Mikem Supsension

Tare weight discussion

Mike Nel

Tare weight discussion

Post by Mike Nel »

Sitting in Punda Maria, drinking a beer. It’s crazy hot so can’t move.

Decided to Google different Off-road caravans.

Came across the Conqueror UEV14 for example and it’s weights doesn’t make sense.

It’s listed with a tare weight of 1450kg and GVM of 1800kg.

Is that tare weight with or without water? Reason I ask is that the van comes with a 190liter water tank. If filled you would be left with 160kg worth of stuff you can add.

Two jerry cans with diesel of petrol would take away another 40kgs of weight, give or take. Add a 90liter fridge with contents and all of a sudden you start running out of packing weight.

So. Tare weight. Is it absolute bone dry weight or is it including full water tanks or fuel tanks in vehicles?
2017 Land Cruiser 200
2022 Corolla Cross (Yes. It's a Hybrid)
BushLapa Ratel nr 731

Wave

Post by Wave »

TARE weight is empty, also no accessories, so the Jerry can brackets, ammo boxes, gas bottles, awning etc are not taken into account, this is a generalisation, but nearly every trailer or caravan manufacturer do this.

My Conqueror Comfort has a TARE of 535kgs, there is no way in hell that thing only weights that, I can only guess, it excludes the tent, water tanks, pull out kitchen, drawers, ammo boxes etc etc
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Ricof4e

Post by Ricof4e »

Mike I can almost guarantee you that the majority of 4x4 + off-road caravans on the roads are legally too heavy.

Just take the average double cab - fit 4 fat adults, some bags off wood, camping gear, beer and pooof - you are over its GVM.
Ranger Mildtrak
Scorpio Curry Cruiser
A tos-lookin', lunchbox, lipstick and powder puff carryin' home-built trailer

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Ricoffy wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:22 pm
...fit 4 fat adults, some bags off wood, camping gear, beer and pooof - you are over its GVM.
You could always leave the Poof home, with his feather boa & rainbow flag - just saying...
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'