The House Doctor

Does driving style affect EGR oil buildup?

Shane

Does driving style affect EGR oil buildup?

Post by Shane »

I saw this post on fb. Vehicle had 280k km on.

Other posters were commenting that their vehicles, with similar/higher mileage were nowhere near as bad.

So the question arises - can driving style affect this and if so - how?Image

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shane on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wave

Post by Wave »

I think that the more cold cycles the engine does the more build up you will get.

So if you drive 2km to work and 2km home again everyday there will be a higher carbon/soot build up compared to a vehicle that starts and drives 20km or more per day. Less cold cycles with longer "up-to-temp" driving will result in less build up.
Geoff Craig
'24 Mitsu Triton
'08 Toyota Blade Master G
'10 Conqueror Comfort

Shane

Post by Shane »

I also wonder if driving style can affect this....

Some time ago there was a discussion on another forum about fuel efficiency in diesels.

A specific poster mentioned that his wife got better results - but tended to change gears at higher rpm.

The consensus was that people tend to labour motors too much as they are not really high revving to begin with.

Might that not be the case here?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

EGR recycles exhaust gases which might still have unburnt fuels in - that allows them to burn out the fuel for less emissions and lower consumption.

All that kak on there is soot deposits.

I'm not sure of how they are programmed, but certainly, at larger throttle openings the EGR is closed to make power.

when the motor is overfuelling - when it's labouring at low rpm is certainly when they are open because that is when a diesel runs rich.

so, yes, changing at higher revs, keeping the revs up (not labouring the motor) will mean a lower EGR cycle which will mean less deposits.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

One some diesels the egr is also used as the blow off valve.

I think the manufacturers got told that the egr should be open up to 2000 rpm. I saw on a couple of diesels with that kak on that they close completely at 2000 rpm.

They also never open more that 10% under load. When you take your foot off the accelerator under load, they open more, to become the blow off.

Anycase, yes. Driving like your grandad will gunk up your intake.

A side note: Diesels does not need throttle bodies to run. Speed is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, but since some tit decided that turbo vehicles should have an egr, diesels had to be given throttle bodies to promote the egr use.
The woman in my life knows what I spent on my JKU.
So because of that, I know exactly how much I spent on it.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Ginger wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I think the manufacturers got told that the egr should be open up to 2000 rpm. I saw on a couple of diesels with that kak on that they close completely at 2000 rpm.

They also never open more that 10% under load. When you take your foot off the accelerator under load, they open more, to become the blow off.

A side note: Diesels does not need throttle bodies to run. Speed is controlled by the amount of fuel injected, but since some tit decided that turbo vehicles should have an egr, diesels had to be given throttle bodies to promote the egr use.

I must say, I don't really keep up with diesel 'technology'

All the kak they put onto small diesels are simply there to try and get them to comply with standards they are never going to be able to achieve.

and make no mistake, I am besotted with the Puma D90 - love it. but stick your EGR and your throttle plate right up the bunny hugger's most fundamental orifice.

a diesel motor needs to have a cylinder full of something gaseous to compress so that the required pressure for ignition is achieved when the fuel is injected. Closing the throttle plate to keep out good old atmosphere and filling it with exhaust gas instead just stuffs things up and makes k a k.

throw away components.

sure, emissions are lower but it's way less environmentally friendly .
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Apocalypse wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 pm
Ginger wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I must say, I don't really keep up with diesel 'technology'

All the kak they put onto small diesels are simply there to try and get them to comply with standards they are never going to be able to achieve.

and make no mistake, I am besotted with the Puma D90 - love it. but stick your EGR and your throttle plate right up the bunny hugger's most fundamental orifice.

a diesel motor needs to have a cylinder full of something gaseous to compress so that the required pressure for ignition is achieved when the fuel is injected. Closing the throttle plate to keep out good old atmosphere and filling it with exhaust gas instead just stuffs things up and makes k a k.

throw away components.

sure, emissions are lower but it's way less environmentally friendly .
less fuel used = less emissions caused. One type of pollution just changes to another when you have an egr fitted... an egr just happens to cause the engine to use a bit more fuel...

But, one type of pollution hangs around in the air as smog, and the other goes to rest on plants and the ground as soot...
The woman in my life knows what I spent on my JKU.
So because of that, I know exactly how much I spent on it.