Healthy Sleep

Suspension Experts

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

Great Input like Manny Said.
Thanks Everyone.

🙈 now i am more confused then ever. 🙈

Its is the only picture i have at this stage...
Dont know if it will help.

this is a cheap (not so cheap) import form Tailand.
its a 4" diff drop and it drops the shock mounts with 4" as well.
with that everything stays standard, everything just moves down 4"s .. they use the standard OEM shocks.
I had the extended shocks and coils, gave me 50mm lift on the coils as standard with most off road shocks..
so with everything just moving down the angles stayed the same. (supposed to) as a.standard Ranger.
Adding the 50mm on the coils everything should have moved down by 50mm (like with a normal - lifted 4x4 vehicle fitting OME..

and it does, on most of these vehicles that have this setup.. just on mine something didnt move that should have moved.

I dont know... to much technical stuff for a stupid person.

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

The kit comes with Upper control arms that is supposed to put everything on top in the correct position.

as you can see in the picture the lower control arm looks like it is sitting to high, that ball joint needs to move down a little.. that will realise a lit of pressure on the coil.

Oh.

this is a 2013 T6 Ranger...
Attachments
20210317_171915.jpg

david bfreesani

Post by david bfreesani »

I was under the impression it had a separate coil and shock, but I see you have a coil-over-shock setup. Your ride height is determined by the coil only.
The picture shows your lower control arm is not correct. I agree with you that it could have a bit more lift. That control arm should have a slight inclination in the opposite direction. But you can also see one of my points starting to play out, in that your steering Tierod is starting to gain a fair angle. Seems you have a steering rack setup, and not a steering box with draglink, so you can get away with a lot more angle.

The only way to get more lift out of that setup, is to see if you have an adjustment on the coil. They sometimes have an adjustment boss that turns to lift the carrier portion of the coil with a cam setup to lift or drop it. Or you will need to extend the coil-over mount with a bracket on the top or bottom.

I still have a concern that you are running your tyres off badly, and that the geometry of the top control arm is not right, which is affecting your camber. Would help if we could see the printout from the wheel alignment which you should have had done after a modification like this.

When you say that it drops the coil-over mount. I presume it does that on the top mount, as the bottom mount looks very standard to me. It would have been great if you had the before and after measurements of distances like the coil length. That way you could have checked to see if a 2" longer unit would have been enough.

**** Disclaimer****
If you don't have the know-how, please get someone to help you with what I am about to suggest. Do not drive the car with any modifications that you are not comfortable with, it could be dangerous...

Get a spacer in place at that mount I circled in red, and see how it affects your ride height. You can experiment without having to take it out on the road, so no heavy complicated engineering stuff at this point. We just want to see how the height reacts to a bigger mount which would lift the coil-over at this point. It would also be interesting to see how much droop you have on the suspension with and without the coil in place. I can't see where your bump stops are located, so can't say if they moved with the lift kit or not.
Attachments
20210317_171915.jpg
David vd Merwe
1997 2.7TD Nissan Sani SFA
150mm Lift, 33" rubber, dual transfer cases

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

Thanks for all the feedback David.

see to me it feels like the coil is compressed more then what it should be. adding another spacer where you suggest might / will compress it even more..

with the previous setup I had Shock spacers on top of the coilover, giving me 70mm lift.. 20mm Spacer and Coil.

the Steering tie rod / driveshaft was at a much worse angle without any issues for 30 000km.
I added the diff drop just to better those angles... which it did.

like i said, and like you said, the lower control arm seems to be the issue... need to get that point to move down.
I could add the 20mm spacer on top.. that should give us a good idea on if it will move if the shock was extended?
I am just afraid that would compress the shock even more.

Drivability and saftey wise I dont see any issues.. the vehicle still handles perfecly except when i hit a bump the front shocks bottom out and you can feel that theres no play for impact absorbtion... 🤔... thats where my problem is and thats whats eating my tires.

I think once the angles on the lower control arm is better, giving me more play and pushing the wheel down more will correct the alignment as well.

I just need that 40 to 50mm more.

david bfreesani

The coil carries the car. Nothing else is going to give you ride height but the coil. So if the coil is too compressed, it is not designed for the weight of the car. With a coil-over shock, it now makes the problem that of the shock as well, as they are designed to work together as a unit. So if the coil is bottoming out, the shock is as well. The difference is, the shock can pick up major damage if it is bashing into its bump limit. Lifting the vehicle will get that lower control arm to a flatter position. You rather want that lower arm sloping down away from the vehicle, compared to its present angle. I see your driveshaft is also running up to the wheel, where traditionally, a downward angle is expected, Although that is not a rule or prerequisite.

I have a feeling that a spacer will not sort your problem out. The coil compression will stay the same, and your problem will also persist if the coil is too compressed because it can not carry the car.
David vd Merwe

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

I hear you.
thing is... before the Diff Drop, those coils were perfect.

david bfreesani

Then I am lost. Maybe jack the car up, remove the coils and cycle the suspension from full droop to full bump and see if you have any binding or funky angles developing through the movement. But an overly compressed coil tells me there is too much weight for it to carry.
David vd Merwe

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

This is a Photo of before i installed the drop kit with the same coils and a 20mm spacer.
Attachments
IMG-20210412-WA0007.jpg

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

this is the same coils with a 35mm spacer...
Attachments
IMG-20210412-WA0009.jpg

Irondog4x4

Post by Irondog4x4 »

I am starting to think that you might be correct.
I might need to get longer shocks with stronger coils to push that lower control arm down more.

What i dont get is that with the standard setup on this diff drop you can use your OEM coils and shocks and they are still long enough.

Dont worry I have been lost for over a year with this.
No one is / was able to help me.

Your help up to now has been the most i could get.

grips

Post by grips »

Your coil over needs ro extend the same amount as the lift gained from the drop kit..
You will never find me without Stroh or a 4x4 :D

Michaelmyb

Post by Michaelmyb »

Hi,
Do anyone know what is the safest height to lift the suspension on a Jimmy, I see 40mm to 50mm in the market
Thank you
Regards

Mad Manny

Post by Mad Manny »

Michael, watch this...

https://youtu.be/wd-aGIAZfZk
Last edited by Mad Manny on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No one ever got stuck - in mid air!"

2010 Fortuner D-4D 4x4 'Fearless'
2006 Conqueror Conquest 'Gearless'

AndreasR

Post by AndreasR »

Michael, might be best to start a new thread about your question.

Michaelmyb

Post by Michaelmyb »

Hi, thanks for the advice
Would be nice to see other Jimny drivers views on this, especially when you drive on road, the body roll
Regards