Mikem Supsension

Cam shafts and off idle performance

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

About the only time I have had to deal with cams was when I shoe horned an 327 chevy small block into a series 2 shorty (mated to the original gearbox :lol: ) and the second hand motor I got had after market cams fitted. I swapped them back to stock shortly after I got the motor running.

Didn't get to drive it much as the gearbox tossed its toys..... wonder why :lol:
Was fun off road while it lasted and learnt a lot about what does not work.

Don't think I will be changing cams on this motor. Does quite well as it is both on road and off.

Wooky

Post by Wooky »

So after 7 months I think I can finally put this issue to bed.....

Looks like it all came down to fueling in the end. I suppose modifying a bike carb to fit in an application like this comes with its associated school fees.
What I have done to cure the initial problem.....

1/ Changed out the plugs to one stage hotter - this help quite a bit to keep them clean
2/ Had a stiffer carb slide spring made up to work with the engine airflow requirements - this made the biggest difference
3/ Had to lower the float height by 1mm to lean out the pilot circuit as I was in between jet sizes
4/ Adjusted the needle once I got the bottom end fueling sorted
5/ Fitted a 5mm secondary spark gap in the HT feed to the distributor.

All in all she is running like a champ and quite happy with the performance and fuel usage.