Healthy Sleep

New BFG KO2

XJ Junkie

New BFG KO2

Post by XJ Junkie »

Notably, BFG used beadlocks in their advert to keep them on the rims, which is no surprise.

https://www.facebook.com/BFGoodrichZA/v ... 135636869/
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Are you dyslexic Neil?
Flex is overrated

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Myabe

grips

Post by grips »

Well Neil they might suck in sand driving but I have a very good history with BF`s. Taking a set from one of my business 4x4`s tomorrow at 90k km.
Tests here on the mines made the move to BF`s. They outlast every single tyre tested. Side wall cuts the big killer and BF`s seems to have the best side walls. But Yes they suck as sand tyres

I love the 35 Maxxis on the Yank Ranger but am afraid they will not see 30k km.
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

When a tyre manufacturer charges as much as BFG does for its products, then I think it’s fair to expect that they perform in all conditions, even sand. Especially since sand is where an underperforming product can be exposed. I think the sidewalls are just too rigid.

Then if you look at most of the popular tyre comparison reviews, they are nowhere near the top of the list.

My Maxxis Bighorns also didn’t get good mileage but they’d out brake my BFG AT’s on wet tar.

As far as mileage goes, it depends on what you want. Any performance tyre will never outlast one that’s designed for longevity. There’s always going to be a trade off. Personally I prefer performance over distance.

If BFG are so good then why do they keep coming up with newer versions?

KurtG

Post by KurtG »

Newer versions?

The KO was how old before the KO2 came out?

The KM2 was how old before the KM3 came out?

I think you are very limited in your off-roading experience to factor sand driving as the one and only KRA for tyres.

It is also very naive to think that a strong sidewall should flex, it’s just not possible to have both and is counter intuitive.

As for the tyre tests, those tests are for day to day use with the odd little gravel trip, so Michelin have always stayed away from sponsoring a set of BFG because they say that the BFG does not compete with the SUV spec products that they use in the tests.

As for price, yes they are more expensive but then so are the Cooper ST Maxx which is a direct competitor to the KO2.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Disclaimer: my next set of tyres will
Most likely be the Michelin LTX as they are better all rounders and I am no longer doing heavy off-road rocky trails like I was when I decided on the KO2’s I currently have on the Pajero. I paid R3000 per tyre under a special, there is no way I would have paid R4500
Flex is overrated

Mike-PS

Post by Mike-PS »

Well said Kurt - it’s about the application at the end of the day - there is no one size fits all scenario here.

I had the LTX’s before I changed to the Ko2’s and the LTX for daily purposes and moderate off roading are by far the better all rounder than most brands including their bigger brother the BF’s. However I plan to do a lot of cross country over landing and will still choose the KO2’s - I will not compromise in safety.

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

KurtG wrote: I think you are very limited in your off-roading experience to factor sand driving as the one and only KRA for tyres.
You live in Gauteng, drive Pajero & presumably have BFG, which would all indicate that you haven’t done any proper trails.
Last edited by XJ Junkie on Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

KurtG wrote:
It is also very naive to think that a strong sidewall should flex, it’s just not possible to have both and is counter intuitive.
A sidewall can be strong without being rigid. The number of Ply’s vs Ply Rating are not the same. It’s all about the design. So it’s entirely possible.

grips

Post by grips »

Neil I have lost two 35 Maxxis and one 33 with side wall cuts

Also have de beaded BF's on few occasions. Did the Lüderitz Walvis Namib trip with BF's at 0.6 bar. That was 600km of serious dune driving with a fully laden 4x4.

For what I use BF's for I am happy. Had Coopers on my business 4x4 's while ago and were very dissapointed.

But I think tyre choices are influenced in what you do and the area you operate in.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

ThysleRoux

Post by ThysleRoux »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 pm
KurtG wrote: I think you are very limited in your off-roading experience to factor sand driving as the one and only KRA for tyres.
You live in Gauteng, drive Pajero & presumably have BFG, which would all indicate that you haven’t done any proper trails.
C'mon guys don't turn this forum into a personal willy measuring platform. Play the ball, not the man :)
I refuse to be POLITICALLY CORRECT to impress others - Deal with it
FLEX is UNDERRATED :twisted:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

ThysleRoux wrote:
C'mon guys don't turn this forum into a personal willy measuring platform. Play the ball, not the man :)
Agreed. The moderators should behave themselves.

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

I don't think that Kurt realised that Neil's comments refer to sand driving only.

Both parties were viewing the tyre from their own perspective - upcountry de-beading is seldom an issue & sand ability is secondary.

For example: I have de-beaded ONCE in my close to 100 4x4 outings, however, I am on my 2nd set of bash plates & my 2nd set of rock sliders.
On AD you don't even need bash plates or rock sliders.

So different environments.

Personally, I think BFG's are good, albeit grossly overpriced tyres. If I had to buy a set for Fearless now I'd go Power Trac...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

BFG are good tyres , i will not dispute that .. But , it comes at a price ! I am sure you should be able to get a tyre , "in the middle" , if you can put it that way ??

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Mad Manny wrote:I don't think that Kurt realised that Neil's comments refer to sand driving only.

Both parties were viewing the tyre from their own perspective - upcountry de-beading is seldom an issue & sand ability is secondary.

No, my comments weren’t limited to sand driving & he did realize because he specifically mentioned sand. That’s why I questioned his knowledge, & still do.

When I buy offroad tyres, I buy them for all types of terrains & won’t make excuses for manufacturers whose products get outperformed by another, especially when they charge so much more.
Mad Manny wrote:

For example: I have de-beaded ONCE in my close to 100 4x4 outings.

You won’t debead easily because Vaalies all run their tyres too hard. Also purely driving trails doesn’t push tyres & vehicles to their max at low pressures. Trails can be done at relatively high pressures compared to sand, so the tyre is never tested for all offroad applications.

Any tyre can debead, but our experience suggests that a BFG will debead where others won’t & much more frequently.

We’ve got a guy in our Club who has driven more challenge series’ year after years, more than anyone else I know. This is extreme stuff.
He’s always ran Coopers without any tyre incidents. Then he got sponsored a set of BFG. The inevitable happened & he couldn’t complete that obstacle, losing valuable points.

However, Coopers & Maxxis do also debead but that’s amplified but their popularity with the drivers. There aren’t too many challenge vehicles with BFG these days. Only a few.

I’ve even debeaded my Trepadors but not nearly as much as my BFGs.
Mad Manny wrote:

however, I am on my 2nd set of bash plates & my 2nd set of rock sliders.
On AD you don't even need bash plates or rock sliders.

So different environments.
Actually they are quite wise to put on for dune driving.