailing & layout that I used extensively
over many years past.
... Famous Fiver VoorLoper ...
... Veni Vidi Vici ...

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Hope Paul#25 sees this... that man has a Masters Degree in Rigtingbefoktighied...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

grips

Post by grips »

Thanks Ian very interesting.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

iandvl

Post by iandvl »

A side note on this. For interest's sake / testing, I've generated the following overlays in the meantime. These are all at max zoom / max resolution (ie: Zoom level 19).

1: De Wildt
2: Moegatle
3: Piesangskloof
4: Klein Letaba section of River Trip up until Kruger fence.

I'm doing other sections I am interested in as I have time. But as mentioned earlier, there are limitations in terms of the size of the map I can generate at a single point in time.

I had thought I had managed to grab the majority of the sub-continent's tiles, but I see that was only until "zoom level 9". Since then I have been busy and I do now have the entire country at "zoom level 16". This will become better as my download jobs progress.... :)

If anybody wants a copy of the above mentioned custom maps I have already generated, or have specific requirements, just send me a PM. If I've already generated them, I'll share what I have. If I haven't, I'll send them on when I do. :)
Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
ORRA: H80