The House Doctor

Modern Vehicle Traction Systems

grips

Post by grips »

grips wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 pm
Quack wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 pm
grips wrote:If you ever think TC can out perform good old lockers in sand or dune driving :D :D Sit back and think what you think is serious sand or dune driving might be just not so serious if TC can cope with it :o :o
So does that give me a bit of street cred in dune driving with traction control?🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Says the guy who pulled fuses and disconnected sensors and ended up with a gazzilion fault codes. :D :D :D

But Yes Derick you stand your man in he dunes with the v6 Amarok. Do not think guys with lesser 4x4`s can say the same. Then also Andre with his 100 series stock 4.5EFI with 35`s put up quite a show. :mrgreen:
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:
Now you are talking. Cubic inches, Horse Power vs incompetence of making full use of lockers. Image
I’m illustrating that there are variables. Lockers can also hinder a vehicle if it hasn’t got enough horses in sand.
Disclaimer: Uninformed, no research, just very strong opinions

Quack

Post by Quack »

XJ Junkie wrote:
grips wrote:If you ever think TC can out perform good old lockers in sand or dune driving :D :D Sit back and think what you think is serious sand or dune driving might be just not so serious if TC can cope with it :o :o
How about a 5.7 Hemi WK without lockers vs a 300 Tdi with lockers?
I’ll pick the Hemi any given day of the week! Even if it is just to listen to it idlingImage

What a life?!?😜

grips

Post by grips »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 pm
grips wrote:
Now you are talking. Cubic inches, Horse Power vs incompetence of making full use of lockers. Image
I’m illustrating that there are variables. Lockers can also hinder a vehicle if it hasn’t got enough horses in sand.
Lesser 4x4`s with lockers .......................................you don`t do sand and dunes :lol:

Quack

Post by Quack »

grips wrote:
XJ Junkie wrote:
grips wrote:
Lesser 4x4`s with lockers .......................................you don`t do sand and dunes Image

AmenImage🤣

When it comes to sand driving there is only three measurements that countImage

Interesting they are all three measured in inchesImage

What a life?!?😜

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:
Lesser 4x4`s with lockers .......................................you don`t do sand and dunes :lol:
Which locker would you say worked the best here, front or rear?

https://youtu.be/tuet3DHafgQ

grips

Post by grips »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:39 pm
grips wrote:
Which locker would you say worked the best here, front or rear?

https://youtu.be/tuet3DHafgQ
Front. If that Jeep had a proper v8, that was the perfect situation to break a front diff equipped with a locker.

grips

Post by grips »

Quack wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:36 pm
grips wrote:
XJ Junkie wrote:

Lesser 4x4`s with lockers .......................................you don`t do sand and dunes Image

AmenImage🤣

When it comes to sand driving there is only three measurements that countImage

Interesting they are all three measured in inchesImage

12 inches sounds better than 300mm :lol:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:
Front. If that Jeep had a proper v8, that was the perfect situation to break a front diff equipped with a locker.
Nope. I don’t have any lockers Image

grips

Post by grips »

XJ Junkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm
grips wrote:
I thought it were Jacques Jeep spinning away his Dana 44 reverse cut with a set of Spicer locking hubs donated by me.

Now if that Dana 30 of yours with out lockers outlasted that abuse you are missing some horses :lol: :lol: Neil I am only joking I admire your sand driving abilities.

That spinning wheel in my avatar was a run that I have lost some teeth on a open Dana 44 pinion :D :D

grips

Post by grips »

grips wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:26 pm
XJ Junkie wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm
grips wrote:
I thought it were Jacques Jeep spinning away his Dana 44 reverse cut with a set of Spicer locking hubs donated by me.

Now if that Dana 30 of yours with out lockers outlasted that abuse you are missing some horses :lol: :lol: Neil I am only joking I admire your sand driving abilities.

That spinning wheel in my avatar was a run that I have lost some tooth on a open Dana 44 pinion :D :D

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

grips wrote:

That spinning wheel in my avatar was a run that I have lost some teeth on a open Dana 44 pinion :D :D
Nope, that’s my Jeep & that’s not really abuse. I’ve given it much more than that Image.

I sort of agree & disagree about the power. That’s one area that I never bothered with much, for the reason you mentioned, because adding more power without adding yet more strength to the entire drivetrain is when things really start breaking with more regularity. I see it all the time. Power doesn’t always translate into traction.

The rear is actually a Dana 35 which has a terrible reputation. Yet I’ve never nuked one, only the spider gears.

The front is a D30 & the same story. Although I’ve bent a few & only nuked one. They also don’t do well when landing on top of a Cruisers bonnet Image.

Chris Stoffel

Post by Chris Stoffel »

It seems to me as if proper flex and solid axles are as good as traction control. Mostly.
Suzuki Jimny - Hobbit Car :cry:

XJ Junkie

Post by XJ Junkie »

Indeed Chris. Also, those things you mentioned are inherent, rather than reactive like TC is.

But the new 4x4’s that offer those traits we can count on one hand. So manufacturers are going to have to get even more clever with TC systems.

Even if we look at the improvements that’s happening on popular softroaders, their new versions have vastly better driver aids than outgoing models. The new Fortuna is a good example of this.